Small Victories

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kasey, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Callistope

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I got my hair cut and now I don't look like a girl. Nobody's used my correct pronouns yet, though.

2. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not saying anything =/= not noticing anything. :wink:

Grats.

3. korovin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    had a really good experience calling the youth clinic the other day about birth control because my period gets my dysphoria going so bad. really should have done it long ago tbh but oh well. anyways, the person i talked to seemed to actually know a lot about trans things, no questions asked at all. it was like "ok so i'm a transman and want birth control because of dysphoria" and they were like "ok let's schedule an appointment!"

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a small pick-me-up to realize that I have more arm hair than my brothers. :grin:

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bought hair clippers and taught my fiancee how to cut my hair with them. She gave me a haircut yesterday and she did a great job! This may not seem like much, but getting my haircut was a huge source of anxiety because hairdressers are always getting in my business and making me uncomfortable. They always try to give me a more feminine cut no matter how masculine I am dressed and I'm too self conscious to really spell out that I want a man's haircut not a fucking pixie cut lol. Just hearing the word pixie cut puts me in panic mode. I am much more comfortable telling my fiancee exactly what I want and she understands. So now I never have to go through that hell again.

#1825 Rickystarr, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  6. KayJay

I am having my first pedicure in like 5 minutes.

7. Poison

My sister sees me as her brother, which is soo amazing to me.. We have a game called "the sister game", and when I mentioned the game, she corrected me saying that it is'nt called like that anymore, because I'm her brother :grin:

8. Pumpion

Awww, that's such a great victory <3 Congrats dude :grin:

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just attempted painting my nails for the first time. I'm fairly certain I did terribly lol. Although I feel very nice right now, and it was a very liberating thing for me, especially since coming out as gender nonconforming. :slight_smile:

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also discovered painting nails recently :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's cool, isn't it? I always thought I can't do it, because I keep on doing something to my hands, and hence they look ugly and the polish chips off quickly, and since I'm not too patient with doing it precisely - but who cares? :grin:

11. Lazuri

Painting nails is a great way to feel more feminine because you never really realize how often you look at your hands during a normal day. That's why my nails are long and well cared for.

As for actually painting the nails, let me give you a tip; start every nail by putting the brush square in the middle of the nail with the brush angled away from your fingertips and then push the brush upwards towards the rim of the nail so that you can get as close to the skin as possible. Once you've done that, do a stroke in the opposite direction, towards the fingertips and then just do the sides. This is how pros do it and it works really well.

12. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had my first therapy appointment today. My therapist has little doubt that I am trans and has started calling me my chosen name.

13. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bought myself a tie today :slight_smile: It's massive on me and no one else knows and I'll probably never wear it but it's mine.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the most unique experiences at stop and shop. This time a guy kept staring at me. He was with his son. He then came up to me and said "excuse me, I don't mean to come off weird but I have the utmost respect for you. I wish more people had your courage. Right now I want my son to meet more people like you. I don't know what he will be like some day but all I want is him to be happy with whatever he chooses".

15. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so awesome. Makes me a little misty.

Also, RickyStarr & LacyBi.. Nice posts! :thumbsup:

My middle sister was driving through yesterday and stayed with me. We had a great time and she was super-validating! She was so funny... She wanted to see my clothes to make sure I had good fashion sense. She was being a good big sister to her (new) little sister. It was very sweet. She approved, btw, and even gave a big thumbs up to my burgeoning shoe collection. :icon_bigg

16. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Went to a transgender protest for trans rights.
    I feel accomplished for the day.

17. Lazuri

That's really nice, if only to meet a person who only wishes for his child to be happy and educates him in how gender works; it's the only way to combat the prejudice we face today. What did you say back?

I've had some progress lately as well. I was going to mention it earlier, but I've been feeling like shit the last couple of days so I've just been resting. anyways, I was taking a shower because I felt so sick and I decided to train my voice a bit and it finally happened. I've heard about people just having their voice "click" and it all became clear to them and that's basically what happened to me. I just sort of accidentally stumbled into the feminine setting and my voice clicked and got stuck there. It's not perfect and my dynamic range is shit, but I found the setting and now I just need to practice and tune it.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I said sheepishly "thanks". Then I said well I'm glad to have gotten a positive response, which is pretty much all I get from people in places. Then I told him you're a good father, I wish there were more people like you.

He then parted with, "all the respect in the world to you, I mean it".

And I've yet to have the "click" voice myself. Although singing along to Katy Perry and La Roux help...

19. fatalredknives

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Today I borrowed some of my brother's clothes and took a shitload of selfies I actually like for the first time. It's a small victory, but makes me so happy.

20. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The other day after having a miserable meal with my fiancee and her parents where our waiter called me "miss" about 10 times, we went to a beer festival later that night. I was still feeling shitty six hours later until someone bumped into me in line and said "sorry, man.". They may very well have meant it in a neutral way, but all my misery immediately melted away. It is funny how one "sir" can cancel out ten "ma'am"s.