1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me and my Colo-Rectal Surgeon

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. Nothing to the procedure. HOWEVER, drinking a gallon of almost-antifreeze(propylene glycol)called Go-Lightly, a misnomer if there ever was one, to clear the Erie canal before the procedure was simply AWFUL! That stuff would gag a horse, and be close, VERY close, to a toilet before you start drinking it. Ugh! 60 minutes later you become a human water pistol.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

absolutely! the other thing was that they told me I could eat nothing but italian ices the day before. I used to LOVE italian ices, and I thought that was great. Now I can't even look at them because they remind me of that awful day.

3. tscott

Gee...I've had two and the worst of it was the previous day...I have never been awake for either of them...always sedated...what did they do for you give you a swig of rot gut and a wooden block on which to bite down...Was it a choice to be awake?...I didn't even have the humiliation of having to raise my tuchus in the air...what you went through is barbaric.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After reading this thread, I've decided that I'm never getting a physical for the rest of my life after I turn 40... :wink:

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

hahahahaha!!! you're too funny! the exam itself isn't bad at all. they gave me something that knocked me out, and when I came to, it was over. I guess the concept of people sending a snake up your ass while you're out could be a little disconcerting, but I try not to think about that too much. That day before though is horrible, so I don't blame you!

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last time I had it done, after reading thoroughly on it, I decided to forgo sedation, for the simple reason that I was actually curious about the procedure and wanted to see for myself what was going on. I also read that most guys don't feel any pain during the procedure.

It wasn't even uncomfortable, no pain as it wound its way up through the sigmoid, then higher up, across and down again (got to see the opening to my appendix!).

Yeah, I'm weird....

Just took the first dose of laxative...won't be long now! :eek:

7. Wildside

Wildside Guest

thanks for sharing that about sedation, greatwhale. god, this is an odd topic, isn't it? anyway, I've got one coming up in another year or so, and I've been thinking of doing it without sedation. I just wasn't too sure. so I appreciate your take on how it wasn't so bad. I just imagined feeling it all inside me, and maybe it hurting a lot.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course this must be a decision between you and your doc, but my own preference is that if there is no pain or anxiety/fear, then why sedate?

9. BlueSky224

Oh, Greatwhale, you made me LAUGH!

I have been doing rectal exams since... let me think... 12 years? I have never heard the term, "dialing zero" until now. It's quite clever.

I always did everything in my power to avoid a rectal exam. I remember having to do one on this particularly disgusting guy, and I was calculating in my head exactly how much money I was earning for those ten seconds. The answer was--of course--not enough.

I was cheering the day that the cancer screening guidelines changed, and the prostate exam became optional for most men.

A professor of mine from years ago taught me to tell guys who came in for routine physical exams, "you don't need a prostate exam." You could see them relax instantly. The whole visit went much more smoothly.

I'll never forget one patient--a huge fan of mine--who said that I was the only doctor who spent all my time apologisng when I had to do a prostate exam. I know, it's my job, but I really feel bad when I have to do it.

I have ten years before I turn 50. I hope that colon cancer screening veers away from colonoscopies within the next ten years. Right now, the guideline is that one can just do annual fecal occult blood testing on most people; but a lot of patients and clinicians opt for the colonoscopy.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, dear friends, it is done.

Yesterday, those laxatives did their dirty deed (the term "explosive" came to mind), and I had to take one last swig at 5 this morning. When I arrived for prep, I requested no sedative, but Dr. V., the colo-rectal surgeon, was skeptical as she explained that the sedative was also used to calm any involuntary spasms in the colon which could complicate the inspection, but, based on my past (brief encounter?) with her already 8 years ago with no issues, she would give it a try.

So in went the tube, along with the air (by far the most bothersome item) and before I knew it she (well the camera) was already at the appendix, no pain, just weird sensations inside. As expected, nothing was found, no polyps, no issues. Next inspection: 5 years from now. So cool to see the inside of my old, faithful and healthy colon!

Right after the procedure, I was wheeled into what can only be described as the "salle de fartage"...only I was the only conscious un-sedated one of about 6 other patients, so I was in full possession of my faculties as the blasted air blasted its way out of my butthole...:eusa_doh:, but what the hell, if there ever was a place where passing air was permitted...not even curtains between us...:rolle: after about 10 minutes, I left and dealt with getting rid of this gassy, bloated unpleasantness at home.

Next one: five years from now (maybe it'll be a robot and the images will be automatically uploaded to Google for all to see...)

11. BlueSky224

The "Salle de Fartage" is highly exclusive. You must have felt honoured.

12. CyclingFan

:lol::lol:

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

congratulations on a success, but I'll take a pass on that future link to your youtube video

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    GW,

Admire your curiosity.

Best eye surgery I ever had I was awake for. Very interesting stuff goes on.

I am happy for you.

That leaves you cystoscopy. That is amazing.

15. PeteNJ

OMG.. due for a colonscopy...soon....

That said, my PCP, who is gay, referred me, so maybe the Gastro is gay, too?

thanks for the laughs and the PSA!

16. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that would definitely make me fell more at ease. but it wouldn't take the edge off the prep!

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you're ever in need of a colonoscopy in San Francisco, go to a gastro in the Castro... :grin:

18. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where is the "Like" button when you need it? :roflmao:

19. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I can't tell you how many times I've wished there was a like button on EC! But there's always this: :thumbsup:

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [youtube]G9WWREy-EXg[/youtube]