1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you say "yes" if asked?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Really, Aug 5, 2014.

1. otter

It depends on who's asking. My mom has asked me a few times, but I've said no because I didn't want to have to explain in the middle of a conversation. Now, if a friend of mine were to ask, then I would consider saying yes.

2. vendettaxo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    All depends on who's asking, when asked I generally answer honestly unless it could be to someone who could use it negatively against me.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably say something smart-assed, such as "Why are you asking; is there something you want to tell me?" or "I'm actually gay, but don't tell my wife or my boyfriend, they both think I am straight." In some circumstances, I might reply "What do you have in mind?"

If you don't feel like answering the question, answer it with a question of your own. If you feel like you are about to get lucky, then say "yes". If a troll asks the question, shake your head and walk away.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I keep looking at this thread and I guess my question is: do people actually get asked this? I mean like flat out--are you gay? or are we talking about people hinting around about it? I guess I just ask because I'm 43 (and out for over 20 years) and no one's ever asked me. If people really are getting asked this all the time, it makes me wonder why no one ever asked me...

5. Candace

It depends on whoever asks me. If it were my racist, small-minded, bigoted, and ignorant cousin, then no. My caring, liberal, laidback, carefree dad? Yes.

6. Really

Hi OGS,

I guess when I asked, I was just interested because I read a few people say that they would rather be queried than have to start the conversation. I wondered whether people who are not out were hovering in a state of readiness but not quite psyched up enough to bring it up.
    I don't think I meant people saying, "Are you gay?" but more like you said, hinting at it or fishing a bit. Or, offering that they were and giving you the opportunity to say you were, too.

7. TheStormInside

Personally I've only been asked directly the words "Are you gay?" once, and that was in the midst of attempting to come out. So I think I had laid the foundation for that question to a certain extent by telling my friend I needed to talk about something really personal, and being so painfully embarrassed that I couldn't say it.

Actually, I'm sorry, that's incorrect. My brother once asked me if I was Bi. And a "mean girl" in high school asked me if I was a lesbian, over and over again (so really, it was more like she was calling me a lesbian, which is what eventually started happening regardless of my answer).

There were a few times when I was younger that I was asked if I had a girlfriend, or if there were any girls I liked, usually after being asked if I had a boyfriend and replying "no." At the time I didn't know, myself, so I also replied in the negative.

Dang, I was totally clueless. :lol:

With the exception of my coming out moment, all of those were asked of me pre- ex boyfriend, so I think the fact that I'm not particularly feminine combined with my utter lack of male relationships is what made people wonder.

8. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, it depends who's asking. If its someone that I trust and that I know will accept me, I'll say yes. If they aren't, then I'm not really sure what I'd say. I'd probably just say "I don't know" because I'd hate to lie about it and pretend to be someone I'm not.

I want to try and be more open about my sexual orientation when school starts again though. People at my high school are pretty accepting (and I don't really care about the ones who aren't, because I know there's still people who will accept me no matter what) and there's even other openly LGBT kids at my school, so maybe I'll make some new friends, and maybe meet someone special.

9. rainshadow

I'm not sure what I would say if i was asked now. I was asked before years ago and I said no. My roommate at the time, more like confronted me about it. Was asked if I had or wanted a boyfriend. I said no. Then they switched gears and asked the same question only if I wanted a girlfriend. Said no then too. Which is still true. Not ready to date anyone. Didn't say anything further tho.