1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your family members know that you're gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kosygin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my sisters knows and I'm hoping to tell the other before the end of this year.

2. Gabe92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They don't know and will be the last to find out. I just don't want to deal with the drama.

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beats me. If they suspect it, I'm not aware. I haven't told any of them

4. My sister. Her overall reaction was like "Ok, what else is new?"

5. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    they do know mum called me a lair, dad called me lotts of names then got violent so i went and lived with my nan only one who stood by me in the beginning .

6. Silas

My cousins pretty much know but I haven't told my parents yet... I'm sure they suspect by now though.

7. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both of my brothers know. I haven't told my mom yet. My stepdad's kind of an asshole. I'm probably not gonna tell him. My real dad's pretty cool. But I don't know how he'd react. And I'm pretty sure my mom would be accepting of it but I'm still kinda scared to tell her. My brothers were totally cool with it. My youngest brother even asks me questions about it. I'm happy to oblige. My middle brother just doesn't really care. By that I mean he's fine with it but he doesn't really have questions or anything. So yeah that's who knows in my family. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. OneHepCat

Both my parents and my little sister know. When I told my sister, her attitude was, "Yeah, well that's who you are. In other news, the sky is blue, and fish swim in the ocean." My mom always suspected that something was different about me, but she could never put her finger on it. I think my dad always knew, but was just waiting for me to say something. He did say that my sex life is none of his business as long as I'm happy and healthy.
    For years, I held it in because I wasn't sure how they'd take it. Silly me. As far as family goes, I think I got pretty lucky.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I haven't exactly come out to everyone, but they would have to be daft not to notice, and I imagine word spreads.

10. patric

patric Guest

My family will be the last to know. I am sure there would be plenty of drama if I came out to them. Not ready for that - maybe never will be?

11. Beetle

My parents and sister know. Not sure on relatives, I never told them so it depends on if my parents did...but I doubt it.

12. ChibiXio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think my sister knows that i'm not totally straight. She even told me that our parents aren't really ok with people who aren't straight. That makes me think she knows.

13. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't told anyone in my family (or anyone else for that matter) yet. Though I have this huge suspicion that my mom knows.

Once I was out and I got this magazine/newspaper for LGBT people, and put it in my bag. When I got home I dropped my bag down and went to take a shower, etc, when I came back the newspaper thing was on the table haha and only my mom was home. I'm not sure if she opened it and saw what it was about, but she didn't mention it. This was only one occasion in many through which I think she might have had an inkling that I'm not straight.

Anyhow I hope I'll feel confident enough to tell them soon :slight_smile:

14. thekillingmoon

No, they still ask when will I get a boyfriend.

15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm certain my mom and my brother suspect I am gay, and I'm certain my dad's cousin figured out I'm not straight when I was wearing my hi pride necklace at a lesbian bar when I ran into her.

16. XRay

Haha yea my extended family also always ask me about a boyfriend and i'm only 17 years old! I'm afraid to know what it's gonna be like when I'm older.

I told my parents and sister. I really want to tell it to my awesome cousin but I don't know if I'll do it.. I don't get to see her much because she lives abroad.. it sucks. :/

17. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All my family know I'm gay, have known for years. I'm glad, I ain't hiding for nobody it isn't worth it.

18. AKTodd

Yup, pretty much my whole family knows. There are two exceptions, and in their case other family members (several other family members) suggested it would be best if I didn't come out to them due to the major homophobic drama reaction that would result. Given that I don't see or talk to one of them for years at a time and only talk to the other on the phone once or twice a year, it hasn't been much of a concern. Although if either of them were to say anything anti-gay in my presence, there would be an abrupt revision of that policy.

Todd

19. JayR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandma knows. I told her and she was very supportive. I think my parents and brother suspect. But I haven't told them yet. Only my grandma.

20. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nobody knows im gay, but there might be suspicions. I don't like the idea of comingsoon out by sitting them down to talk, I might tell them im going out with my boyfriend one day and then if they want to talk I will.