1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe I should just give up

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, May 20, 2014.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe I should just give up.

This was my thought a few minutes ago as I considered my on-going search for other gay men in my area. I don't think I'm being particularly picky. I'm not looking for Mr. Right, or even Mr. Will-Do-For-The-Moment. At this point, I'd be happy with just a friend, a feeling of real world connection. But apparently that is being too picky, because, despite regular research, nothing--nothing--turns up in my area. The only thing that does turn up is a social group I joined not long ago. But that group is, currently, almost entirely women, and every new member who has joined in the last month has been a woman.
    '
    Out of desperation, I looked at Seattle earlier. But it's not easy for me to get there. Certainly not often enough to have the slightest prayer of being able to build relationships. And a lot of the groups won't work for other reasons.

And my efforts to just find local activities where I might meet another gay man have failed. In fact, failed spectacularly. One other hope is to acquire just one local friend (and LGBT is not needed for this "position"), but even that modest hope has been a total, dismal failure.

I am really beginning to envy those guys who are perfectly fine with hookups off craigslist. Because that appears to be about the only option available.

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Making new friends over 40 sucks! People our age often have their established group of friends. Kind of like Jr. High...
    As far as dating goes older lesbians are often into casual hookups too. I was told by someone that she does not date women without a lot of sexual experience with other women. WTF.
    I feel old fashioned.
    I guess we just have to keep busy and learn to be our own best friends for a while. (*hug*)

3. Molly1977

Do not give up. You want a relationship not just casual sex so stick to your goals and keep on trying to meet people. I undertand that this is difficult but you will never get anywhere if you don't try. Don't go out looking for a relationship instead look for friends, try talking to the women at the group, they may have friends that are looking to meet other gay men. the more people you meet the more opportunities you will have.

If men are looking for hookups on craigslist (is this a website? Sorry I dont know what craigslist is) maybe post something saying you are looking to meet gay men to be friends with. Don't dismiss opportunities just because they are not exactly what you are looking for but see this as a way of widening your circle of friends. Stick to your goals and don't just jump into sex just because someone else wants it. Try to see things as potential opportunities.

Sorry if this advice is a bit rubbish but I hope it helps. Molly xx

---------- Post added 20th May 2014 at 07:00 AM ----------

Try going to Seattle more, even if it is just to go to a lgbt friendly bar/cafe. Sit and have a coffee and read a book. The more you do these types of things the more often you will be able to do them. You need to spend some time just being around gay people, even if you dont get to talk to anyone, ordering a coffee in a lgbt friendly cafe could be a good place to start.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    there is a section on craig'slist in the relationship section for platonic relationships, maybe you can post there?

just off the top of my head.

5. redbean

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It has taken me a VERY long time to meet my new friend. I learnt to swim in 2006 when I was 38 and started swimming regularly shortly afterwards, and I mean at least 5 times a week. It was something I really began to enjoy and I also started to see quite a lot of new people regularly. I went at regular times (some mornings and some evenings to meet as many different types of people as possible) and started talking to people.

Most of these people are still only acquaintances who I enjoy talking to when I go swimming and some I even look forward to seeing. I even joined an evening fit n swim group which I also really enjoy.

And after what 7, 8 years, I have only met one guy who I would call a 'friend'. We exchanged numbers (he gave me his first!!!) and have been talking about doing other stuff together. We see each other 4 or 5 times a week now and it's exactly what I've been looking for. It has taken a long long time, but we only really met last summer though we were quite quick to realise that we could be friends.

It is very difficult to meet new friends when you're over 30 or 40 but not impossible. You need to do something that puts you into regular contact with other people and hopefully you will find that you have other things in common with one of these people. I met loads of other people before this guy, but we get on so much better than I do with any of the others.

You said you already tried local activities but they failed. What sort of activities and how long did you persevere for? Like I said it has taken me about 7, 8 years and there has been at least one spectacular fail when I did go for a coffee with one guy after a swim, but then he promptly disappeared a couple of weeks later.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yet another idea off the top of my head. you said you had joined a group but it was mostly women. what about socializing with this group and enjoy human companionship and as they get to know you, they may introduce you to some of their male friends who are gay or bi and then you get friends with them. kind of like an expanding circle of friends.(&&&) who knows the love of your life may be friends with one of these ladies.

7. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never used Craigslist; however, anecdotal evidence from other users suggests it's not really a very efficient way to simply "hook up." Same with all the phone apps. Initial contact usually results in endless emails back and forth, with no satisfactory conclusion. In my experience, it's far easier to connect with someone face to face. Best ways to do this, in my opinion, are gay bars, gay cruising areas, gay bathhouses and gay beaches. I prefer the last option myself. Google is your friend. Next time you come to Seattle, bring a towel and some speedos (or go naked). Don't worry if your body isn't perfect — not many peoples' is, and truly, there's someone out there for everyone. You don't necessarily have to participate, but you can simply watch and learn. You will also have a chance to meet other gay men, some of whom may well become friends. Many long-term friendships begin with casual hook-ups.
    By the way, I sympathize with your plight, living in rural or small-town Washington. My own "best gay friend" lives in Renton, which is what, 10-15 miles away? As far as he's concerned, it may as well be the other side of the mountains, where out gay men are rarer than hen's teeth.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

---------- Post added 20th May 2014 at 12:31 PM ----------

I hadn't thought of that, but that jr. high analogy does sound true. (Am I doomed to live the jr. high life--not the most functional part of my life--my whole life? :lol:slight_smile:

I complained about the gay man hookup culture when I visited the nearest LGBT center to the woman working there, and she even commented she thinks there are a lot of women only interested in hookups.

Then I have thought of one opposite problem: the person who dates those with no/little sexual experience. Because that person is looking for "fresh meat."

---------- Post added 20th May 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

Yes, craigslist is a web site. Primarily classified ads with everything from jobs to household goods to cars to personals. The personals--at least in my area--don't seem to attract the sort of person I'm looking for. (I'm phrasing this nicely. Some of the ads I've seen frankly make me feel sick.) It seems like it's entirely hookups. Even the platonic ads can be...a bit much at times.

It might be worth considering. It's hard getting to Seattle--I might be able to do it a time or two this summer. But it's worth seeing if there is a coffee shop in my area where the LGBT people go.

---------- Post added 20th May 2014 at 12:48 PM ----------

Funny, but I also learned to swim later in life (mid/late 20s), and do it off and on for exercise. And years back I really liked the casual lap swim friends I had. Alas, the pool I use has almost no one coming to lap swim anymore. I am considering "defecting" to another pool like everyone else did, but I need to find out if that's financially viable.

And this regular contact point is something I'm taking into account, which is why doing stuff in Seattle is hard. I can get there sometimes, but making it every week for something is harder.

---------- Post added 20th May 2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

And I do plan to do future events with this group. You're right: there is the hope that someone knows someone.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Activities have varied:

• A book discussion group. Meets monthly (most months), and I've been going since October (a total of 5 meetings--2 months had no meeting).
    • Semi regular church attendance, including coffee hour, for over a year now.
    • Various social events tied to the church (monthly men's group), two discussion groups. My attendance of these has been since winter, but has now been at least attendance 2 times up to 4+ times, depending on the group.
    • Recently took a look at a different church where there is a better hope of finding LGBT people. That hope seems to be dashed, but I'll be going back sometimes for at least a short while. There is some slight hope of one or two people at least becoming casual friends.

---------- Post added 20th May 2014 at 01:06 PM ----------

And the other thought I toy with is trying to move closer to Seattle where it appears you have to live if you are gay. But...the cost of living there is hugely painful unless your name is Bill Gates...

10. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Simple message don't give up there are lots of people on this site to advise you! What have you got to loose:-D

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Went last night to a local event of a grand opening of an home audio equipment dealer's new location. Years back, I dabbled with audio equipment, and retain some interest, but, alas, not the budget. Anyway, I thought I might as well go. I might meet some interesting person. (It is worth noting that such an event is much different than, say, the grand opening celebration of a water bed store. Hobbyist types are likely to come out.) Plus there was some local beer being served.

It was a mixed experience. I had a couple of talks with a couple of different people. But...the huge negatives: the experience was bad for an introvert. Too many people and so too draining. And, like usual at large events, I end up on the sidelines. Where I get to see everyone else who has the social skills I lack flutter about meeting new people and having a wonderful time doing so.

For those wondering...I did wear the PFLAG rainbow bracelet that starred the the disaster the other day. And I feel so pitiful. At first, I slipped it on, but it was obscured by a long sleeve shirt. (On purpose--I didn't even have enough balls to wear it out in the open on arrival.) Later on, I had it visible. (Partly in response to seeing one person wearing a multi-color bracelet. But no idea if he was LGBT or not. There are other multi-color bracelets out there that have no connection to LGBT.)

I guess at least I tried. I still get an "F" but maybe the teacher put a sticker saying: "You tried!" by that "F."

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 04:59 AM ----------

And the other thought on my mind...

Monday is Memorial Day. The start of the summer season. And I'll be the one loser in America who probably goes through the :***: summer without even a picnic to go to. Well, a picnic is possible: but it would be a picnic for one.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here goes!

[​IMG]

BMC, it's not "I think therefore I am" (cogito ergo sum), but rather it's "I am because I party" (convivio ergo sum)!

The more you go out; the more you just get out there and interact, the easier it will get and the greater your chances of meeting that one chance encounter that changes everything...

13. GayDadStr8Marig

John, take a deep breath and look around... if you're such a failure and loser then why did you even put forth the thought and effort to go to the opening? That hardly qualifies for either label in my book, so how about giving yourself a break? (*hug*)

And as for being an introvert feeling awkward in social settings, sometimes I think I am a case study in some mad scientist's grand experiment on the subject. :badgrin:

And then there's the whole impatience thing... even having a boyfriend doesn't make your world suddenly filled with rainbows and unicorns. Unless you find someone much younger whose only responsibility is their college studies, or someone older who's near or in retirement, odds are you're going to have a lot of scheduling issues between the two of you. You are fortunate to not have the added complexity of the formerly-married-with-kids history that many of us are dealing with.

The point is, relationships take a lot of work from both people. Some have to do a lot of work to find someone; some have a lot of work to keep someone; some have a lot of work to have time to be with someone.

Something that was drilled over and over recently in a required class for our divorce, was the fact that in order to take care of someone else we have to take care of ourselves first. That's true of parenting, and certainly any other relationship that you want to endure for a lifetime. So, do the things that you enjoy doing the way you enjoy doing them, that will likely draw the attention of people who share those interests. And even if none of those people are gay men, odds are they'll know someone who is and you can take it from there...

Just try to relax and live life today. Tomorrow can worry about itself until you get there.

Rick

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

I suppose I probably overreacted (once again) to last night. I should focus on the positive. I made some effort. And at least I didn't totally embarrass myself. I'll be welcome back at that store...although I'd be a hell of a lot more welcome if I had the sort cash required to buy some of the equipment they sell.

I suppose so. It does seem easier after a few months of aggressive book discussion group attendance, etc, etc. But I am getting really disheartened that every road I've gone down has been a total dead end. October, 2013: I had zero friends. May, 2014, nearly June, 2014: I have a net increase of zero friends for a grand total of zero friends. (I did this math in my head. Aren't you all impressed that I didn't need the calculator? :lol:slight_smile: And this is just friends, not a boyfriend. I'm not even sure I'm really in the market for a relationship. Well, I am, sort of, but I also realize that I need make changes in my life, first, and one change probably is having friends. A lot of guys would look at the fact that I'm alone, zero friends, and wonder...what's wrong with him? And then move on.

Intellectually, I realize the only thing I can do is keep trying. But that's a lot easier to accept intellectually than emotionally.

And being a strong introvert really doesn't help.

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 07:34 AM ----------

Truth be told...I probably should have put better thought into the decision. I should have foreseen the crowds, and I'd at least at that point have known there would be a problem because I'm an introvert.

But...it was a free event, something different than I usually do, and it reminds me of a happier time in my life when I had the cash to buy toys electronics someplace other than Goodwill.
    I think that scientist is also using me as part of the experiment. :lol:

The one positive is that at least I understand the nature of introversion. Last night, I got horribly depressed at times. But...at least I understood intellectually why mingling just doesn't work well for me.

Yes. I am fortunate. It may be the only thing in my favor.

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I think that the hardest balancing act we can do, harder than walking a tightrope between two skyscrapers, is the one where we balance the confidence to open up and share ourselves with others, with the willingness to be alone and self-sufficient and able to function without them. Accepting once and for all that I was gay was no piece of cake, but the thought of "what happens next?" kept me stranded for a long time. I'm not a social person by nature, and over the years I've learned to cover up my awkward shyness with a liberal dose of fake confidence. The weird end result is that people sometimes think I'm a lot more independent and secure than I really am, and instead of turning people off by being too needy, they assume I don't need anything at all!

As Rick said, you don't have the complexity of a marriage and kids, but that complexity can also serve as a kind of twisted security blanket too, because it does provide you with a human, social safety net (even if it's one that is sometimes rather unwelcome). I haven't had tons of experience trying to meet people, but I will tell you that one of the very best first steps is working on your own self-esteem and confidence. Look at it this way - if you're not particularly sure of yourself, can you really expect others to be? If you don't know what you have to bring to a conversation or a friendship or a relationship, can you really expect a stranger to know?

When I told my wife I was gay, it was with the understanding in my head that she might very well want me out of her life as soon as possible, and I had damn well better be able to function without her and her posse of acquaintances and friends. I think that was as frightening as the thought of saying "Honey, I'm gay", because of the possibility of being so completely alone. A big part of my "prep work" for telling her was to prepare for that risk of total isolation. (And as is typical of life, things didn't work out the way I expected, and instead of being isolated and alone, I'm juggling a disintegrating marriage AND a wonderful new relationship--but I'm definitely not complaining!)

It may seem completely absurd in a reverse-psychology kind of way, but assuming you will be going it alone and living your life in a positive, assertive way, and knowing very much who you are, can make you much more appealing to others. If your thoughts are right out there for all to see, open and honest, and not covered up with a lot of insecurity and uncertainty and judgment, people know what they're getting and where they stand. I find a certain amount of shyness or awkwardness very appealing because I totally understand it--heck, I LIVE it!--but I am wildly turned on by an honest person whom I can trust because I know he's not hiding thoughts and feelings.

You're definitely doing the right thing in going to events and not staying stuck at home. What I'd work on next is building up your confidence and willingness to live your life on your own terms, friends or not, partner or not. Self-confidence is a magnet and an aphrodisiac. Learn to accept and enjoy who you are, and people will feel the same way about you. Don't give up on the events and gatherings, but more importantly, don't give up on yourself. In the end, no matter how many activities you have in your life, and no matter how many friendships you make, you will be spending far more time with yourself than with anyone else. Make a list of all your good qualities and post them on the mirror and read them out loud every single day until you believe they're for real! And then trust that others will believe it too. You can do it!

John (yes, another John)

16. Jim1454

I can relate to how you're feeling. I met my husband - and it was a real fluke really. I am extremely fortuante. Otherwise, I have next to no friends. Just a couple that I've maintained for 20 years from university.

When I first came out I felt very lonely too - and I did put an ad in Craigslist in the 'strictly platonic' section - saying that I was a gay dad just out of a heterosexual relationship, and that I was just looking for someone to talk to over a beer or cup of coffee - preferably someone who could relate. And you know what? I got about 6 really decent and sincere responses. One person I never met but we exchanged emails for years. A couple of others I did meet for lunch or for a beer. And one person became a good friend and we would see each other regularly for a year or so until stuff in our lives caused us to drift apart. I did have him to our wedding, but I haven't seen him since I'm afraid.

All to say - it can work. You never know if you don't try. Just be very clear about what it is that you're looking for. I didn't get any 'crack pot' responses at all.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained. There might be someone around the corner in a similar situation to you - who is also looking for a new friend.

17. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi BMC77

I don’t really like to bring up stereotypes but have you tried going to places that might attract a higher percentage of gay guys. I’m thinking mainly of places that attract creative types.

• Art galleries or art classes (My sister is doing an art class, last week’s session was on nudes and the model didn’t turn up so the guy next to her in class just whipped off his cloths and jumped up on the table in front of the class. I bet he had some interesting conversations afterwards)
    • Museums
    • Antique collector’s fairs
    • Photographic exhibitions
    • Amateur theatre productions; perhaps you could become involved in helping backstage with scenery, lighting, or sound. I was involved on and off stage for many years and met many gay guys in a gay friendly environment (The penny still didn’t drop, I had no idea I was gay at the time)
    • Book & Poetry readings
    • Perhaps hiking clubs
    • Trade Exhibitions relating to adult entertainment and sex toys

Sale Gay Guy

#17 SaleGayGuy, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, John/Choirboy. You have some valid points, I think, about self work needed... My self esteem and confidence are pretty low. And past that I have become conscious that I tend to often have a vanilla persona when talking to people. Anything to avoid rocking the boat, and making myself unlikable. But...of course by doing that I'm not making myself likable to much of anyone...

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 04:18 PM ----------

I've considered this from time to time, and it might be worth seeing if any of these options are options in my immediate area.

I'll also give some thought to Jim's craigslist idea. Or try to find a way of using the core idea to inspire something. I honestly don't have a very high opinion of craigslist, at least as it stands in my area. Good idea. But it seems to attract the worst of humanity.

19. GayDadStr8Marig

Not sure if this will help or not but maybe worth a try. Take some of your posts from E.C. and read them out loud to yourself. Listen not so much to what you're saying but how you phrase it and the feelings behind the words. Think about how you put aside the walls and filters when you post and how it feels to do that when posting. Internalize those things and try to replicate it when talking to someone. You may be surprised with the results. I certainly was.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Quite true. I saw a video clip of a talk given in a church where the minister even commented something like: I am with me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I'll be with me forever and ever.

I just wish I liked myself better. Heck there are days I wish I liked myself, period.

And to show how bad my self esteem is, my immediate reaction in reading this is: "What good qualities?"

Oh, OK. I'm not an ax murderer. I guess that counts as good quality?

Yes, it looks like I've got lots of work to do...

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 04:40 PM ----------

Interesting idea, and worth a try.