1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is having safe sex at a young age (13 - 15) a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XTREMEZish, May 4, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did by age 13 with two people of the same age, and a few decades later, I'm still here, disease free, and not emotionally scarred.

In fact, I'm very glad I did, it was part of my learning and growing up, and it felt amazing, and taught me about the value of pleasure and relaxation, things I think we often overlook in our culture of seeking money and success.

Looking back, it's odd how we seem to attach such a taboo to sex; if it isn't religious guilt, it's some or other baggage to make it seem like this dangerous, scary thing, whereas, by and large, it's an amazing, beautiful wonderful things are bodies are capable of experiencing fully at that age, and I see no reason not to safely do so. To hold all that pent up energy in is likely why we have become such a violent culture; it needs expression somehow. In earlier times, not long ago, it would be common to have had sex by such an age; we can't fool biology with morals or other goody-goody imperatives.

2. gmdx

I'm sixteen (almost) and a virgin, but as early as fourteen, I let my boyfriend feel me up (is there a less awkward way to phrase that?). Anyway, I regretted it a lot and still have a lot of guilt.
    I think between thirteen and fifteen you should be learning about sex, not participating in it. Personally, if I have sex before marriage, it won't be until I'm at least twenty.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there isn't an emotional attachment at that age, it is a bad thing. I guess a little experimentation is fine but not just sex for sex's sake. You gain an attachment when that person cuts you off. You feel like you aren't good enough anymore. I really don't think people know themselves until they are 18, but then again I did grow up sheltered. I guess if I hadn't grown up sheltered, I might think differently. Most teens still don't have the information they need to make informed choices, especially between 13-15.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't think most 13 year olds are mature enough to really know if they're ready. It always depends on the individual, but very few people in middle school would be mature enough to know.

Plus, when you're 13, you've usually hardly learned sex ed stuff, and wouldn't really know how to be safe. Again, this depends on the individual.

5. finlandwrc

As most others have said it all depends on if they're mature enough to know if they're ready for it or not it all depends on the indivdual.

6. Adhoc

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd say it's certainly not a bad thing. However, I'd agree that it's something not ideal for 13-15 year olds.

However, I'd disagree with using a popular sense of 'maturity' to judge 13-15 year olds, or anyone for that matter. For one thing, the definition is very vague. Physical maturity, intellectual maturity, broad 'responsibility,' and experience are all pretty separate forces that can't be judged together.

The common sense of maturity also seems like an age-related privilege, making it unproductive. What people usually associate with 'immaturity' (i.e. conformity, self-centerdness, and moodiness) are psychological realities for people of all ages. Condemning these because one is 'too young' does nothing to promote development.

It'd be better if society could better advocate 'preparedness.' The decisions around sex and relationships remain difficult and challenging to people of all ages, and confining their difficulty to a matter of how young or old one is truly doesn't help. This is where safe sex practices and considering the costs of sexual activity upon one's health and the health of others comes in.

It's fair to say that for teenagers, the costs on development and on one's emerging relationships are greater. The high school environment is quite different from the college and 'adult' environment. Many also aren't prepared to make the kind of health-based decisions that are necessary. That's why I'd say 13-15 year olds should be cautious.