1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does Demi- sexual mean?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cass, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Minx

I get what you're trying to say, I do. :slight_smile:

It just kind of sucks that until the evidence compounds, and more of us volunteer for study - There are going to be some people who won't validate/acknowledge our existence. :lol:

Which is understandable, but it's still despairing at times. :3

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I feel like I fit under the definition of demisexual, but I stopped labeling myself as such because I felt it was overlabeling myself. I have no problems with people who use the identity though.

3. Gen

Gen

I would have been in agreeance with Chip and Rakkaus when I first arrived on this site. I remember that the topic of pansexualily really began to blossom within my first few months on the site and I wasn't the most approving of the classification. I made multiple posts in debates on the rising communities of pansexuals feeling that they need to differentiate themselves from bisexuals and how unnecessarily polarizing I felt it was. I spoke of how I felt it caused the communication and comprehension of orientation to evolve into something that was far more convoluted and contrived then necessary. I believed this, not only with pansexuality, but with many of the new orientations that were being introduced on the site; however, through time I found that my viewpoint on the topic began to change.

Looking at the situation from an analytical and exclusively rational standpoint, the creation new orientations intricately and habitually can have a negative effect on the image of the LGBTQ community. It can cause convolution, over-complexity, and loss of credibility in the minds of some; if not many. It can be subjected to abuse by those that actually strive to be "special snowflakes"; however, I have come to recognize that believing that the issues that arise from others choosing to label themselves as whatever they may please lies not with them, but with human society. The human mind has a preferences of analyzing information methodically. Comprehension is much more easily accomplished when we can classify things such as sexuality, gender, and identity in clear and unambiguous groups. Consequently, sometimes sexuality, gender, and identity are anything but clear and logical.

I am the most homosexual that you could possibly be; I am extremely monosexual. It is clear; it is simplistic; it is very easily comprehendible. Dissimilarly, my gender is much more ambiguous. There has been nothing in my life that has caused me as much struggle as my gender and expression. The amount of judgement and critique that I have received for my ambiguity and decisions to diverge from gender normality completely outweighs the hate I have received as a homosexual.

I don't push for the acceptance of homosexuals. I don't push for the acceptance of polysexuals or transgenders. I push for our society to reach a point where difference, as a whole, is no longer undesirable and unbecoming. We achieve nothing by accepting and offering our stamp of approval to one classification of individuals after another. There will be no true growth in our society nor acceptance for one another until we come to the realization that our approval is irrelevant. Our endorsement is unnecessary; because we shouldn't be forced to live in ways or under guidelines that fall in accordance with the beliefs of others, whether popular or not. We should all have the right to live and be respected as whichever classification or form of ourselves that we believe to be the most true.

(This concludes Gen's weekly soapbox.)

4. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said.

5. theskywreck

Today I've become aware that I am demi-sexual. I thank this thread and the ones who posted on it! It's actually a relief, because I thought of myself as asexual, but it wasn't quite right, and I wasn't sure I would ever figure myself out.

I hadn't heard or seen the word before now, which is why I had no word with which to describe myself. However, I'm not going to use this term, since it's too complicated to explain to people.

6. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

Omgs, im happy I missed this!!! I would of went crazy............You foolish people telling other people that their idenitys dont exist, should back off.......

7. Joelouis

All these different labels etc.

If someone wishes to label their sexual identity as Pan, Demi, Bi or whatever is their business, surely?

Now for my own label, I've put "Bisexual".

Whereas in actual fact, I could have a meaningful relationship with a girl, but I'm not all that experienced sexually despite my age, so would prefer less in the sex department.

If I was, say, at a guys house and he started to get physical in the way of wanting sex, I know I'd back off and leave, as again it's not about sex, but the closeness (if that sounds strange, then let's invent another label for this).

So what label am I?

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This has been a very interesting thread. Just when I finally thought I knew what my label was, now I guess I don't anymore.

Someone here said, "Every single person on planet earth has a varying degree of need for emotional bond before sexual attraction is possible. There is no need for some special label for people who place a much higher value on the need for emotional bond than others."

I can look at a playboy magazine and be easily sexually attracted to the models. Now when it comes to actually doing something, then yes for me there needs to be an emotional connection. It wasn't always that way in my life. You show me pics of guys, any guys, and I feel nothing sexually. Yet I'm in a LDR with a guy, we have enjoyable sex, which is something that I've been incapable of having with any other guy. What physical attraction there is to him is like magnetic rather than an attraction to his body parts. I just want my body to be next to his, anything sexual that happens is just an afterthought. I've only loved one other person in my life like I love him. If I didn't have that emotional bond with him he would be just like all the other guys I tried to get physical with when I was younger in order to try to be something I'm not. He has not turned me straight however, because I still desire women sexually. So if that's not demisexual, what is it? And if it is, can you only be demisexual with one gender and not the other?

"Just when I thought I'd figured out you biological creatures, it's something else!" Bender from Futurama