1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you correct people who assume you are straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DrkRayne, Jan 15, 2014.

1. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't had the opportunity to do that since I came out, but I would if I trusted the person.

2. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm only questioning but at least three times someone said something to which I replied "I don't know what I am yet". I'm lucky that where I live isn't homophobic. More indifferent. I just don't feel a need to pretend I'm straight. I'm questioning and I let people know if it's brought up so that hopefully people realise they shouldn't assume as much as they do.

3. PurpleGrey

When it makes sense to do so. If there's no comment or question where the straight part (ie, boyfriend if I have a girlfriend, or what I think about gays from a straight perspective, or whatever exclusively heterosexual folks talk about) doesn't apply, then I won't bother.

4. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I personally like to see peoples reactions. If I were you I probably would have kissed on the way out while holding hands

5. JustKat

It usually never comes up, I never usually bother unless it's going to effect me negatively. I came out at work both with my current job (I work in elementary school as an EA - formerly I was a EMT-B/Safety instructor).

Main reason I came out at work was I was getting tired of coworkers asking ifI had BF/hubby, why I didn't, why I didn't have one and why I never mentioned any significant others. I flat-out said 'Cause I like women'. It's never been much of an issue apart from one massive harassment incident at the school that HR took care of.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    If people ask me if I have a boyfriend I just tell them that I'm focusing on music/school/ or whatever I think they want to hear.

7. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure that people assume im heterosexual, because I don't fall into any stereotypes except for well dressed I suppose, but if someone thought I was heterosexual, I would correct them.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Yeah with maybe the exception of my dad. I'm not really afraid of him finding out it's just that I don't have any reason or desire to talk about it with him.

9. Lovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm the same way. When people ask me why I don't have a boyfriend, I just say "That's not my main focus right now. I have a lot on my plate at the moment, so I'm focusing on my studies." and that's the truth. I'm not looking for anything serious because I simply don't have the time.

10. Mr Scratch

Nah, I see no reason to. Let her think what she wants, particularly if it's as harmless as "What good friends!"

I had a reverse issue as a teenager: everyone assumed my best friend and I were gay and sleeping together. I'd have given anything to kill that rumor stone cold -- for his sake more than my own -- but eventually I just gave up trying to convince people otherwise. I let them think what they wanted.

There came a point in my life when I decided that I really couldn't care less what people think of me and my sex life. The only person whose input I value is my partner.

Oh yes. Especially if same-sex couples aren't within their everyday wheelhouse.

#30 Mr Scratch, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same here. For me it seems the older I get the less others opinions concern me.

Off topic: Bright Falls eh? Sounds like a good place to write a book.

12. Mr Scratch

It's very relaxing out by the lake; really gets the creative juices flowing.

13. Sorceress of Az

Well I've only recently stopped self denying that I'm bi and gender-fluid so I am pretty far in the closet still, but if I was open I would correct people with a fiery passion. Some people like my Mom claim to not judge others, but when she's not in public she will say things, and she is the type that does try to avoid hostility but when it comes to bi or homosexuality she pretends as if she doesn't notice or as if she is blind to it. I think she does it because she's conflicted about feeling it's wrong but not wanting to judge the people who do it, so in her mind in the confusion, she sub-consciously forces herself to "not notice" when some times the signs or hints are as plain as day.
    Quite frankly if it had been me and if I where open about it, I would have corrected them. Though it also depends on how personal you take it and if your the type to keep certain details to yourself in public. My Grandparents where always prim and proper and instilled in me the notion that I should repress a lot of my thoughts and feelings even more so in public and that I shouldn't go around announcing things because I was taught it's impolite or rude. That helped shape my personality and much to my dismay is one of the contributing factors to why I am so anti-social.

Sorry for ranting, I do that allot. LoL

May love and peace be with you, Always,
    In the name of Asherah the Queen of Heaven. Amen.

14. finlandwrc

If a friend who I trust calls me straight than yes I will correct them but if I don't know/trust them than I won't correct them.

15. gaymersofter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here :lol:

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

"Yes, we share everything with each other, including our vaginas" seems the only appropriate response here.

17. thesharkamander

I would.
    So far, I haven't been in a situation where I'd be able to, but I probably will be at some point.

18. C P

C P

Hahaha, this made me think of the comment 'Yes, we know each other so well, especially each other's bodies.' Maybe even throw in a wink. XD

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have not had occasion to correct anyone's assumption that I'm straight because they haven't articulated anything which would make me think they made that assumption.

I have, though, had to correct people's assumption that I'm gay.

20. justjade

Well, the problem is that everyone assumes I'm a straight woman. I identify myself as a guy, and since I'm primarily attracted to guys, that means I'm actually not straight. But do I correct them? No. They wouldn't understand.