1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight-acting hate? is it real?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by deadmau5ftw, Dec 27, 2013.

1. deadmau5ftw

So I was searching around for some LGBTQ terms, because I was looking up some terms i did not know (genderqueer, pansexual and some others).

I came across this one term which peaked my curiosity. (I am attaching it to the post)

It was "Straight-Acting" and it said they are looked down upon in the LGBT community for having heterosexual privileges? Is this true? I am technically Straight-acting since I am not the typical gay guy.

So is this "straight-acting hate" real?

Attached Files:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...it's real in the sense that it's a piece of terminology and I guess SOME people probably don't like it. "I mean come on, how DARE Juan have a get-out-of-discrimination free pass just because he ACTS like a straight dude! Bitch should be mincing about in a sailor suit like the rest of us!"

There are people who think like that, and we have our own term for them. "Fuckwits".

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is discrimination coming from all walks of life, even within the own subgroup of the ethnicity, religion, sexuality, etc.

Ellia, I happen to like sailor dresses!

4. deadmau5ftw

LOL thanks Ellia! Ya I would definitely agree with that!

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can understand the rationale. There are some scenarios where acting like straight people can be socially advantageous,to the chagrin of some people who would prefer to not fit to "heteronormative" stereotypes.

It's a little like dark skinned blacks who were envious of lighter skinned blacks during the pre-civil rights era in the US. Everyone knew that the people who recognizable as black were greatly discriminated against and could do nothing to hide their ethnicity. So, those who were fair enough in complexion had an incentive to "pass" as being white, enjoying all the privileges that came with being part of the dominant class.

6. Gen

Gen

The argument for "straight-acting" hate is just as asinine of the ideal of "reverse racism". It only requires one to take the time to actually sit down and understand the mindset of the individuals that are choosing to use and support this terminology to understand why.

Let's start with an example: Asians are stereotyped as being extremely studious. I am not Asian; however, rather then simply describe myself as studious explicitly, I'm going to choose to refer to myself as "Asian-Acting". Under this mindset, would I receive "Asian-Acting" hate?

Those that perpetuate the ideal of "Straight-Acting" aren't victims of prejudice. They don't receive hate for being who they are; they receive hate for encouraging inaccurate and offensive stereotypes. That term is used to insinuate normality and further augment the beliefs of positivity and praise that surround the heterosexual, gender-normative man and woman of society.

They don't use that term to innocently describe who they are. They want to seem more desirable. They want to seem more normal. They want to seem more acceptable. They want to feed the widespread fetishistic obsession with being a straight man or woman in society, then cry scrutiny from those that choose not to fall for such prolific ignorance.

I have no sympathy.

7. deadmau5ftw

Ok........ Well i was just wondering if there was hate against them. I had never heard of this term and I didn't know if people actually used it or not.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's ridiculous for anyone to hold traits against someone they have no control over, and expecting them to "behave" like the rest of the members of an oppressed community. There's definitely resentment and bitterness towards those who are able to "pass" better and blend in with heterosexuals, but there's also a difference between someone who plays down certain traits just for privileges, and someone who is otherwise naturally "straight-acting". By the way, I've never liked that term, since it implies anyone branded with the term is "acting" when some are that way, just like some campy gay men, or butch lesbians, are that way.

There's so much diversity within the community, that naturally, contradicting preferences exist. You have those who worship anything masculine, normative, and "straight" (ironically, some of the most feminine gay men, who worship female divas and have nothing but women friends are the most intolerant when it comes to having association with gay men of similar persuasions... then complain they're still single), while expecting anyone non-straight to be exactly like you. It's almost like a competition, in a way, seeing who can "outgay" the other.

Anywho, the point is discrimination against masculine gay men is no better than discrimination against feminine ones. I have little patience for those who expect others to change and become just like them, and will call bigotry out no matter who it's coming from, since the outcome is more-or-less the same. How about everyone just stop policing one another? Even if they are trying to fit in with the majority, I really couldn't care less, since it doesn't affect me.

Oh, and Gen: there's a similar phenomenon that exist within certain minority communities I'm sure you're aware of, called "acting white" or "selling out" that's also misused against anyone who speaks Standard American English, listens to rock, places importance on school and financial success, or associates with white Americans. Obviously, having lived in the US for a while, I've had this thrown around at me as well, which only makes me want to have less to do with the ones hurling those accusations at me in the first place! I suppose they'd all be happier if I decided to deal drugs and shoot rival gang members.

9. Gen

Gen

My post was directed at the subject. I'd imagine I came on strong, but my irritations were exclusively towards the subject of this thread and not at all towards you for making this thread.

I am often classified as a "light skinned" African American so I understand completely. I've had my fair share of being accused of acting white. Not to mention, truthfully, my racial background would be considered Multiracial, so when describing myself as such I've receiving a handful of comments about being ashamed of my heritage over the years. If we start to refer to ourselves as "White-Acting" for choosing to speak intelligently or eloquently, and agree with those that categorize us as such, we only continue to encourage extremely offensive stereotypes and generalization on other blacks and ethnic groups.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate the term straight acting and i wish people would stop using it

11. burg

i used to use it but yea after i saw how it is really is understood and what it really said about my thinking (i think im better because i think i act more straight)

i really didnt mean any harm ( it is harmful) but the term did reflect internalised homophobia on my part as gen described very well.

not thinking you are a typical gay guy is pretty typical aye lol.we are feed a model in the media and by peers of what a typical gay guy is like.but in reality that is a weak model hence the common thinking we arnt like other gay guys.hope you get what im getting at.i think the term is called information bias.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If gay rights is about accepting people for who they are, why would anybody look down on somebody just because they don't shoot rainbows out of their ass? Last time I checked, nobody handed me a gay policy manual saying it must be obvious.

>>given condemnation of straight-acting hate because I don't doubt for a second that it's real. People will judge other people for absolutely anything.

13. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (I just wanna say your cat cracks me up every time I see your avatar!)

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For some people (guys, in this case), all of their physical manifestations may be like those of a straight person, with the exception that they may know opera, collect stamps, and like dudes. The term is now very engrained, especially when someone is doing some marketing of their own: straight acting seeks similar. It could be some resentment on the part of the persons who cannot pass. Oftentimes, the person being discussed just passes and says nothing about it to call attention to himself (or herself) and just carries on. That's not a privilege. It's just reality.

15. deadmau5ftw

LOL i guess that's a good way to look at it

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

XD thanks!

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They send those out every 6 months, you must have missed the last mailing. You should get your manual in the new year!

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't pay your dues, then you need to go to interior decorator reform school.

18. photoguy93

There's definitely a shit ton of femme hating, so I'm sure there some of this out there (even though I'm sure it's not that much.) anything is possible, so don't disregard it.

19. Gen

Gen

What exactly besides masculinity in men and femininity in women could be categorized as a physical manifestation of a heterosexual?

I'm curious as to how "Straight-Acting" describes such a specific classification of individual that cannot be described with simple adjectives such as masculine/feminine, traditional, etc; all of which would be far more accurate in describing ones character while having a far less detrimental and sectioning effect sociologically.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww crap, I'm going to get removed from the members list! :eek: