1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you go or have gone to a single sex college or university?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Dec 6, 2013.

?

Would you go or have gone to a single sex college or university?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2014.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    62.7%
  3. Unsure - other - explanation

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. musiclover

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that I would feel fine whether it was gender diverse or single gender, but I would feel less awkward at an all girls school.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No way! The only 3 all male ones in the US look super creepy/frat ridden. Not for me!

Plus one of them, Hampden–Sydney is rated as the preppiest school in America. Exactly the opposite of what I'd be wanting.

3. arcchi

I would dont mind going to an all girl college, but I dont think I would ever decide my college just by the a "single sex" college.

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Absolutely no.. I've seen how some of them act.. So boyish..

5. Aquilo

Some dutch universities have only technical studies and they are maybe not true single sex universities, but have almost only male students.. I don't like them, I prefer more diverse universities.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's such an arbitrary distinction that IMO has only one legitimate purpose: to stop guys and girls from getting distracted (i.e. romantically/sexually) with girls/guys. Such a dichotomy completely ignores the idea of non-straight people. While I would never go to such a school, I do think they can be equally effective in teaching. My mom went to a single sex boarding school until college, and she enjoyed it.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Three of them in Boston and within an hour or so of it: Smith, Mount Holyoke, and Simmons. There are others in the U.S. There are more all-female than all-male schools. Smith and Mount Holyoke are considered to be fairly prestigious.

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Right. I had forgotten the name of it. It's in VA somewhere. Looks positively frightening and stuffy.

8. Ticklish Fish

nah, i'll like a both gender and ethnically diverse college like the real world.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I was single, that would be fucking AWESOME!!!

10. freeskies

Same-sex schools are effective. I personally wouldn't want to go to an all guys school/college. It would be a nightmare! But I must say that such schools are effective for girls. At least that is what I have observed from where I come (India). Such schools are capable of bringing out the best qualities in a girl. With boys and girls together, girls are almost always teased and taunted. But in an all-girls school, girls can nurture their self-esteem and confidence. The girls from an all-girls college/school I have come across, tend to be authoritative and head strong, which is a good thing I guess in a reckless man’s world :tantrum:

11. Silver Sparrow

I go to an all girls school. I think it's been really good for my confidence overall0 I feel like if I was in a school with boys, their opinions might get valued over mine, but at my school everyone has an equal say.

12. Californiacoast

I wanted to play football at the Naval Academy. While I realize the military Academies are coed, they are male dominated. After working with the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, I think I would have enjoyed it. Cadets are woofy. ;-)

13. Hopeful

I would go to an all-girls college, but I'd also go to a male and female college. I would base my decision on my over-all needs, not just look at the sex of who would be there. If the program I was interested in was really great at an all-girls school, then I would go there over one with both sexes that doesn't carry my program/the program wasn't as good.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. Here's the deal. Say a guy is responding, and he says "sure, I could go to an all- male college." Generally, they are much smaller. So, if you go to a major state university, about half the students will be guys. That makes for more guys than at the all-male college. And, eliminating who is straight, unsure, closeted, sexually inexperienced, there are many you can't tap, and even when you figure out who's fair game, it will still be "so many men, so little time," which I've seen as a slogan, a t-shirt, and a bumper sticker. There was no shortage of eye candy in a coed university. Even more supply in grad school. *kicking myself for turning down a few offers* I came up with this thread upon learning that two of an acquaintance's daughters both opted for all-female schools and they are the only 2 out of 3 women I know who have done so.

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to a college which was all-male at the undergraduate level at the time; it became co-ed a few years after I graduated. Most of the colleges in the state at that time were either all-male or all-female. It was not too far "down the road" if you wanted to date girls at one of the all-female colleges, and many guys took "road trips" on the weekends to visit girl friends from home or at nearby colleges. There were also "mixers" where girls would come for parties on busses to meet guys and drink/dance. There seemed to be no shortage of girls at frat parties or football games. I think that the absence of girls all the time made for a better study environment without the distractions of constant dating and "girlfriend maintenance" that I see today amongst straight couples. Not caring that much about the opposite sex, it made little difference to me that there weren't that many of them around, and I did have an occasional date on major party weekends. I also don't remember ever meeting anyone who was openly gay, or even a likely candidate to be "in the closet" gay while I was at school; it was a pretty "conservative" school founded back in the early 1800s.

It occurred to me that it would interesting if there was an "all-gay" college; it could be co-ed or single sex with two satellite campuses. If there are any Billionaires out there on EC, you might want to think about founding and endowing one to get the ball rolling.:thumbsup:

#35 Yossarian, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  16. Skyline

If there were no girls around, who would I chat with?? Maybe I'd learn to make friends with guys... but that's never been easy for me.

17. photoguy93

No way! Oh my god, it would be TORTURE. I could see it now - I'd end up being stuck with all the ugly and boring guys, and then I'd become a recluse because I don't see the purpose of being friends with guys, minus the occasional 1 or 2. Yuck yuck.

18. Beware Of You

No, some of my closest friends are girls.

19. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they offered a decent curriculum that I don't think I could get anywhere else, I wouldn't really mind.

Then again, I always treated my college as a sort of day job. I went to classes and associated with fellow students for uni stuff, but I had other friends that I met and hung out with outside of uni.
    And I was probably quite boring in the dating arena. I never dated, nor really had the desire to date anyone in college (even though the engineering degree was heavily male-dominated and I know for a fact some students were pretty out).

Of course, if the college was one of those hideously conservative places that thinks they're allowed to tell me what to do outside of campus, that would be a major dealbreaker...

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interestingly enough, most all-women colleges in America tend toward the liberal.

Most all-men colleges in America, other than the obvious vibe of the military academies, tend toward the conservative.