1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tom Daley...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Typhoon, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This has nothing to do with the coming out thread in the other part of the forum. I mean seriously... I've been seeing all these articles pop out everywhere on my e-Newspaper tab all day. I mean okay, we get it, he's bisexual (despite the fact that most papers overlooked it as gay) but seriously this is becoming unusually popular... like when One Direction release their album or when Miley Cyrus flaunts her arse into the cameras and begins licking sledge hammers.:confused:

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a big deal because he's a leading figure in British sport who happens to be openly bisexual. That puts him in a really exclusive club as far as British sport is concerned. It says something about society that he felt he needed to do a video about this and that it's getting more attention than what some would consider more important stories like I dunno the protests in the Ukraine?

It'll be in tomorrow's newspapers, doubtless someone from the Daily Mail will say something incredibly stupid about it which will prompt the forming of an angry mob, a question might be asked about it on Question Time, he'll probably appear on Ellen and that'll be the end of it. If you think this is bad wait until someone from the Premiership or SPFL comes out.

And yes a lot of us on this side of the pond are bloody annoyed at the media for thinking the words bisexual and gay were interchangeable.

EDIT: I'm hoping this prompts a greater discussion over whether diving off a really high board into a pool of water can really be considered a sport.

#2 GeeLee, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  3. Siarad

I'll take up that debate - of course it's a sport - you wouldn't want to do it if you weren't good at it and doing it right takes skill.

I'd also like to see Coasteering and Wild Swimming made into Olympic sports though!

4. photoguy93

I'm a little perplexed by it because it's ALL OVER, yet Maria Bello came out pretty much at the exact same time and it's not getting nearly the same attention. Maybe it is and I'm just not paying enough attention.

It's just fascinating.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wouldn't she get more coverage in the States than in Britain?

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Elton John came out in steps, if you will. If his previous status (bi) was real or not, it doesn't matter now. At any rate, he's with someone now.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It all depends on your vision of what a sport is, I guess.

But I will say this much: diving well takes a lot of skill and a lot of practice.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2013 at 05:19 PM ----------

It's probably a case of offensive double standards...

8. Ticklish Fish

if you don't know, most news bounce off each other and are mundane with reporting interesting news.... or the fact that people go omg over miley cyrus's butt over some more serious news where people died somewhere from war

and yeah, journalism in using gay and bisexual could use some works.

9. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is a big deal for me because I saw those pictures of him in the speedo.

10. Harve

Exactly.

It's a particularly big deal because it seems like every man and his dog fancies the fuck out of him. Which is understandable.

But this wouldn't get so much attention if it was a really camp guy, or a fat woman, or someone over the age of 40. But then again, they'd probably not be famous in the first place - a testament to how the world works really.

#10 Harve, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  11. photoguy93

And you win the prize! I feel that's pretty much it. And compared to him in celebrity years, she's "ancient." It sucks.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2013 at 09:35 PM ----------

Exactly! If he was ugly....and let's be honest. Even if he was the worlds greatest athlete, and was ugly, no one would care.

12. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's not entirely true. That guy who came out in NBA was not hot at all. But he still made the headlines all over the world. What you don't seem to realize is that coming out in sports is still kinda taboo, especially for gay men. Which is why the newspapers make a big deal out of it every time it happens.

13. blueberrymuffin

^Yeah, i actually don't think his looks has much to do with it. Collins was also in team sports, which is a whole other level of taboo. As for interchanging bi/gay, i get that it's annoying, but he is in a gay relationship. That's kind of what matters.

If he had said "I'm bisexual" instead that would get different headlines, but his comment about still liking girls was not convincing. Wouldn't be surprised if he's actually gay instead. At 19, that can still be confusing.

14. Jonathan

I would have to say that I completely disagree. Being in relationship with another guy is not limited to gay individuals and therefore cannot be labelled solely as a "gay relationship." What matters is what he actually came out as, and not what others are trying to characterize him to be.

Regardless of whether his statement of liking girls was very convincing or not and despite what others think of his sexuality, others can't determine what another person is. That's all speculation. Is it possible he is gay? Yes. Is it possible that he's bisexual? Yes. The person who knows best about that is him. So if he says he thinks that he is bisexual, then the world should take his word for it.

15. lukeluvznicki13

Funny enough it was a top news bulletin here in South Africa too.
    I am happy to hear how all of the sports department and olympic teams support him.
    :slight_smile:

16. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OH MA LANTA TOM DALEY IS A MAN/WOMAN LOVER. I'm so excited heheheheheeeheeweeee

17. leer

Full credit to the man he`s in the public eye allot & a gay icon so coming out it much harder. he's very very hot I wouldn't say no .

18. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh please. The dude is a millionaire. How can it be hard for him to be gay? Oh has the definition of hard changed? O.O

19. Siarad

I can't comment on Maria Bello because I have never heard of Maria Bello.

Having watched Tom Daley's video I think he is brave - accusing him of not being brave because one shouldn't need to be brave to come out is missing the point. News takes off the way it does and he must have known it would - hence his beating the tabloids to it. For that reason, I admire him. As he said, we need to get to the point where this isn't even an issue but owing to current prejudices, we're not there yet. Therefore I do genuinely find his video empowering.

20. leer

doubt tom is a millionaire. it's difficult for him because he is in the spotlight allot people are expecting him to discuss being gay or bi also younger people would look up to him .