1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spanking/Corporal Punishment---Do you support it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Spanking/Corporal Punishment---Do you support it?

1. No, not at home, and not in school.

61.7%
  2. Yes, at home only.

31.8%
  3. Yes, at school only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, at both home and school.

6.5%
  1. Aussir

If you think I'm not in touch with youth on a daily basis, I suggest you rethink that.
    Talking out of your ass without any knowledge of my daily life only makes you look like an idiot.

When it's "abuse" to simply lay a finger on the kid, what you just said is useless.
    If you think "we" hit the kids, you should take on our grandpas and ma's to see what was harsh discipline. Now THAT, would be full blown abuse nowadays.

What kind of crap are you putting in my mouth? Point out where I said this.

You face massive debts? Inability to get homes? Really? So, like a lot of us who weren't born with a gold spoon in our mouths? Want me to grab an onion and shed a tear? :rolle:

You think I don't have debts and that I own a house? :roflmao: :roflmao:

My dear.. our "new" car is 13 years old (iirc)... and being paid in rates; and our house is just a small 56m2 rented apartment.

You are the one who has no :***: idea of things and thinks everyone over 30 is swimming in money or something.
    FYI, we already had quite the fucked up "world" to pick up after the Baby Boomers decided to flood the world with us (babies) while smoking pot to oblivion and spending money like there was no tomorrow.
    The ones owning all the houses aren't the over 30's... it's the over 60's and 70's OAP's... The Baby Boomers... not Gen X. If we're lucky, we get those houses in a will or something... if we're only child that is...

All this angst... you have issues. Did you have abusive parents?

Again putting some words in my mouth that I didn't say anywhere.

Kindly stop shoving words into my mouth. :dry:

As for difficulties... if you think you're a special flower of some sort, I suggest you take off the pink glasses and take a good look at the real world.

#61 Aussir, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. aidan

No. Don't hit people. Don't hit people ever unless it's super justified. A kid is crying and you want to smack them in the face? You want to inflict pain on them because they're not behaving how you want them too? What the hell is wrong with you?

I don't give a shit if you were hurt as a child. I feel bad that you were hurt by your parents as a child and you ought to be a better parent to your kids than they were to you.

3. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I regret my vote (I voted for yes at both home and school). The posts here changed my mind.

I do think judicial corporal punishments should be used against convicted criminals but that is a different discussion.

4. Aussir

Actually, shouldn't this thread have a trigger warning?

There are some quite "passionate" reactions here to the question and to the people in favor of the occasional hit to the kid's butt when nothing else works.

I wonder if some people are being too affected by the topic due to private reasons regardless of the fact that they're posting on the thread or not.

#64 Aussir, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. castle walls

Personally, I don't believe in spanking. I really don't think that it should be allowed in schools. I work in the education field and there are some teachers (and principals for that matter) I wouldn't trust with scissors much less physically disciplining someone.

True, but it is important to note that we can't really make any generalizations based on that due to our sample. For starters, only 88 people have responded to the poll but EC has 35,873 members (this includes members that are no longer active). Even if we did take out inactive members, we still wouldn’t have a large enough sample to make generalizations about EC members.

This much larger study(pdf warning) that spans 26 years did not find a statistically significant difference on attitudes regarding spanking based on age. According to this particular study, the bigger indicators seem to be education level (college graduates are a lot less likely to agree with spanking), race/ethnicity/Hispanic origin (African American women and Hispanic women are much more likely to agree with spanking than Caucasian women), sex (males are more likely to agree with spanking than females). This study only focused on the United States but it was a nationally representative survey. I was hoping to find a larger study but this was the best free study available that I saw

6. KazTastic

IMO I don't think smacking really helps teach kids anything. Perhaps parents should attempt to teach their children to behave themselves rather than just disciplining them, however, I don't think smacking should be outlawed.

The Singaporean crime rates do make me think though. I'll support corporal punishment for crimes, IF I can be the one dealing the punishment.

7. Aussir

One thing that must be repeated again is: we're not saying that every time the kid does something wrong, we should or would hit it.

What we're saying it that sometimes, a slap in the butt is the only thing that will stop the kid and is usually the last resort.

The problem here is one of communication between both sides of this coin.

People associate spanking with beating up a kid to hell all the time. Spanking is NOT a good word to use when we're talking about things like a slap to the kid's butt.

I am talking about an occasional slap to the butt if nothing else works.

Others are talking about beating up the kid whenever it does something wrong and are assuming that it's what I and others are defending here but it's NOT.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have done some research on this topic.

There is a difference between corporal punishment and child abuse. So using force against a child can actually work under certain circumstances. However, it can be easily abused and the force used can be borderline child abuse. It is really risky. I think people underestimate the effect it can have on the child. It usually makes them worse in some aspects.

So I do think corporal punishment can work but it is way too risky for this method to be used.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to add an anecdotal argument. My mother was hit by nuns when she was at school. Not hit if she wore her socks wrong or anything like that, but if the nuns felt she was sinning or didn't obey their commands as they wished, they would smack her with rulers. My mother is now extremely averse to nuns. My grandfather was hit by his mother, and my father was hit by him. They were all driven insane, and none were able to trust their parents. Their relations are now very distant, my father is still scared of his father, and my grandfather escaped to the most far-flung continent because of his treatment by his mother.

Although the hittings weren't quite so gentle as people advocate for, they had the idea that they were doing it gently and appropriately. The nuns thought they were driving my mother from sin. She deliberately rebelled. My great-grandmother thought she was protecting her son; he was terrified of her and almost ruined his family by escaping to an unknown country. My grandfather thought he was disciplining his children to keep them good people. One turned out a dissolute drunk, another turned out a recluse and a compulsive liar, two more never went anywhere with their lives, and the two who managed to keep it together to be educated have both gone insane and are emotionally abusive (but my father and uncle never have hit their wives and children). Spanking certainly didn't do any good here.

10. biggayguy

First, beating a child is always wrong. If you leave marks that take more than a few minutes to heal that is a beating. Second, spanking should only be used sparingly. IMO you should try other forms of discipline. Sometimes a child won't respond to anything but a spanking. I don't think you should eliminate spanking altogether. It should just be one tool that rarely gets used for discipline.

11. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Doesn't spanking sound so wrong? :/

It sounds humiliating.

12. RawringTiger

Spanking or any kind of abuse by parents is a big NO NO what kind of sadistic people would do that it just causes the children pain and it makes them angry at school and causes them to bully, which brings me on to the school punishment. Absolutely not it just gives teachers the sense of even more power which means if they get abused at home means they are going to get punished at school. school punishment should either be Detention,Exclusion,Call home or even Expelled.

13. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or boot-camp lol.

14. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

No to the spanking...

15. BiPenguin

If anything needs to be done regarding child discipline, it is re-empowering the parents and jumping on these crusaders who interfere in the raising of other peoples children. Like those certain teachers who tell children that they can do whatever they want regardless of what their parents say.

Those mugs are not preparing children for real life after school.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Children aren't property of their parents. Children are individual people in the care of their parents. A big distinction. Parents do not get to do what they please with their children. The right of the parent ends where the safety of the child begins.

17. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So to make a child a better person. You have to hit them. So to make someone nice you have to hurt them. I actually think spanking and stuff messes kids up.

18. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  19. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but make it make sense spanking the hand for stealing is fine but, for writing notes in class just calls for extra work. I don't have anything against it, the child will learn disapline if nothing else works. Long as it isn't used innappropriatly and used reasonably and not tooken advantage of. Some offenses cause for spanking to be the first punishment.
    At schools parents must agree. No EXCEPTIONS!!!!

20. It's completely illegal in Denmark.
    And that's how I like it.

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2013 at 06:51 PM ----------

Couldn't have said it better myself!