1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spanking/Corporal Punishment---Do you support it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Spanking/Corporal Punishment---Do you support it?

1. No, not at home, and not in school.

61.7%
  2. Yes, at home only.

31.8%
  3. Yes, at school only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, at both home and school.

6.5%
  1. Foxface

I agree completely. I feared and couldn't stand my father. He couldn't talk to me. I would almost support his rough spanking if perhaps he tried discussing with me first and not going straight to corporal punishment. He is long gone and while I lvoe him mostly I am not interested in seeing him again.

And the cycle continues. Too many parents get lazy and do one of two extremes; no consequences or physical punishment. Why can't people meet in the middle and discuss what happened? You can still punish by other means but I just don't see the need for corporal punishment

Your second premise is 100% true. It's the cycle of positive reinforcement.

But the first couple of sentences I take some issue with. Not with you Sitri, rather with what is being taught wholesale. When I was in undergrad we were taught all about conditioning and physical punishment. When I was in graduate school and was able to see and apply these theories in therapy and research, it changed my whole perspective.

Spanking and punishment of that sort often causes resentment and aversion. I have seen a VAST level of improvement when I was in the child-care lab. We would have a parent and child in a room with toys, candy, whatever. In the parent's ear was an ear piece out f site. The parent would interact and inevitably the child would act out. We'd help coach the parent on proven techniques to interact with the child during these phases and it was supremely effective.

I am not saying every single kid is the same but the work done in this field is amazing

Spanking and corporal punishment can lead to anxiety, aggression, mental disorders and so forth

Foxface

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was spanked once in school, maybe in 3rd grade? These girls were picking on us on the playground, and we got tired of it, so me and some other boys dug a deep hole in this sandy area, and noting one of the girls had her shoes off, we buried it on of them. Of course she told, and the principal kept repeating 'Who buried the show?", but none of us would tell on the other, so he gave us a choice: miss recess for two weeks, or get 5 paddles with this wooden paddle he kept in his office. I'm not even sure this was/is legal, it was at a public school, small town, rural northern Michigan. So we opted for the spankings.

Did we learn anything? Only to be more clever, and not to get caught. We continued to be even more mischievous, play pranks, and have an overall contempt for authority, which we hid under the guise of being smart/intellectual. If anything, it engendered a fear/dislike of things like the army, the police, anything that was too tightly structured, and involved brute force.

I don't think it works at all, in any particularly positive way, yet humans do have a propensity to get caught up in cycles of violence.

3. Aussir

People like to mix up a few good hits to the arse with full blown spanking/abuse. I don't mix those two together. There's discipline and there's abuse... unfortunately, a lot of parents have no clue where discipline ends and abuse starts and that's the big issue here.

I grew up in a time when schools still had rulers and canes. I got hit with them a couple of times when I did big shit.

My parents, when I did huge shit and nothing stopped me, gave me a few good rounds on my arse.

Did I live in fear? No.
    Do I resent them? No.
    Do I think the hits were justified? Yes.
    Why? Because I was a horrible nightmare as a kid.

I don't pander this "the little darlings can do whatever the fuck they want" and "the poor little darlings, they get all mess up if you touch them" shit mentality that is creating a troupe of useless sluts and gigolos that are more worried about getting shit-faced at the pub and vomiting kids to live off of state benefits.

If a kid of mine ever does the mistake of getting fresh with me, they'll get a warning... if they're still fresh, they get the results of their actions... the end.

4. BiPenguin

I voted yes at home only because as a parent, I have had the occasional time when a child of mine only stopped misbehaving on receiving a smack.

Hitting for the sake of hitting resolves nothing but releases the anger/frustration of the person who smacks the child. That does nothing for the child and makes the situation even worse.

Where a quick smack is most effective is when you smack a child's hand when they are about to do something potentially dangerous such as a toddler playing with a powerpoint. A simple matter of Cause & Effect.

I say no to schools using corporate punishment as teachers have a history of becoming violent with students, causing injuries as a result. My high school had the strap instead of the cane. We turned this into a competitive sport to see how far we could push a teacher and how hard they could hit you. We had our own little rating system.

5. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    corporal punishment is child abuse

6. Aussir

Well... nowadays you have both students and parents hitting the teachers and sending them to the hospital for no reason. :dry:

How about some balance?

I'm not in favor of turning anyone, be it kid or adult, black&blue for no good reason, but I think that this "don't touch at all" approach isn't doing much good either...

7. BiPenguin

I fully understand that but belting students does not help any. Teachers and parents have to be empowered though.

8. Lipstick Leuger

I am noticing a trend.......younger posters(under 25) seem to find spanking abuse while those of us over 30 don't seem to as much.

---------- Post added 7th Nov 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

To be honest, we have no way of knowing that if something different was tried, we would have turned out different. Sometimes saying 'I got spanked and turned out fine' is a good thing to believe, because those of us that did, or did spank our kids, have seen tangible proof of how those not spanked have turned out.

And how do people who have not been spanked know they have turned out fine? Because they have not gone out and shot someone? The same argument can be used for both sides. Sure, we may beieve science, but that in and of itself is only subjective. They used to tell us seafood and eggs were bad and full of Cholesterol, don't eat them they cause heart attacks and strokes! Now, that they actually have more proof, they realize the fat in these items are Omega 3s and healthy and needed. I take all these reports about link of spanking and violence in children with a large grain of salt.

#48 Lipstick Leuger, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, I'm glad that people stand for what they believe in and voted how they wanted, though unpopular. I do that sometimes and feel like "Here we go, I'm going to get shit on."

Here, I'm with the majority. I don't think corporal punishment accomplishes anything. I believe in dialogue before discipline. I think talking honestly can circumvent the need to physically discipline your kid. In fact, kids who get hit tend to fare worse in life than those who don't, from what I can surmise through reading and scanning articles. As for the school setting, teachers are not your parents, nor do they have any right to displace their frustrations, insecurities, and even favoritism by hitting a student. Any teacher I bonded with didn't need to discipline me. Instead, they got peak performance from me and I think fondly of them to this day.

10. GayNerd

June 9th, 2005. My brother's 7th Birthday.

I barely remember the day. But I wasn't spanked per se, at least I don't remember, but I was hit that day. I honestly don't know why. But I do remember my Dad saying that he was wrong to hit us, and that it is a bad thing to do. And he promised to never hit us again. And he has.

Then, recently, my Dad said his Mom had hit him when he was younger. If I remember correctly, he said that it was kind of how he was raised. He also said that I shouldn't hit my kids. (This was before I came out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) I won't because it is wrong. Roseanne Barr even explains-ish it as well in an episode from Season 6 of 'Roseanne'.

Ugh, I trail off a lot. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Nyanko

I'm half Hispanic, so when my sister and I were little, my mom and grandma would bring out "the chancla" (slipper) and spank us with it whenever we did something bad. My grandma would sometimes show us a belt but only ever hit us with the slipper. They wouldn't do it all the time for every little thing, only when we said or did something we knew was bad. We never hated them for it though. We just hated that damn slipper.

My dad, however, would literally go after us and lift us up by twisting our ears, sometimes he'd choke us a little. So growing up I always got scared of him when he brought his hands close to me. Even now when we mess around, I feel he's going to actually punch or slap me if I push the right buttons.

So I think using something like a slipper for the occasional smack is okay. This would make the children know that if they see that particular thing in their parent's hands, they know they're doing something wrong and should stop.

Schools? Absolutely not. They aren't the kid's parents and have no right to hurt them. If there's a problem, inform the parents and let them deal with it.

#51 Nyanko, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out to try to tell people how to raise their kids, but in my honest opinion, if you have to strike a child to get your point across, you failed at getting your point across. I would never physically hit a child, or let a schoolteacher do it either. What other people do though is no business of mine unless they actually abuse the kid.

13. Ticklish Fish

I got spanked by I think father and mother and maybe grandmother as a kid...

Asian families lol. Not anymore after like 4th grade though

14. Tzoa

I voted yes, but only at home only. Though, I think I should have voted "no" because now I'm not sure my views of "corporal punishment" match up what it actually is. I understand children are not psychologically developed enough to understand some complex concepts, so getting points across can be incredibly difficult. If I were in that position, I know I wouldn't spank my child. I don't agree with spanking, and especially don't agree with hitting children with objects like rulers or switches. I'd do my best to explain the situation to them when I'm calm, and depending on how bad their behavior is I might lightly slap their hand. It wouldn't be hard at all. People playfully and lightly hit each other's arms a lot. The little slap would be done in that way. Does that count as corporal punishment?

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it only teaches that some things can only be solved with violence and a double standard that only adults can inflict physical punishment.

16. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pro corporal punishment. Children nowadays have little to no respect for parents and other authority figures and I believe it's because bad behaviour goes unpunished. Just my opinion though :icon_wink

Of course there are alternatives, like taking away priveledges and time out but since spanking has been banned from schools especially, children grew more and more undisciplined. I believe discipline starts at home though

17. Aussir

Are you telling me I could have IQ 153 instead of IQ 143? Let me go over there and cry a river... :dry:

And disgruntled? Yes... at the utter pile of shit that the late Gen Y and especially, Gen Z are.

That's because our mindset is different. We grew up in a time when if we did half the shit teens nowadays get away with, we'd face harsh consequences. Nowadays, they do whatever and get no repercussions.

Instead, whoever dares to tell off the "little darlings" gets a punch in the face from the kid or the idiotic parent. Such nice mentality, I swear... :dry:

18. Foxface

I am one of the few 30+ folks that still doesn't agree with it

but hey that's the power of opinions :slight_smile:

Foxface

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You have an unrealistic idea of youth, one with absolutely no evidence. And in case you haven't noticed, we're the ones raised by those who were hit as children. The attitude of how spoiled young people "nowadays" are is relying on saying that technology makes us infinitely more lucky, ignoring the fact that we (the young) face a future of massive debts, a growing cost of education, an inability to get homes as our parents could. And guess what? That all happened under the guidance of the previous generations whom spanking apparently made better people.

I'm not buying the "nowadays" attitude. When we're faced with a lot more difficulties, you pretend that smartphones negate the effects of the deteriorating global situation.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just wondering if anyone else finds it amusing that there's an almost constant and even ratio of 2:1 between the first two poll options?