1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The other F word.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cloud, Sep 17, 2013.

1. nichison

I dont think the word "faggot" is realy offensive, its how people use the word that can make it offensive

2. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, I just feel like with any word, context is what really matters. I call myself a fag/faggot all the time, just jokingly, and so does my sister. She also calls herself a dyke, and so do I, haha. We just use the terms non-offensively all the time. We use them endearingly. I guess you could say we kinda reclaimed them?

But yeahh, if someone says it in an offensive context, it's absolutely horrible to hear. Even then, tho, I just kinda play it off like "Thank you, I am a faggot, cause I like DICK" just something obnoxious and saaucy to kinda make them feel like the dumbasses they are.

3. KingdomKeyDK

Well I am a hipster, but I have swagger not swag there's a difference. It's not offensive to me but I think it's rude when other people say it to LGBT people.

4. JakeHas

It definitely annoys me when people use that word, despite that it does not actually mean homosexuality, we know that people mean it like it, and in more of an offensive way. I wont get full blown angry at them, but it's something I wish people would stop using.

5. Tic Code

I'm not offended by it in the sense that it's related to homosexuality (because it's really not at all, people just use it incorrectly that way), but I'm offended by the intent typically behind it. It bothers me when anyone uses language to try and degrade someone. And just the way it sounds to the ears or feels when you say it revolts me. Just by nature of its pronunciation, it's an ugly word. So it sounds especially horrible to me when used as an insult.

6. SomethingWitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not even a little offended, and i'll use it, often for humorous effect (when a gay guy calls you a faggot,k you must really be a faggot). Maybe it's because I frequent corners of the internet where moderation is a joke, but I don't attribute anything to that word.

Example: on most imageboards every one is called a faggot all the time for no reason in particular. The word, in that context, just means a person who is/likes/connect to X. Like if you are actually gay you would be a gayfag, if you are straight you would be a straightfag or rarely hetfag, are you british, then you are a britfag, and so forth (though americans are "amerifats" not "amerifags" curiously). Anything you are or like can and often is suffixed with -fag. Personally I believe this is related to an older meme of suffixing camwhore's names with -chan or more rarely -kun (derived from japanese), and that process of suffixing just absorbed fag, as everyone calls every one a fag. This means that the words fag and faggot have lost any and all meaning relative to the rest of the world/internet.

Even beyond that, it's fun to reappropriate the word for ourselves (like how african americans reclaimed the N-word. In the 90's all of the letters dan savage used in savage love began with "hey faggot". If reclaiming it is not something we are interested in, we can use the southpark method of reaiming it at another group (loud obnoxious bikers could use being knocked down a peg).

7. LinkLarkin

This is just an observation, not a statement - but I find it really interesting how hardly anybody on this thread objects to the word faggot, a generally homophobic slur with honest intention to offend, whereas everybody remains up in arms in other threads about the use of "That's so gay" which is meant with no malice whatsoever. Very interesting indeed.

8. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I guess im a bit immature or sensitive on the topic, but i hear it nearly everyday, and hearing my close friends who know I am gay call other people it just makes me want to go crawl in a corner somewhere :frowning2:

Or hearing it used as a positive word beween 2 friends - neither of which are anything but straight... I get negative words used as words of endearments, but the way the word is pronounced always sounds bad to me and idk if ill really ever get over that. To me its still a ton more hurtful than "that's gay"

9. All41

Fag and faggot are the only f words as far as I'm concerned. I've heard them used in horrible ways. Ways so full of hate you'd never want to say them

10. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

[​IMG]

Phonetically, 'faggot' sounds hilarious to my ears. It's just a silly arrangement of syllables. Shame it's used by shitty people to hurt other people, when really we should all be able to dance around hand in hand and celebrate faggotry the world over.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see the word in the way South Park does now, someone who is a douchebag. I'm not offended by it anymore honestly.

12. Au.Quicksilver

Faggot...... that word has been leveled on me a few times. Mainly on topix, but also in verbal contests at school. I honestly don't feel offense. And shouldn't you feel offense if said acusation is false?

13. Northern

I find it is more offensive towards the person who is saying. When I hear someone say it hurtfully it immediately tells me they are ignorant and not very well educated, I could care less what they call me.

14. TheStrongestLink

It's not the word itself, it's the concept behind it.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't find fag that offensive. I don't know why. Maybe because I've mostly heard it to describe an object or a behavior, as opposed to a person. I find other slur words more offensive. A lot of gay men use that term, as in "those shoes are so faggy" or "the inflection in that speech was kind of faggy." It's far less offensive to me than a guy calling another guy a bitch. I'm still hung up on this one guy telling me about his city and saying "A lot of bitches in Denver." I need to get over it.

16. Just Jess

To me the word means "I suck at video games, quit shooting me". But that's probably because I hear it the most often through a headset playing games online.

17. 2112

I don't like it.

18. Stripe101

You mean Frak? Like from Battlestar Galactica?

I'm only kidding. Faggot doesn't really bother me. In fact, no insults really bother me. Actions do.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up thinking of faggot only as a bundle of sticks due to a british children's storybook I used to read. So, I still keep thinking of the word like that, even though I know it is used most often as a derogatory word.

20. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people