1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divorce first, out second?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Choirboy, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been considering for awhile how to come out to my wife, knowing that it will not be easy on her, and also that it's certain to lead to divorce. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the divorce needs to come first. She has always had some pretty ferocious mood swings. When she is happy, she is wildly enthusiastic and almost childlike, but when she swings the other way she is vicious, irrational and occasionally physical. Our 15-year-old has asked me more than once if perhaps Mom was bipolar. If I approach her when she is in a good mood, she is either terribly hurt of else flips out, and in a bad mood, she's not rational to begin with. Today while I was at work, she went off on the 15-year-old, screaming at her and insulting her over some small thing, and hit her once or twice. (Not the first time this has happened, with her or our 12-year-old.) She accused them and me of wanting her out of the house (not far from the truth at this point) and screamed that they liked me better and I always took their side (again, not far from the truth, although not something I ever tried to do).

Now I'm thinking that I should be planning out the divorce myself, before she has a chance to, and coming out at some point after it's all over--which is a huge disappointment, but probably the right thing to do. I'm guessing that coming out as part of this whole scenario might not put me in a very good light? How much input do a 12- and a 15-year-old have in their custody placement? I have never wanted to mess up my wife's life, but I'm getting more and more concerned about what her mental state will do to the girls long-term. A divorce now would be devastating on us financially and we will probably have to sell the house, and that's always been one of my main reasons for going slow, but now I'm re-thinking it. Damn.

2. Bear101

I will tell you that I came out to my wife first, and now we're going through a divorce. I'm wishing I had done it the other way. Or at least had a clearcut "escape plan". I wasn't even planning on asking for a divorce, I was just trying to explain why I didn't want to keep trying to have sex with her anymore.

It seems like wives feel extremely rejected and pissed when we tell them that we're gay. I wish I had done it a different way...

3. aardvark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Look up "Borderline Personality Disorder" and if she meets the criteria read as much about it as you can. Then get "Walking on Eggshells" and read about divorcing from a borderline person. If you decide that she is indeed borderline then feel free to contact me, I have been in a horrendous divorce that can be attributed almost completely to my ex's mental illness. You will not be able to navigate through a divorce from her without help.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like my harpie!

I mean what is rational about hiring a lawyer when the provincial government is willing to pay for 5 sessions of mediation (which would have worked since we didn't really disagree on much). Now we're going to be arguing over who gets to pay the lawyer...insane!

The only explanation I have is that she wanted a lawyer to argue that our division of property and debts should be unequal (the law prescribes equal division, with some exceptions-which is what she thinks she can count on), but after I'm done paying child support and spousal support, I ain't earnin' as much as her anymore.

My wife initiated the divorce proceedings (I know she'd been thinking about it for years) so I accepted that; I will come out to her and the kids when the final divorce papers are signed, not a minute before or later.

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy crap. It's her, 100%. I have some homework to do--thanks, all of you!

So is it just coincidence that a bunch of closet gay guys here were/are married to women with the same disorder? Were we all drawn to women with the same set of loose screws? What need did they fill in our psyches? Sheesh.

6. Bear101

My wife isn't BPD, but she is narcissistic as all hell. She also deals with anxiety, but she won't admit it. She can't deal with anything unusual coming up with at all. And if there's an unusual bill going on at all, she completely flips out.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I believe it may be we seek woman who accept us as a blessing, or we seek them as we view them in a way that makes us acceptable in our own minds.

My wife is the opposite. She has self esteem issues. When she is upset she will not talk to me at all. Better than screaming but not resolution oriented.

Why does she have self esteem issues... She is morbidly obese. I believe this made her accepting of my quirks (lack of sexuality with her). She is a degreed, certified professional and in her line of work very competent but she has self esteem issues due to her weight.

Could we have subconsciously sought woman who would more accepting of us and our quirks?

Don't get me wrong, I love my wife but there is no passion. A passion I need. I did not tell my wife I was gay. I told the truth in that I wanted her to be loved passionately and simply not live with her best friend in a sexless marriage. We did have sex for years but there came a point when sexually I could not force myself anymore. I gave up trying to force myself to be straight.

In a perfect world she will find a new love before she learns I am gay. I don't want to invalidate our years together.

I suspect many of us ended up married to partners who accepted our quirks as we accepted theirs. Desperate people getting married and accepting what the other offered.

Oh we loved them, but we both ignored obvious issues in hopes of finding happiness.

Just my guess.

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2013 at 01:55 AM ----------

Do me marry damaged partners because we viewed ourselves as damaged at the time?

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    With the future in mind, if the above is true...

There are very few undamaged gay men (homophobic society) so we need to discuss obvious issues.

I know I relate best to gay men who were previously married. Usually the first thing we do in our friendships is to be totally honest how we became married and how it affected us. Other guys who got past their marriages just understand with few words, but we each share the whole enchilada.

Lifelong openly gay men when told about my marriage are just confused by the story. Responsibility to children and its depth also seems to puzzle them.

Even now I worry more about my sons than my ex-spouse.

This honest discussion is something we should have done with our ex-spouses before we married.

9. Jim1454

Personally, I would consult with a lawyer to understand what your options are. As for the kids, I think they have a say here in Canada when they are 14 regarding who they want to live with. So your kids are close to that age and might have a say. You don't want to drag your wife through the mud, but you also want to ensure that the kids are well cared for, which sounds like that would be living with you.

Including the talk about your orientation is probably unecessary. It sounds to me like you should be pursuing a divorce anyway, especially if she refuses treatment of any kind. If she was open to counselling, then you'd need to come clean with the fact that there are 2 reasons you're contemplating divorce - 1 being her irrational behaviour and 2 being the fact that you're gay.

It's a complex situation for sure. I'd seek out the advice fo a lawyer and work with a counsellor yourself. That certainly helped me - although my wife was far more understanding and supportive than the average wife in this situation.

10. aardvark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One thing borderline people do is find someone with traits that they admire. For example I was educated, had a great career, was very intuitive and affectionate and was a total caretaker. I also put 1000% effort into being the best heterosexual lover I could be to help beat down my homosexual desires. And almost everything I did reinforced to her what she hated or felt deeply insecure about in herself.

Over time a borderline person will learn to hate and vilify the person they once loved for everything that was once so dear to them.

11. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds so familiar that it's downright spooky.

12. Zach

I wanted to get divorced before I came out, but my wife didn't want a divorce and kept on insisting we go to a marriage counselor. A few months later I couldn't take it any more, so the next time she brought up going to a counselor I ended up coming out to her. That didn't go over too well at first, but she finally did decide that a divorce was the way to go. Things have worked out well, and we are happily divorced now. (!)

13. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Choirboy, you need to leave her now. I'm an Australian so I don't know what the laws are in the US, but if she is hitting your kids you have a responsibility to get them out of that situation. Every day they live in abusive home is damaging them. Getting out is priority 1, worry about coming out later.

I'm currently going through a messy separation myself. I live and work with a man but have fallen for a woman. I think deep down he knows I am bi but that's not the only reason I'm leaving him, is also because our relationship is bad, so I don't see any point in raising it right now.

As to why all you guys have ended up with borderline women, I think we need to remember these girls are confused too. Perhaps their condition caused them to miss or ignore the signs of your sexuality that other women saw? Is very interesting, isn't it!

Here's what I think you need to do:
    1. Consult a lawyer. Keep this secret!
    2. Find alternative accommodation for you and the kids..
    3. Explain to her that you are both unhappy and you need to separate for everyone's well being, then leave as soon as possible.
    4. Take the kids with you. In Australia, kids that age have a huge say in where they live and no court would force them back to an abusive parent.
    5. Worry about coming out down the track. At this stage I think it would just add to the trauma and confusion.

Good luck!

14. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the concern and advice, PV. I've been very reluctant to just take the kids and bolt, largely because I feel that it might not play well eventually in court. There's no real evidence of what she's doing--the physical part of the abuse is limited to occasional slaps and shoves while in a rage, and happens exclusively when I'm not around, so it's not like there are bruises or witnesses or anything like that. I have been very afrraid of looking like the bad husband who steals the kids away from the helpless mom who doesn't even have a full-time job--and she plays the damsel in distress extremely well. I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my goal of getting primary custody.

I did have a long talk with my oldest (15) yesterday and we both came to the conclusion that my wife is not going to change, and divorce is the only option. I mentioned that financially it would be rough and we might very well end up selling the house and moving to something much smaller, and she said she's OK with that if it lets us have a normal life. Haven't spoken quite so directly to the youngest (12) but she has said more than once that "if you and Mom ever divorce and she gets me, I will run away until they put me with you".

I have the name of a lawyer and have started doing my homework. I should also add that several people, including one of my wife's oldest and closest friends, have now witnessed a number of her (non-physical) fits of rage. She's getting more unbalanced and less cautious, so that should work in my favor. My oldest has also spoken to the school psychologist and has shared a number of incidents with a trusted teacher, who has told her that he feels obligated to report it, so I expect things will be moving along a lot faster than I ever expected. Fasten your seatbelts, folks. It's definitely going to be a bumpy ride.

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just called a lawyer recommended to me by an LGBT friend at work. He was not in the office but will call back to discuss the situation and see what it takes to get the ball rolling. I am shaking....

16. aardvark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah that's a big step! Maybe if you just view this as a "consultation" for now that will help keep you calm. You really do need to find an attorney who you click with - I interviewed a few and some really just turned me off right away. Also, once you do find one you need to lay out some sort of plan or strategy to make sure that things go as smoothly as possible. Kind of prepare for worst case. Even if you are kind and reassuring in your approach things can still explode in your face, so knowing your rights as far as money, home, children etc. is paramount.

As far as the big picture, you are certainly not alone! Don't ever forget that (unfortunately) divorce is very very common and the vast majority get through it and move on as if it were an unfortunate bump in the road.

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So after several calls back and forth, I finally had an initial discussion with a lawyer over the phone at work, and made an appointment for a consult with him. Got back to my desk and almost immediately got a call from my wife, in tears and near hysteria, asking if I had called Family Health Services about our older daughter, because they showed up and wanted to talk to her. I told her quite honestly that I had not (although I do know who probably did--she has mentioned some incidents where my wife got very unstable and abusive with her to a teacher who now lives out of state, and he warned her that he felt compelled to report it to the school system). Once she knew it wasn't me, she immediately assumed it was in reference to a minor bullying incident from the previous school year and was totally unconcerned.

I texted my daughter after, and they apparently DID ask about her mother, among other things. After they left, she told her mom that it was related to stress with her health (she has a nervous system disorder) and stress.

My wife finally called me in breathless excitement a good half hour later because the DNA results on the dog came. No mention of the visit whatsoever. Kind of confirming to me just how nuts she is. I am sure we have not heard the last of this, however. I guess I'm glad that I am on record that I have spoken to a lawyer. The timing was rather uncanny.

18. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well done Choirboy, you are progressing in the right direction! It's so great that you can be so open with your kids. Speaking to a lawyer should help too. Most family lawyers (I used to be one) have seen a whole lot of domestic violence and ought to have some tips on how you best approach this.

19. aardvark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well it's kinda scary but a seasoned lawyer can pretty much predict exactly how the divorce is going to go for you. I consulted with several attorneys and more than once was told that I was looking at a dirty $100,000 divorce, that I'd better take full control of all my assets and whatever I do don't leave the house! I found the hardline approach distasteful so I didn't follow their suggestions....well the divorce is about $200,000+ so far and I fought to gain back everything she stole, including MY house.

I would feel like my experience was at least a tiny bit positive if just ONE person learned from my mistakes!

20. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OUCH--Yeah, believe me, I am staying in the house. We had a small business for awhile and I couldn't count on her to even remember to pay the phone bill. My only consolation (of sorts) is that our finances are stretched enough that any effort to ruin me would put her on the street as well. At least I have a stable full-time job. And I never know from day to day--sometimes hour to hour--if she will be an enthusiastic child, an angry psycho, a tearful victim or a sullen crabass, but none of the personalities seems to stick around long enough to be truly devious. But then again, I have never said enough is enough either--so who knows.

Thanks for the support and the wisdom. I think I only found EC a week or so ago, and I feel like I have already gained an incredible amount of strength from all of you. I am so grateful!