1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you comfortable with getting older?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by biggayguy, Jul 9, 2013.

1. germanion

germanion Guest

I am 28 now but looking older is nice ... I like to have some gray hair on my head and on my beard... it would give me the feeling that I am wise and expert...I also like to hang out with people older than me and listen to their knowledge and experience in life .. it is more fun for me than hanging out with people of my age or younger and go to discos and parties which I don't like ..but the problem is getting older will cause some physical problems and you will be less active that what I am afraid of ....

And your beard is nice man :wink: , it reminds me of Johannes Brahms .. I love this composer :slight_smile:

2. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there a choice? I wasn't a happy young person so I'm hoping to come into my own as I age. My age has percs like I've been in my job 23 years so people listen to me, respect me, etc. I've had a beard since age 19 and watched it change over the years from a light brown to almost all gray. It is not on the list of things that bug me.

3. Lakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I like getting older. Once I hit 40 everything changed. I was the boss of me! And each day life just gets better. I turn 50 this year! I am out, have a great career, live in an awesome place, travel. do as I wish. And I like guys my age, cause they are all grown up men! I still "act" (if that's the word I wanna use, because it's not act) much younger then I am. I don't fear getting older I embrace it. It's gonna happen, can't stop it, have to make the best of it!

Lakota

4. RainbowMan

At 34 I don't really consider myself old as such. However, I have this fear of getting older. I've never been in a relationship, and I think that it shows. When I'm out at an event for gay guys for instance, I tend to have what I'll term "verbal diarrhea"

This is going to limit my choices in partners, and there are so many more guys that look "better" than me, that I fear that my choice of partners is zero. So there's where I'm uncomfortable with getting older.

5. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I turned fifty nearly two weeks ago and have never been happier in my life. I have great friends, I have my health, I am more confident in who I am, and, although I try to get on with people it no longer bothers me if someone doesn't like me.... that's about them, not about me. The important thing is not what other people think of your picture... it's what you think when you look at it. I see myself in the mirror, warts and all, and I shrug and go "Hey, I may not be perfect.... but if I met myself in a bar I would probably hit on me ;-) " That's not meant to sound arrogant, it's just that I am at peace with myself... and apparently ( judging by the number of guys who have shown interest in me) that seems to be a much sexier attribute than a six pack or a gigantic penis.

6. bitheway13

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great topic!

Yeah, getting older is no fun. Especially it seems that a lot of the gay bars are very youth oriented and guys there are extremely body conscious. My hair has been thinning for a while. I didn't really realize how much I had lost until I looked back at some old photos of myself from my 20s. Very depressing!

But, yes, as other people have said... there's not much we can do. Time keeps moving on whether we like it or not. I do feel that I wasted a lot of my youth living in denial and not accepting myself. But oh well... can't go back in time.

I think the beard looks good. You should be yourself. Being confident is a very attractive quality in anyone. I have to say it is refreshing to see some older men having a conversation on here. When I go out to my local gay community, it seems like I am the only person over 25 and I feel REALLY old.

I think maybe the one blessing of being older is that I might meet a guy who is interested in ME as a person and not just my bodybuilder physique -- because I don't have a bodybuilder physique! Haha. :lol:

7. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

Not really, it gets more and more confusing over the years.

8. MixedNutz

Beards are hot.

The SO just shaved and I hate.

I am somewhat comfortable with it, what choice do we have. I think you are only as old as you feel.

Whats the alternative? 37 surgeries and a face like Joan Rivers?

9. HopeFloats

I'm 38 and feel better than ever. Yes, I know I was much thinner and hotter in my 20s but I'm much more confident and comfortable in my own skin now. I know who I am and what I want.

10. sguyc

Distinguished! Definitely, no joke.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

To tell the truth, not really. But aging isn't something that happens overnight and by the time I'm old I'm certian i'll feel as natural that way then as I do how I am now. So i'm not afraid of it or anything

12. merlin

merlin Guest

OK, I agree that getting older is a fact (unless you take matters in your own hand of course and end it right now and here; an option I keep very seriously in my mind). Do I enjoy getting older? No, I rather be 25 or so, be out the closet and still have a decent chance of attracting a partner in the same age group. Does my life experience etc. not count? (not to mention better income) Yes, it does but I'm not sure I would not give it up for being younger again (money buys stuff, not happiness). Getting older is not a prospect I look forward to. Apart from the limitations you have to endure, there is increasing threat of living your life alone if you are queer (I've seen too many examples of this already) and frankly, the alternative (going back to option above) to me seems much better. There is no hell after death, but there sure can be one during life. Sorry to be so pessimistic. It's not my week.

13. Biotech49

I came into my own at age 49 and I honestly feel a LOT younger than my years. I don't look too bad for a 50 year old either, except for the weight. There is always THAT. I have grey mixed with mostly very dark brown hair. Can't decide whether I'm going to color or not. I guess I could call it "highlights", right?

I started over with a new career (almost done with school - two and a half more weeks of my internship!), a huge weight loss (65 pounds), coming out with a bang, a new girlfriend, and new friends. Life is good.

14. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    As long as the beard is kept tidy then a guy with a beard can look nice, just keep it short.
    Do you want to tell us about the new avatar picture, and yes the signature line is good, great show Home Imorovement.

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought I would hate it, but actually, I'm starting to like it. In the last year I have lost (as of this writing) 95 lbs and have gone from feeling like I am 60 to feeling like I am 30 or 35--although my right hip sometimes thoughtfully reminds me that I really am 51 after all! I look better than I have in years, am thinking of losing the gray once I hit 100 lbs, and I have a confidence and self-assuredness that I never had when I was younger. All in all, once I figure out how to deal with the whole marriage thing, I'm pretty OK with where I am.

Mind you, if someone showed up with a time machine and offered to make me a 20-year old twink for a couple days, I would probably not turn them down....

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Choirboy,

What if you could not take that experience back to twinkdom?

Without what I know now twinkdom would be no better than the first time.

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hah--yeah, the 51-year-old brain has to come along for the trip, or there wouldn't be any point!

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of the things about getting older, however you choose to define that, is that a lot of things are behind you. You've done and seen a lot, so there's less angst and curiosity about what's around you. In that way, you're more relaxed, as in BTDT.

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I am more curious than ever. Every answer leads to three questions.

20. merlin

merlin Guest

It seems many of you are aging in a different way than I am :icon_wink. I feel trapped in an aging mind, aging body, same old job, and environment. Change is hard and comes at a terrible price (I find). When I was young I had dreams and hopes, now dreams turn into nightmares and hopes fade quickly. I see a dim future and nothing to look forward to. Is this me or aging? Perhaps both. Did I mention I am clinically depressed and taking max dosage of anti-depressants every day? I realize that when I was young life was no pleasure either and I may idealize it looking backwards now. If you ask me, life is like swimming upstream all the time, looking for that one rock to hold on to for a while and catch a breath. But, on a positive note, if that rock is handsome, young and intelligent, I'll go for it :icon_bigg