1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Else DOESN'T Drink?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BoiGeorge, Apr 15, 2013.

1. prism

I have a lot of friends that don't drink, but still come out to bars and parties with us. Before college, I only drank at (Irish) family events. Now I drink pretty much every weekend because... college, yo. I will probably rarely drink after I graduate.

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l was probably completely drunk from 18-19.

Over it almost completely by 21. Now drink maybe 4 times a year.

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism from both sides of my family (father and maternal grandfather were alcoholics when they were younger) so I don't plan on drinking on any sort of regular basis except for maybe a single glass of red wine a night for the health benefits as long as it doesn't get out of control.

4. FruitFly

I'm perhaps falling out of the young adult category now, but I don't drink. I do not like how it makes me feel and given that a few sips make me flush I'd rather avoid it completely.

It does make for an interesting night out when you're sipping tonic water and everyone else is slowly heading towards being more than a little tipsy. Really is fascinating the different a bit of alcohol can make in some people.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really do not drink that much. I've drank once since I've came to college. (I'm in my second year). I find it fun to watch drunk people. I also am usually the DD.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I tried it once, out of curiosity. I was out with some people for a friend's 21st birthday, and we were doing a pub crawl. They all got different mixed drinks at the first stop, and I tried a sip of each. I hated the taste. It was like drinking flavored gasoline. The only one that I kinda liked was a lychee one, and the person who got that said it didn't taste like it had much vodka in it. So there you go.

Moreover, as someone who values my mental faculties and my mental autonomy, I have strong reservations about anything that takes those away. Any substance that is supposed to make you "relax" has the opposite effect on me; my brain tries actively to fight against its effect, so no relaxing goes on. They say alcohol takes away your inhibitions, but I think I'm at a healthy level when it comes to those. My inhibitions are strong enough to keep me from doing something I'd regret later but lax enough that they don't hold be back from something I want to do. And when I'm out with friends, the connection we have is already enough to get me talking. If alcohol is a social lubricant, you could say I'm already wet and ready when I go into social situations.

So I don't like the taste or the effects, thus alcohol has zero appeal to me. Plus alcoholism runs on both sides of my family. And I've had pretty bad emotional problems in the past, and if I conceptualized alcohol as a coping option, I'd surely abuse it.

So yeah, I don't drink, and probably won't any time in the near future. But a lot can change in a lifetime, so beyond the immediate future, who knows?

7. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I don't. :grin: I have to two friends who started drinking in college...the other four are still perpetually sober. :grin:

8. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't. I absolutely hate being around people when they're drunk, and I don't see any reason to pick up a needless bad habit.

9. Renge

Nope, I won't!

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Used to not drink at all, hanging with my 'nerd cult' group of friends, though I have been taste-testing the past few weeks. And with no luck mind you, bleh everything I've tasted so far is just 'ick' for me.

Also, I've found that (like my dad and sister so it's not really a surprise) I'm pretty averse to its effects. Seems like I'd need to do liquor to feel any different in state of mind, and that's probably a bad idea so...

Will probably end up sticking to energy drinks - which are arguably worse for you if you're not susceptible to alcoholism. Hell, one could claim they're worse than cigarettes, minus the secondhand...

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I drink wine at family gatherings, have since I was allowed sips as a kid (it's more of a cultural thing). I enjoy wine, but beer is disgusting to me. It tastes like piss.

I enjoy a good vodka from time to time.. but it's not a common occurrence that I drink. I doubt that as I get older that I'll become more of a drinker either.

12. Nyanko

In middle school, one of my friends gave me this orange drink to try, and I didn't know it was laced with some really strong alcohol...so I drank it, and it tasted awful. I ended up zoning out in my classes that day. :x

Other than that I don't drink, although I know I eventually will, just not now. All my friends make it seem to be the funnest thing ever, but I don't really see it so I don't do it.

13. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I only drink if it's like a special occasion, if it's offered to me(I find it rude to refuse), or if I'm really and even then, it's like one glass. I don't drink to get drunk, I don't really see the point in that. Also, I hate the taste of beer, it's nasty, for me to drink alcohol, it's has to be really "fruity". lol

14. Harve

I know about... one person that doesn't drink.

Welcome to Scotland.

15. evora

I don't drink either. I hate being always asked (by my family) if I wanted any wine or whatever it is they have. I always tell them not to ask me anymore because I do not drink but they always do...They even tell me a bit of alcohol would make me feel better and that it's healthy.:dry:
    I like Vodka but I don't drink in case I'll like it too much. When we had some at home, I drank it to me feel numb so I really don't think I should...

16. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I was always very anti-drug and anti-drinking until I went to college. And then I picked up a wine habit, I freaking LOVE Moscato. Honestly, some of your posts makes me wonder what kind of alcohol you guys have been drinking to have had such terrible experiences with it, especially if it tastes like gasoline. I've cut back on my drinking though. Mostly because I can't afford it and secondly, because I had my party monster days, and I'm ready for something fresh. My boyfriend doesn't like it either.

I don't think it's right to demonize alcohol though, quite frankly. People make irresponsible choices because of it and of course when it's abused it sows discontent and terrible things, but it's also a very nice social lubricant and I feel like it has served me very well over the last four years.

18. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Wow! There are so many people who dont drink! Im really surprised!! :grin: Where are you guys when I want to do something not pertaining to alcohol on the weekends?! :grin: haha

19. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking this as I read through these. Some people are making alcohol out to being much worse than it is, I know it can have life devastating effects (my dad/grandfather/great grandfather is/was alcoholics.) but in moderation it is essentially harmless.

I drink on occasion, not as frequently as my friends, but I do still enjoy a drink every once in a while. I had reservations about alcohol from what I seen from my dad in my childhood but I trust myself not to get to that point. I have confidence that I will not use it as a crutch.

I usually operate under the mantra of "to each their own" but it irked me to see so many people demonizing alcohol.

20. Hexagon

Fair enough, though I am curious as to how you know what piss tastes like. :slight_smile:

As for the comments regarding alcohol demonisation, I agree that's a little excessive. Assuming no one (excluding the drinker) gets hurt, then it should be a matter of personal choice.