1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only gay person who doesn't like abortion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caudex, Apr 12, 2013.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For some people it does LOL

:kiss:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a couple of really big problems with a response like this. First, it's not consistent. This view, in order to have any teeth, has to be that abortion is murder, and all murder is the same. So, if you're advocating mandatory community service and not prison time, you're not representing a belief that abortion is murder, because you're not saying abortion merits a punishment proportional to that of murder. Or you're saying that it's a different, "lesser" kind of murder. (But that can't work: murder is murder.) Or you're saying that all murder punishments should be very sharply diminished. Any three of these alternatives make this kind of position look uncredible. Second, what you're advocating is slavery, kind of like forcing women to carry a fetus to term against their will. Also, this is violence against women, and we'd be state sanctioning that.

3. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I don't think that abortion is murder if done early. I have no problem with the morning after pill, but at six-seven weeks, when brain activity starts, I'd really prefer to see no abortions if possible.
    If a woman is raped or the condom breaks or something, there's ample time to get a pregnancy test.
    But three months after conception is simply too long, if you ask me. I think 25 days is more than enough time to get a pregnancy test and abortion.
    (By the way, I don't consider it abortion until the zygote becomes a separate human being from the mother, which is around 25 days. Just to clear up any confusion.)

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And by "there's ample time to get a pregnancy test," you're saying that a woman has to "catch it early" or be forced to carry to term. That in my opinion is slavery and torture, and I don't think that's fair.

There's also medical necessity, which is a real issue, as we have seen in Ireland recently, where some doctors got on their high horse about being against abortion, which caused them to very cruely murder an Indian woman last year.

5. rickon43

rickon43 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The majority of the pro-choice argument is based on moral relativity - if everyone agreed with everyone else there would be no need for laws in the first place.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2013 at 09:45 PM ----------

Should abortion be legal 5 minutes before the baby comes out of the vagina?

6. Eric

At that point, the pregnant person would be pretty far into labour and it would be easier to simply proceed with live birth. But in another late term situation, I have no moral objection to aborting the fetus. It's extremely rare, however, for doctors to perform abortions that late into a pregnancy unless it's medically necessary.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. You're clearly trying to make me look silly or evil by throwing out a hypothetical. I linked to a real situation that's actually happened, where a woman got killed by an extremely evil point of view.

I'll bite that bullet, because it's the easiest one to take. I think the ones for your side are even harder; especially if the last general election results are considered.

I mean, if you're really so invested that you're going to put thought experiments out there to try to hammer out a crack in my position, that's fine. However, I feel compelled to say that I believe a realization of your position would amount to state-sanctioned violence against women, and I think that would be inhumane and morally reprehensible in the extreme.

I would say that our democracy has gone completely off the deep end at that point.

#147 Pret Allez, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  8. FranklinK

I don't agree with abortion, but I think it is a choice - one that should be made by the potential parents. I just don't think women or their vaginas should be owned by the government, but I'm just a silly libertarian.

9. rickon43

rickon43 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, almost every first world country disagrees with you in this instance.

10. Eric

Then they're being entirely inconsistent in their laws on abortion.

I'm happy to say that Canada has no such restriction, despite the recent failed attempts by a few Conservative MPs to reopen the topic. And I feel I must point out that late term abortions in Canada are almost exclusively performed out of medical necessity. If someone carries a fetus into the third trimester, it's very likely that they intend to carry it to term.

11. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Legally, I support the access for women to have an abortion. I am pro-choice in the legal realm. Morally, I am anti-abortion for the vast majority of cases except for medical reasons. I would voice my opinion and encourage women not to have an abortion and to consider other options, especially if it was an accidental pregnancy.

When I hear cases about a medical necessity, that is when I feel abortion is most appropriate. I would never look down on someone that needed to have an abortion or otherwise experience severe health risks. However, I do look down on it as a form of birth control. I support their legal rights to get one, but I think the woman should carry the baby to birth because of moral reasons. We have contraceptives for a reason. We have adoption agencies for a reason.

12. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Excuse me, I am not a woman, but doesn't it take a while before a woman realizes she is "late"? Especially those who aren't that regular or have long intervals anyway?
    And then, wouldn't a doctor give a woman some maybe even mandatory thinking time? It's not like they find out they are pregnant and think "yippee, let's have an abortion!"
    I think there will be some shock, panic and some struggle. I don't think people particularly like to go for an abortion and will seek help for making a choice. They might want to find out what the alternatives are first.

I can see how this might take some time from the first moment you found out you were pregnant, which also might be like in week 8-9 or something.
    I know my mom only had 4-5 periods a year....

Also, I don't think pregnant women purposely wait. It's always circumstances. Ofcourse we can not like the fact it happens late sometimes and might feel like it is "unfair" to the child or even "murder", but it is a justified action. We mustn't forget that. There is always a reason!

And again, it will happen anyway. It's not like when it's illegal, it won't happen. We KNOW that. It just happens somewhere else on in another way. Or the baby is killed as soon as it born. I don't think that is better than legal abortion in a safe way.

How many of us had a hard time accepting we were LGBT? What if people said : "Well. As soon as you know, you HAVE TO COME OUT otherwise it is immoral blablabla? "
    Sometimes it takes time to accept and adjust to the situation before you are ready to take ANY action. Especially when it's about something that is life changing.
    I can totally get it when a woman needs some time to realize what pregnancy and having a child will mean to her. And that she will look at all alternatives before thinking about abortion.

But to be honest, I can see how it is a lot easier to take the morning after pill, but there is always a chance (greater, I suppose?) that she isn't pregnant, and then it seems a bit over the top to take a hormone overload, so I understand why a woman might just wait to see if she gets her period.

And ofcourse birth control is the way to go, but it doesn't always work and not every body (literally) can handle them.

As for adoption:
    This caught my eye just now.
    Supreme Court to consider adoption case of American Indian girl

And I can imagine situations in which it is really hard to give up your child that you carried.

I think it is an extremely hard situation to be pregnant of an untimely/unwanted child and understand that mothers seek abortion, just like I understand how others will give the child up for abortion. Which seems even more heartbreaking to me.
    But I still feel the choice should be up to the mother.

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2013 at 09:59 AM ----------

They started out for ORPHANS!!!!!

Now it's a business. People want to get rich and there is a big demand for babies, so yes, let's try to get as many as possible! NOT a good argument, I think, against abortion.
    Reality, maybe, but it makes me sick to think a poor girl that wanted to have an abortion has to carry a child because someone else wants it so badly.
    To me it doesn't feel like they are helping the girls. To me it feels like they have "brood moms" to help them (the agencies) get rich.
    Looks a lot like slavery to me....

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2013 at 10:07 AM ----------

Come to think of it, it is a good argument against abortion to want as many born as possible. That just came out wrong. I mean you shouldn't have control over the pregnant women because agencies want as many babies as possible.

13. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I think you missed the distinction I made by what I view legally and what I view morally. Legally, abortion should be legal across the board. Morally, I have certain issues with it being used as a form of birth control. That's just my personal opinion.

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lt's interesting that you made the question essentially about yourself when it's a debate that involves billions of people.

l'm sure many young mothers consider it and don't tell their children so l wouldn't think you were the only person who had almost been aborted.

l'm not sure that it's a qualifier for taking a political stance against it.

l'm like the others who have said l would support it but probably wouldn't have one. You can support a choice for other people and make a different decision for yourself.

#154 OMGWTFBBQ, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  15. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    O.k.

Ofcourse prevention in the best birth control, but shit happens.

And "adoption agencies" triggered something in me.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Ideally it shouldn't have to happen. Sadly we don't live in an ideal world so if it's what the woman wants that's her choice.

17. Eatthechildren

casual reminder that not everybody with a uterus is a woman

18. theMaverick

I don't think that anybody LIKES abortions.

I'm almost 100% certain that no one has ever said "I want to get pregnant just so I can have an abortion."

HOWEVER, you don't have to like one to get one. If one is pregnant, and they don't want to keep the child, or they know they won't be able to carry the child to term, or for basically anything other reason, then it's a personal decision up to that person, or that couple, and their medical provider.

19. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I haven't really read anyone's post except the OP cause I'm in a lazy mood at the moment, but I'm just going to chip in my piece here...

I support abortion as long as it is done before about 6 weeks. After this time, the foetus has synapses in it's brain, which means that it's central nervous system is active. The reason I feel it's okay before this time, is that the foetus is not conscious, it has never been "awake" as such, and so I don't see much of an issue, if it has never been "awake" then you're not taking anything away from it, it has never had a single thought, and for that reason it cannot think about what's happening during abortion. In the same way, without synapses a foetus cannot feel the effects of various neurotransmitters, and so it wont feel any pain during abortion.

However, as soon as it's central nervous system is active, then I feel the foetus is alive, and should not have it's life taken. This is the point where I consider it murder, as it is conscious, even if it isn't born.

This is probably going to come off so bad, but I'm glad abortions are being made from foetuses BEFORE it's central nervous system is active. The reason being, is that the world is already overpopulated enough, and medical research as well as progressing genetic mutations (albeit very slowly) are making people live even longer. This is one of the massive advantages of gay people I believe, as a lot of gay couples go for adoption instead of adding another person to the already over-populated world.

Just my two cents.

All the best.

#159 Zaio, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  20. OutwardSmiles

In my personal opinion, I think it's wrong. A life is a life, no matter how old they are. I especially can't stand it if it's because of a stupid reason like they didn't use a condom or they had willing underage sex and didn't want to be judged. I understand people can get bullied because of it, but if you're mature enough to decide to have sex with someone, you're mature enough to handle the consequences. Of course if there's a medical danger, I don't have anything to say. If you have to choose between one life or the other then that's fine. But killing a baby because you were too lazy to use a condom and not mature enough to face the consequences? I don't see how that's fair at all. Once again, this is all my personal opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to force anything on anyone, just giving my views. And I do understand that there are other, more valid reasons to get an abortion. I was just talking about the reason that ticked me off the most.