Being Mistaken for the Other Gender

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Have you been mistaken for the other gender? (while not deliberately trying to)

1. I'm male and have been mistaken for female

29.5%
  2. I'm female and have been mistaken for male

25.0%
  3. I'm male but have never been mistaken for female.

28.4%
  4. I'm female but have never been mistaken for male.

17.0%
  1. castle walls

I haven't been mistaken for male since puberty. I think I was a few times when I was really young (under ten years old) but that would be it. I'm not going to vote because I don't know if you want to count it happening to someone when they're that young

2. boysdontcry

being FAAB and masculine identified this is hard to answer, but misgendering is definitely a common occurance! as a kid I got "mistaken" as a boy a lot, especially at arcades and the like, especially after I cut my hair short enough it looked like a boy cut under a hat (which I wore 24/7 ). after I hit puberty it still happened, but people would correct themselves quickly after they got a second look at my face (read: chest). Now, I look androgynous enough that strangers call me sir just as much as miss, though the more I speak the more it leans towards the feminine.

3. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol, I've been told that my voice makes me sound like a teenage boy. 90% of people on XBL think I'm a dude, then ask why my gamertag has a girl's name (it's my first name then a bunch of numbers). I usually make up a story about how it was my sister's Xbox or something; that tends to get less weird responses than me saying I'm a girl.

4. RainbowMan

Never been misgendered in my life. However, being from NYC - I'd question your characterization of the Village (at least the East Village, where that is) as a "gay area". The West Village obviously unquestionably, and Chelsea.

Me? You'll have to guess where I live, but it's not hard. It's been taken over by the "stroller mafia" (or that's what I call it) :grin:

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been referred to as a female a good 3-4 times on the train. Honestly, it's a bit flattering, and pretty funny. I love it when someone mistakes my gender. It tells me I'm doing a good job at appearing as I am.

6. Everytime I go out with my family and friends it's always "Excuse me, sir?" or "Here ya go, man." or "Why, hello young man!". My little sister gets irritated when her friends call me her brother (She's in the fourth grade) but, I really don't mind. I have told my sister that if me dressing the way I do bugs her, I'll stop. But, she insists that she loves having a one of a kind sister and that I shouldn't change. :slight_smile:

7. Danibee29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes I have but only by a little kid, which was a while ago.
    But I used to get bullied and people would call me man lady, so yeah.
    I just have a bigger jaw then normal girls I guess, androgyny FTW

8. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think the term "dude" or even "man," necessarily implies that someone thinks you're a guy. My friends and I say "dude" all the time, to refer to people of either gender.
    I.e. "Hey dude, what's up?" could be said to a man or woman and doesn't have any gender implications. It's just how we talk.

9. saggitarius91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told I confuse people and sometimes get asked if I'm transitioning, which I'm not. Now, I have feminine facial features, been growing my hair out, and have slightly effeminate movements but I dress like a dude lol.
    It's when I speak that people apologize for acknowledging me as a "she" or "her."
    I'm not offended by that, actually, I quite like it and take it as a compliment.

10. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've never been mistaken for a guy in real life, but it happens online sometimes.

11. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I've been mistaken for a guy quite a few times, especially when I had super short hair. I mean most of the time I'm wearing slightly baggy jeans and a hoodie. It has never bother me, but I've never had a bad experience, just amusing ones. Like when someone pointed my friend to the women's locker room and me to the men's at a swim meet :lol: The girl was SO confused when I followed her into the women's locker room. I get called sir a lot. Not going to lie, I kind of like it.

12. timo

Never, and it's unlikely to ever happen. No matter how tight my jeans are, I'm still 6'4" tall with a pretty deep voice :grin:

13. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the time, way more lately for some reason...
    Usually when I am out with family/friends getting something to eat or buying clothes.
    The waiter/waitress often addresses me as "sir" or "gentlemen"
    Same thing with cashiers...

At work (some amusement park) I see thousands of people a day and about 10% probably get my gender right...

I don't mind, I do come off pretty masculine, I feel worse about how they feel once they realize they've made the mistake >.<

14. LabRat

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am mistaken for a boy occasionally, but so far I've just found it a bit amusing. I have very short hair and dress fairly boyish sometimes. It still gets pretty cold here so I've been going around in warm, bulky hoodies and a thick coat so it ends up being difficult to tell if I actually have a chest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Was mistaken as a boy while waiting in line in the caf at school and the poor guy was quite relieved to realize I'm a girl after spending a significant amount of time trying not to stare at my butt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    mmm.. to this day, my friends tell me (im black btw!) that if i trimmed my eye brows and grew my hair "out" (lol, if that was possible) I would definitely be a girl.. my voice kind of could pass as a girl with a unique voice, and my singing voice doesnt usually sway people.. Also im like 5"2 and "curvy" haha... im weird

On the phone, ive been called a girl since the first time i ever answered a phone. (yes, even as a child) "hey there little GIRL, are your parents home?" xD its sad, ill be in my 20s and probably still recognized as that.

16. Mogget

I get mistaken for a woman on the phone all the time. And I never remember that it happens so it throws me every time.

17. Clowstar

i have gotten misgendered by children and older men. i'm fairly feminine but don't wear makeup often for comfort's sake. i have short hair, but not boy-short. it's also styled as a female haircut. however, since i'm very tall, people think i'm a man at first. because apparently no one has ever seen a 6' tall woman before.
    the worst thing that happened with the children was that i was at work and trying to push a cleaning cart out of the elevator when the children were in the way and i raised the pitch of my voice to sing-song level to say "excuse me" (i always do that to strangers for some reason). so my voice was about an octave and a half higher than my normal speaking tone. the kid still asked her mother if i was a boy. /facepalm

18. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, so did they with me. They also used to call me "it" because they knew I was a girl, but dressed and acted like a boy, they were just like "WTF is that!?"
    I like being called a guy, but man lady and 'it' are a step too far for me :frowning2: thanks to them I started growing my hair out in high school, dressed more 'girly', etc. and started losing touch with who I really am.

My girl/boy rates are about 50/50 I guess, until I start to speak, then it quickly drops to something like 90/10 towards girl :frowning2:
    I hate my voice! Grrrr!

But yeah, the moral of the story/this topic; also cisgendered people get misgendered sometimes.