1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Mistaken for the Other Gender

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Have you been mistaken for the other gender? (while not deliberately trying to)

1. I'm male and have been mistaken for female

29.5%
  2. I'm female and have been mistaken for male

25.0%
  3. I'm male but have never been mistaken for female.

28.4%
  4. I'm female but have never been mistaken for male.

17.0%
  1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Alright now I'm not transgender or anything, I am male, I identify as male, I don't like do drag or anything, but recently I've been having issues with people mistaking me for female, in particular with regard to bathroom usage.

The other day I was in the Barnes and Noble bookstore by Union Square and was heading to the bathroom. First when I was just entering the door to the bathroom, I was stopped by this guy walking by, a black guy who looked to be in his mid-20s, shouting at me "hey, that's the mens' room", I just turned and stared at him with a look of like "yeah and?" and he said "oh" and that was it...

....but then I walked in there was security guard in there, a middle-aged white man with a mustache, the bathroom was crowded with people waiting on line, the people were taking forever in stalls, but this security guard looked at me and said "you're in the wrong bathroom, missy". Anyway the line was too long anyway, so I didn't say anything and just left the bathroom and the store. I ended up going to Starbucks and using their bathroom, wasted $5 on a skinny vanilla latte because of that.

Now, I was wearing my rather tight pair of size 28 purple skinny jeans I bought on sale a few weeks ago at H&M, a white rainbow-studded belt and was carrying my CKJ messenger bag on my shoulder, over a grey CK jacket, and a Kangol fedora, with a red-and-white keffiyeh around my neck as a scarf. Not the most masculine of outfits, but still, this is Manhattan, New York City in 2013. The neighborhoods around it are Chelsea and the Village, pretty gay areas too.

But a similar situation happened to me a few months ago, when I was studying abroad in Russia.

I was at the Dostoevsky Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia. Me and one other guy from our group had to go to the bathroom, so we went walking around looking for it. We found this old babushka sitting at a desk, an old lady in her 60s or 70s, and he asked her in his broken Russian where the toilette is. Evidently she thought we were a couple! She told him go to the left to the men's room and that your wife (me!) goes to the right to the ladies' room. Now when I ignored that and went to the left to the men's room, she shouted "nyet, muzh" to tell me no, that's the men's room. Again I just stared at her for bit and said I know and I guess she figured it out and her eyes widened like she was in shock. At least I got to use the bathroom that time.

I know this very butch lesbian from the LGBT center I go to has had problems where people thought she was a man in the ladies' room; kinda highlights the issues transgender people face with the bathroom police, when even cisgender people have issues with people thinking they are in the wrong bathroom based on gender.

Does anyone else have any experiences like this?

2. jackram

Well I get mistaken for a girl a lot... but I'm a trans guy so go figure. XD

3. SheWhoHasNoName

I get mistaken for a guy at least 3 times a year. It's really weird because my facial features are rather feminine and I have long hair... But, I don't really mind.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All the time. With my height, weight, hair, and 'soft' features, it's hard not to. At some point I decided to stop caring to distinguish whether or not being 'mistaken' as a female comes in the form of a genuine error or underhanded insult.

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I try my best to pass and I've been passing a lot as male lately, but I do get more "miss" and "she/her" than "sir" or "he/him" in general. :frowning2: I don't know how to answer personally haha. I'm a transguy who still kinda looks very feminine, but I'm sure I'll pass properly as male once I start my full transition.

I guess I should toss in that before I realized that I was trans*, and before I started crossdressing, I was very much mistaken for a boy. I've had a few students at my school ask me what my gender is, which kinda offended me at the time but I let it slide. :slight_smile: I just have a fairly masculine face, I suppose. And this was back when my hair was pretty long.

6. SleeplessS

Oh God ALL the time!! I'm a girl okay, and I absolutely hate it but I am guaranteed to be mistaken for a guy at least once a month!!! It's SO tiresome. I'm not butch, face is noting like a guys so go figure...

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no clue why, because quite frankly my figure is fairly burly and broad, but whenever I'm clean-shaven I am for some reason mistaken for being "female-at-birth," on what I assume to be a somewhat atypical rate (that is, atypical as it would relate to most other people). Which is once or twice a week, though more for all I know since I don't go about asking people about...

I don't take offense to it - it just leaves me scratching my, head :eusa_thin. I'd describe myself as fairly agendered in an internal sense, but I really don't see how I look at all like a female, lol.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do all the time. I think I got read right once, but that's it.

9. June Cleaver

Oh god yes! All the time when I shave. I love it when it happens. I have long hair which is female looking, creamy white skin which is so soft like a female even my hands, even the shape of my face does it at angles. In my case I know I put off some sort of pheramones of a female in heat that drives men crazy and has since around puberty. Every guy I know all have told me they view me as a woman at some point. I sure wish I had got the right body at birth because I look like my mom's twin and she was breathtaking in her day and she emits the same pheramone. Just at the car wash I was sitting in line in the car which is a silver Volvo V70 wagon. When the cute boy came up to ask me what wash I wanted he said something like this "What'll you have beautifull" I said nothing at this point then he said "I'll get off at 6, heres my number" as he was handing me a silp of paper. I reached and took it than he realized I am a guy. By the way he had a noticeable boner!:roflmao: He was in his early 20's. He said he was sorry and I noticed he stayed close while I was out of my car. Watching me through the process tring to figure out why he felt so attracted I'll bet. He never asked for his number back or for me to throw it away. It is not a uncommon thing when I go in public to have a guy follow me around tring to figure out what it is about me he wants. I don't go to town unless I have to. I sure wish I had the change 20 years ago! I have been told by my sister that she thinks I am witch! Oh well! June

10. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    More often than I'd like to admit. :icon_redf
    Meh, it shouldn't count when it happens on a ski lift and every inch of my body is covered, so there's no way to know. My ski clothes aren't pink or purple or some obviously girly color, so apparently it stands to reason that that makes me likely to be a guy.

11. FruitFly

I'm misgendered all the time before people speak to me on the phone/meet me in person, my given name is masculine so people expect a man.

In public the closest experience to being misgendered would be an American man looking at my name tag, looking at me and then asking how long I'd been living as a woman. I didn't mind this at all, he was quite jovial about it and I could keep doing my job with a smile knowing that the lovely tourist would not be staying long, but he followed it up with "you have big hands, that confirmed it" :dead:.

No one else though... maybe they all keep their assumptions to private discussions so as not to offend me?.

12. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I love being mistaken for a boy! :grin: Fucking love it!

13. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This paragraph just fried my brain, I don't even know what a keffiyeh is!

Though this one time this guy mistaken be for a girl, but I was in the back seat of a car and I was wearing a sweater with my hood up, so you could barely see my face. I pretty much look like a guy.

Also this thread reminds me of that viral car commerical....

14. Hexagon

I never get mistaken for a girl :grin:

15. Fairylink

This happens to me about 80% of the time. Only 20% of the time do people refer to me as male. Even people my own age call me ma'am and miss. When I go to the restroom, most of the time men that come in and see me turn around walk out and look at the door or something along the lines of that. If not that, they do a double take with a stare to try to figure things out lol. The weird thing is, I wear male clothes. Almost always shorts with collared shirts with my company logo on it.

I do have long hair, other than that I don't see where they get it. Many males have long hair though. It's not uncommon to see. I have a baby face so maybe that takes part as well. Here's the weird part. Even if I don't shave for a month(my facial hair grows very slow and not in all areas) people still refer to me as a female. Last but not least even after I speak with the person(cashier, customer, ect) they STILL refer to me as female. I've never had any of my friends say I have a feminine voice or anything. I also don't try to sound female. I just talk normal.

I will also note that I'm a pretty feminine guy, however I'm in the closet to most still because I've just recently discovered myself. So I in no way show any feminine side in public(atleast on purpose). Maybe a tiny bit now as I'm learning all about the real me after my denial. This has happened before all of this though.

16. TheMightyBoosh

I have been mistaken for a guy many times, I am gothy so i dunno if that helps, i have shoulder length hair (ish) too... But i don't mind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: At this moment in time, that's what i want. I don't really try either, i have been mistaken for being a gay or bi teen boy, which came as a bit of a shock! I didn't even know the person, then they were like... "what are you then?" i was like "I am me".. :slight_smile:

17. fuzzywuzzy

I've been mistaken for a girl when I had my long hair back in the days. Old people on the street constantly told me what a beautiful girl I am...until my beard started growing :lol:.

18. Just Jess

Hasn't happened to me in over half my life :frowning2: I still remember the times when I was a teenager and this happened fondly. Hopefully that'll change soon though.

19. evora

I am a female and look like one, too but for some reason I've always been scared people would think I'm a boy. I'm still not sure why that is, especially because I know that I look like a woman.

20. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lol. l'm like the poster above.

l have an idea of myself being male that sometimes tricks me into thinking people will see me as one. The few times l really believed it and once when l thought l was going to be "caught" in the lingerie section at Sear's l really questioned myself.

Anyway, no. l'm short...l've been told l kind of move like a man but l'm generally just too small, have never had super short hair and have no masculine facial features. Clothing wise, pretty feminine.

OH, online l have been mistaken for male very often.