1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Mistaken for the Other Gender

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Have you been mistaken for the other gender? (while not deliberately trying to)

1. I'm male and have been mistaken for female

29.5%
  2. I'm female and have been mistaken for male

25.0%
  3. I'm male but have never been mistaken for female.

28.4%
  4. I'm female but have never been mistaken for male.

17.0%
  1. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am seen as a girl, mostly. Unfortunately... :frowning2:
    But I don't get what the problem is. I wear male clothes, walk like a guy, and since I've thickened my eyebrows a bit I feel like my face has become a hell lot more masculine (it's not a generic beautiful 'girly' face, but too round to be a guy. I would say my face/body are almost androgynous or something...).
    But frankly enough I mostly just don't know whether I pass or not, because I'm too insecure about my looks to test the men's room (each time when I have to go to a public toilet, I stand there, looking, thinking "Shall I do it? Shall I do it?" and eventually chicken out >_<) or anything like that. And asking a random person "heya, what gender am I?!?" is kinda... awkward, weird and embarrassing (not even speaking of my voice giving me away). Frankly I just DO NOT KNOW whether I pass or not! One moment I look in the mirror or a window and think "Hah! Perfectly passable!" *smile* while another moment I'm convinced NO ONE will ever 'fall for it' DX
    Maybe passing a couple of times would give me some confidence, but even then my mom is probably near to jump in and murder the person who called me a boy while loudly shouting "SHE'S A GIRL! YOU HEAR!!! A GIRL!!!" (ahem, exaggerating is an art :3 hehe)

2. Sayu

People often mistake me for a boy, but it doesn't really bother me. My classmates actually call me a boy like daily, but it's not a bullying, they know I find it funny and somehow satisfying :grin:

3. DoriaN

Mmm, my voice is what gives me away, other than that people assume I'm female.

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l creeped your profile and looked at your pics.

l have to say you don't look female, but with the longer hair, you look androgynous enough that a stranger who was afraid of offending you might you actually be a woman, might choose to use female pronouns if you also wore clothing that could be perceived as female or just not overtly masculine:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway you're a good looking dude lol.

#24 OMGWTFBBQ, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yeah, but that was why I was more surprised this time, during my experience with the bathroom in Russia, I had long shoulder-length hair, and hair seems to usually be the first indicator people use when gauging gender... but this time my hair wasn't that long, I know some girls have short hair like mine, but it's still more of a boyish look.

But I would think it would be safer for someone to err on the side of male, a woman might be offended at being called a man, but if you call the wrong man a "woman", you're liable to get punched in the face by his insecurities. :eek:

Interesting how some people here seem to like being taken for another gender, while others don't...I'm not sure how I feel about it either. On the one hand, it can be embarrassing and present a practical problem when you try to go the bathroom and get stopped because someone thought you were a girl (or a boy if you're a girl). On the other hand I do like the whole idea of being 'gender-bending' and not being boxed in trying to conform to antiquated ideas of what it means to be "male" or "female".

I guess I have similar mixed feelings with regard to age...besides being mistaken for a girl, I often get mistaken for being a young teenager. While on the one hand I find it flattering to be associated with youthfulness, it also has presented embarrassing practical problems, like the time in Moscow where I was the only one in our group who wasn't being allowed to buy wine because she didn't believe I was over 18 and none of us had Russian IDs or anything. But I guess that's a subject for another thread at another time.

Though the sum of all this is that judging people based on appearances is in many ways a fundamentally flawed approach to social interaction, and will often cause you to draw incorrect conclusions.

6. TraceElement

I've been called "he" a few times. I am girl but generally tomboyish. I don't mind, and smile and chuckle to myself.

7. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Throughout my life, I've been mistaken for a boy because I've always been a big tomboy. It's more embarrassing than anything else...though sometimes it's also humiliating depending on the situation.

As a young girl (before my facial features really developed), I looked more like a boy than I do now. I always dressed in boys' clothing, with baggy sweaters and pants, and had short hair. It was more understandable that I was mistaken for a boy back then, but in the recent years, I'm surprised when I still sometimes get misgendered. Now, I think my facial features have developed more, and I look more feminine. I still dress like a tomboy though with plain v-neck tees or a simple black jacket and jeans. I still have short hair as well, but I don't think I look like a guy though haha. Here are some of my experiences being mistaken for a guy:

1. I was out with my family, and we ran into my father's physician. They said hi to each other, the doctor turned to me and said, "Is this your son?" :icon_redf God, that was so embarrassing. I hate it when it happens in front of my family. I feel embarrassed for them.

2. Junior high. We had a substitute teacher for over a month because our regular teacher was out really sick. The sub knew me by name (and I have a very exclusively female name) and was really nice to me because I was one of the only well-behaved students. Then weeks after she'd been my teacher, she referred to me in front of the whole class as a guy. She kept calling me a "he" and "him," and when I told her I'm a girl (and even some of my classmates had to chime in and say that yes, I'm a girl), she didn't believe me and went to check the roster to find the "F" next to my name! This was probably the worst experience. :icon_redf::confused::dry:

3. I took some clothes to the fitting room at Target. The lady who checked me in asked me, "You're a girl, right?" before letting me in the women's fitting room.

4. As a kid, I went to a gym/fitness club with my parents. Everytime I walk into the women's changing room, I get stared at and people confront my mom about bringing a boy into the women's locker room. After a couple experiences like that, I refused to ever go back and used the family changing room instead because that one is unisex.

5. In 6th grade, I went to a co-ed basketball camp with my female friend. A couple guys at the camp asked me if my friend was my girlfriend. When I told them no and that I'm a girl, they didn't believe me for a while.

I have tons more stories like this, but those are the ones that stick out. It sucks when it happens!

8. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

No...I think I look too girly...especially with my long hair.

I've used a guy voice on the phone though :slight_smile: and they actually bought it.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My younger brother used to get misgendered all the time before he entered puberty. Now, he's got a beard at 15, and no one doubts that he's male.

But I suspect prepubertal kids are more easily misgendered. I find a lot of them hard to tell myself, and a research study has proven that most people can't tell a baby's gender without undressing them. (They got the same 3 month old, dressed in pink or blue, and presented him/her as a girl or boy, and looked at the participants' reactions to the baby. They tended to call the girl baby 'beautiful' and the boy baby 'strong'.)

10. Bolin

Not in person, just over the phone.

11. CrowAleron

CrowAleron Guest

When I was a kid (say 3rd to 7th grade) before *I* even knew I was les, I was way more tomboyish...and plump :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I got mistaken for a guy *all* the time. I realized I liked girls and could never pull of the butch look, so I lost weight, started wearing more feminine clothing, payed more attention to my hair, etc. Now I'm obviously a chick, pretty femme, and way more comfortable :grin:

12. redstormrising

I've never been mistaken for male in my life. Good thing I'm not trans, because I would never pass.

13. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nope, I've never been mistaken for a female.

14. My friends sometimes say I have a somewhat feminine face and that I would look great as a girl.

15. vani

vani Guest

- answering phone -
    me: hello?
    Person: yes mam we wou-
    *hangs up*

16. Convoy

I've been mistaken for a female once or twice, it's kind of awkward since looking head on I'm pretty distinct however from the back my longer hair and clothing choice can make it questionable under some circumstances.

I don't really care since I'm secure enough with my GAY orientation; If someone really wants to hit on me I'll let em.

17. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I used to get mistaken for being a boy a lot as a kid. I was a big tomboy as a kid and then during high school I became a little more girly, trying to fit in with my friends and the other kids. A couple years ago I cut off all my hair and now I wear it pretty short and sometimes at work I get mistaken for being a guy, my hair is practically all shaved right now. Most of the time people can tell I'm a girl, but the odd time people will think I'm a guy, it doesn't embarrass me but it does bother me.

Women can wear men's clothing and have short hair too!

18. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was younger (13-14) I had long hair and I was mistaken for a female on more than one occasion.

19. Punk Cowgirl

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get called "sir" and "young man" all the time. I love it. :grin:. At least I like it better than "miss" or "young lady", since that almost always seems condescending.

When I'm working cattle, especially in winter, the cowboys always assume I'm a boy. It usually takes them until I take my hat off for them to realize that I'm actually a girl, and sometimes even then they don't know. One guy I've ridden with a lot (and he's even distantly related to me) had no idea I was a girl until he saw me all cleaned up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My brother used to get called a girl a lot, and it pissed him off so much, it was kind of funny sometimes. Now he can't figure out why I don't mind when people call me a boy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Harve

Never.

OP: you kinda look like a butch girl in some pictures (especially with longer hair), if you don't mind me saying. Cute though!