1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Wife

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by doglover44, Mar 27, 2013.

1. wrhla

wrhla Guest

How are you doing doglover? What's the situation at home? Tense? Catastrophic? Or, hopefully, improving a little.

Is your wife talking about splitting? I want to do couples' counseling with my wife, but she and her therapist think she's not quite ready for it.

Do you feel that you absolutely have to start having sex with men? Or are you okay with just knowing that you have those desires and that's part of who you are?

You did the right thing in telling her. Living a lie is not good. It's corrosive. It would eventually have destroyed your marriage. But that's probably not how she's seeing it at the moment. So it could take awhile to sort things our. I know it feels like an eternity. I came out to my wife in February, and we have talked about it a bit, but it opened a Pandora's box of unaddressed issues in our marriage. So we have all that to sort through as well.

It ain't easy.

2. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

i dont have to have sex with men

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Man, that is a tough statement. It got me thinking...

I don't have to use my right hand even though I am right handed. I do not have to eat food I enjoy, plenty of things I don't care for. I don't need to feel safe and warm. I don't have to do what comes naturally to me.

When you start extrapolating that statement it gets really tough.

4. GuestNMN

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As a wife who thinks he husband might be bi, but NOT ready to admit it to himself yet (as per my husband and my most recent conversation)....Good Job on telling her!! It may be hard on her, and you and alot to go through, but it is wayyyy better to for one get it off your chest, and two the sooner she finds out the sooner she can start to heal. I would suggest sending her to this site if she is at all open to comunication with you. I've looked at and asked questions on a couple other sites, but there seems to be to much hatred towards 'the gay' spouse....I don't want to hate him, he has always been there for me. Plus we created two beautiful children together that I wouldn't of had if it wasn't for our time together, how can I hate that!
    The second site I'd recomend is "straight spouse network" though there are some not understanding individuals to your side of the 'story' it does feel good to know there are others out there going through the same thoughts, feelings, emothions, and situations!

5. Jeff

GuestNMN, you are really mature, and an understanding wife. It is too bad that sending a wife to this site to get a better picture of reality is often not going to work out.

You are one of compassion and love. The gay or bi married husband (or wife) so often hurts and feel guilt for just being who they are if they dare admit it.

Thanks for coming in and expressing your point of view.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2013 at 11:30 AM ----------

Some men do not have do have much sex at all. I am single and able to go out with whom I want, but will often not hunt for sex.

6. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I guess I feel this is gonna sound weird but I still love her yet want to be with a guy at the same time if that makes any since ?

7. GuestNMN

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Of course you still Love her, you spent a good deal of your life together, you have had both good times and bad times together!

She is probably feeling like the whole time it was a fake or lie though, also she is probably feeling like you wasted her life away(not trying to make you feel bad, just give you a point of view) or she gave you the best years of her life. If only there was a card that told her how beautiful she is, and that any straight guy would be lucky to have her....but she's probably not ready for a card like that! I do hope your wife is finding the support she needs with others that might be in a simular situation!

Who knows maybe she'd enjoy two guys pleasing her and eachother(&&&)...okay so maybe girls like that are few and far between!

8. wrhla

wrhla Guest

Yes, it makes complete sense. I'm in the exact same place.

What's odd in my case, is that a much as I love her, we have already become somewhat estranged in many ways. Not primarily, I don't think, because of my sexuality (although that's been more of an issue than I had understood). We have both just changed in so many ways from who we once were. She has her own interests, mainly in early and baroque music and it's clear that the most important person in her life is not me but her (gay) piano teacher. They talk constantly, they spend whole days together. In some sense, I see them as lovers.

I think that the truth is that we both dread the financial consequences of a divorce or we probably would have done it awhile ago. And here's where I feel worst about everything. We have lived almost entirely on her retirement income for 5 years, while I write my book, which should come out next year. I don't want to say, hey thanks for all the help sweetheart, but I'm gay and outta here. Things are even more complicated than that, but I won't bother with them here.

9. Eric1962

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Consider seeking counseling. My company offers free sessions and I think some health insurance plans offer mental health services that could help you to assess things. Your wife may also want someone to talk to someone. Coming out of the closet when you're married is a difficult road. I'm on it right now. You need someone you can talk to and help you with your new reality. Best wishes.

10. wrhla

wrhla Guest

Just a shout to you GuestNMN. It's really great to hear from a straight spouse how he or she is dealing with it. Thanks.

11. wrhla

wrhla Guest

By the way doglover44, what sort of dog or dogs do you have. Dogs are just the best things in all of god's green earth. We have an aussie shepherd now. Before he we had another aussie and A Belgian shepherd.

12. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    another thanks for your point of view, no wonder some guys never want to be honest, they thought they were doing the right thing, society says get a job, find a girl friend get married and then find a house with a white picket fence, but it doesn't always work that way. One reason this website exists there is so many shades if grey it is never black and white.

WRHLA asks the kind of questions I would ask but always afraid to say, what kind of dogs.

13. Rainbow Music

The way I see it is if you are bi, and happily married with her, then what's the point of even telling her. You're with her, not anybody else, and plus you're not going to cheat on her. Therefore it doesn't matter if you're bi or straight. But then again when two people are in a relationship, they should not lie to eachother. She asked you if you were bi, and lied to her and told her no, only because you were afraid of what her reaction would be when you told her. I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just giving you my input.

14. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I just wanna be with a guy too

15. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I talked to her and she says she's alright if I go mess with a guy

16. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Doglover,

You did the right thing by telling your wife about having sexual feelings for men. I deceived my wife for the last 23 years and now my sense of guilt is extreme and she is feeling betrayed, not because I'm gay but because I've known for a long time and didnt tell her. I just wanted the happy family to stay together in the little red house in the suburbs. Lies just don't work for the long run at all. I also want to say that clearly you're conflicted and confused about your feelings and need to understand yourself better with this to know what you want. I managed a sex life with my wife, somehow, but mentally I was always somewhere else and with a guy. I also don't necessarily think its all about who you want to have sex with. I love my wife but was never in love with her. I love her like a really good friend. I've fallen in love with men, when I was younger, and the feeling is different. The emotional tone is not the same. I don't know if you have kids or what your circumstances are, but you will need to be honest. If you guys split up, do you take the dog? We're planning to split and I haven't broached the subject yet but Max (my dog, and best friend) is coming with me.

17. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

The past 3 days I been in a crappy attitude angry towards my wife alot and I think its because I am living in fear and stress that I am gay and am living a lie and not being honest with myself

18. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    WOW. That explains a lot. That sounds like me EXACTLY.

19. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

What do I do ?

20. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

it sucks being married and stuck in the closet !