1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. an0nchick

Dr. Kinsey said about 10% of the human world is gay.
    Of what I know, 7.236842105263158% of my FB friends are LGBT. That's pretty close to 10%. There could be at least for other FB friends that are gay to make it closer? 3 of my gay friends are in the closet still.

What do you think? I used FB because it's easiest to count. LOL! You can try, too.(!)

2. J Snow

This isn't a very good way of testing a hypothesis. Your facebook friends are going to be an extremely biased subject group seeing as you yourself are queer. This means you are far more likely to have queer friends on your list then a cis heterosexual person likely would. Also it is just far too small of a sample size to be statistically significant.

3. SkyTears

My facebook is probably bias because... Well in honesty I most likely have more gay "friends" than the average person. I must say tho I like how specific you got on your % :lol:

4. an0nchick

The only thing about is that 99% of my FB friends think I'm straight, even the gay ones. Weird, eh? I befriend everyone, then learn later that they are gay.

5. timo

A Dutch site had a poll a while back (somewhere last month) asking about sexuality. 6786 people voted, of which 432 (6,4%) said they were LGB. Another 2,1% said they believe they're straight, but sometimes question themselves.

It was an anonymous poll so I believe the results are pretty accurate. Of course less than 7000 people isn't a big response, but "10% of people is gay" seems to be rather optimistic.

6. Mogget

Kinsey's research suffered from a number of methodological flaws. We don't really have good stats at all on how many people experience significant same-sex attraction.

7. an0nchick

Really? Why do people keep quoting this dude? If he's a fraud, he needs to be reprimanded or something. Gays sites quote him like the truth, but he's really a liar? Is their truth any more?

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2012 at 01:20 PM ----------

Maybe because 10 is a round number. But, I'll check out the Dutch site. It seems more accurate.

8. Neutrality

Honestly It's impossible to know, because the only way we take meassure it is to ask and there is no way to get a good sample for this question. Most people are going to lie, it can't account for people in the closet, most of the polls don't have an option for straight but, questioning or questioning in general...and the people that answer polls are not a good representation of the general public anyways because most of the population doesn't want to take the time to answer a stupid survery.

9. Pain

Pain Guest

Going by my friends on FB, the percent who are of a sexual minority would amount to 19.93%.

10. an0nchick

That's quite high.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

I know that I'd lie if someone directly asked me in person where it's not anon, I'd like and say that I'm straight.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

He isn't a fraud in the sense that he faked his results out of malice or anything like that. Many, many studies suffer from various methodological flaws. He made pretty much the same mistake that you made, but at a bigger scale.

The reason people tend to quote the 10% statistic is that his study was the first major study on sexuality which tried to measure various things, which left a deep positive impact on our society. But, since he wasn't perfect, his studies are flawed. Some examples are that he mainly surveyed college students, only white people, many inmates, and 2 pedophiles to look at how children's sexuality, which was of course flawed.

The news studies that have come forth say a number between 3% and 6%. But like it was said already, its really hard to come up with an accurate number due to people being in the closet, the definition of what constitutes as queer and many other variables.

Also, based on my FB friends 35% of my friends are openly LGBT. Just an example of how biased a survey can be :slight_smile:

12. Bradley

According to this article, a full 5% of the Canadian population identifies as LGBT. This is an average though; 10% of 18-34 year olds identify as LGBT, and only 2-3% of older age groups do.

This seems to lend a lot more credibility to Kinsey's theory.

New poll reveals landscape of gay Canada | News | National Post

13. sguyc

There's really no accurate information about this topic yet.

14. Bradley

We will never know the absolute number of gay people, especially when culture or religion suppresses it, but statistics are as close as we will get. When one of the most gay friendly generations in one of the most gay friendly countries in the world identifies 10% as LGBT, maybe it doesn't prove Kinsey right, but at a minimum it blows the 2% theory out of the water.

#14 Bradley, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  15. Josclare

Josclare Guest

if i used the facebook theory than 55.6 percent of the country would be gay lol i wish

16. rday13

rday13 Guest

3-6% is a more reasonable estimate, yes.
    I believe the figure is 6% across the United States, but of course that doesn't account for the people in the closet as these numbers come from self-declarations.
    Additionally, countries that measure such statistics are often Western countries with increased levels of GLBT rights, so you will have some statistical bias since people from non-free countries choose to settle there.
    Oh boy, if we went by my fb, it would be around 17%...not a terribly good estimate since I tended to make friends more readily within the queer community at college (we went to the same events, it wasn't hard).

17. Bradley

I really disagree with this. The number of people who move to Canada because they are gay would not be statistically significant in a nation-wide survey, unless the survey were done entirely in Vancouver and Toronto.

18. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think he might mean more like people moving to Africa to the US because if they came out in their home country they would get beaten up and thrown in jail for twenty years. Still probably statistically insignificant number of people, but a more severe situation than some person from Missouri choosing to Canada to get married.

19. Bradley

That is exactly what he means, and I don't believe that the number of people like that would cause a statistical bias in a nationwide survey like the one mentioned. They would probably only make a difference in the statistics if the survey were done of the LGBT community within a major urban center, not a nationwide poll of all people.

20. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Here in Norway it's more like 1 %. The biggest gay website in Norway has about 1 % of the population, and I think that's fairly accurate. I'm from the second biggest city in Norway.. and there's not even enough gays there for a gay bar. That's how sad the gay scene is in Norway. I hate it here :frowning2: