1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to a different country

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Closet88, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting a work visa in the US is difficult, very time consuming (years, typically), and expensive unless you fall in a very small category of people with highly sought after skill sets and extensive education, and you have a job waiting for you.

Canada is a lot more welcoming toward immigrants, but as I understand it, you need to be able to demonstrate either advanced education or specialized skills that are in demand in order to secure a work visa there.

Can't speak for the other countries.

But nothing's impossible, so if you are really set on it, do all the research you can, maybe save up some money and take a vacation first through several different places and see what you like... and then make plans from there :slight_smile:

2. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:. It is my dream to live in the US but I know from other people I've spoken to how difficult it is to actually get in and get a visa! Fingers crossed I'll be able to do it one day!

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2012 at 06:22 PM ----------

Hi Chip,

I have a bachelors degree in history and work experience in HR, admin and recruitment however I doubt I'd fall into the highly sought after category :frowning2:. I may look into Canada as it does seem easier to actually get in. My first priority is definitely to save as much money as I can though :slight_smile:

3. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You can move as freely to a country in the EU as you can to another city in the UK. Of course there is the language barrier, but in places like the Netherlands, Belgium and Scandinavia most people speak at least adequate English. And in all the major cities in Spain, Italy, France and Germany, a healthy percentage of the people speak English.

This is true for countries in the EU (plus Switzerland), but many places in Eastern Europe, excluding the capitals, have little to no English speakers. I doubt you'd want to now to Eastern Europe though, lots of it isn't very pleasant.

4. try a little move first?
    and have you ever moved in your life, if this is your first move then... thats a BIG thing.
    i mean a diff country is a BIG move

at 16 i up and left everything i had in england for scotland, it was hard but i did it because i felt i needed change. it didnt go so well, but now im stuck here until i move again for college haha.

i here sweden is mad expensive. not that you want to go but ya.
    try move elsewhere in the uk first? i know it might seem pointless but so you can get a feel for it. also a diff country is hard to be away from family/friends if anything goes wrong. in the us you have to pay health care, over in the uk its free (if its nhs obv).... that would be my biggest doubt about moving to the us and thats what i actually thinking about it take for granted.

you also like someone else said you have to have a visa (to work anywhere else other than the country you are currently in.... i assume, not just us), im pretty sure at least a few arent given a visa for some reason or another, thats a thing to look into.

if you dont have much money now, moving isnt the best idea until you have a comfortable amount, not loads by all means just enough to provide for emergencys e.t.c.

you need to think it through really well and plan things really well, you cant just be like 'yup im moving bye' and leave your life behind. things could go wrong. yes take chances but a diff country is an awful big move.

if you can, i would spend as much time as you can in the place you want to move for a few months just to be sure you like it, because you could build it up to be something it really wasnt in your head. in your head it could be amazing, but reality could be different.

5. bman1988

bman1988 Guest

As a current resendent of the USA I would advise as a previous poster said to wait at least a year. I live in Idaho a very conservative state and people lately have been a little weird with politics. If you have any interest at all you might be able to get a studen visa and take a couple of courses I worked with a German who did this relatively easy and he was able to work while on it. I recommended Portland Oregon its a very open minded state and city and fairly inexpensive if your willing to live outside the.city a little bit also the Eugene area is also good and only two hours away frome Portland.

6. Onyxknight

Very good point. I'm originally from Oklahoma, and when I decided to get married, my dad tried really hard to talk me out of it, saying I won't like it, it won't be what I think it will be, that kind of thing. I blew it off as just concerned dad talk. As usual, he was right.

Before I came to Maryland, I was excited about seeing a new part of the country. I figured I'd never have another chance to do something like this again. Driving up here was all amazement, I'd never seen such scenery. Then, I got my first taste of the state. Two hours from our destination, we totaled my car, and it's been pretty rocky living since. It doesn't help that cost of living is ridiculous here, and so is housing. (BTW, if you do come to the US, I'd live ANYWHERE but near the DC/Baltimore area, lol. Great for visiting, though.) I got a rude shock once I finally settled in and all the new wore off. That's part of why we're moving now. Rural to suburban was not a fun change. I didn't even like driving in OKC before I came here, and now I'm surrounded by people. Ugh.

My point is, definitely think a lot about where you wanna go. Take into consideration the population level(? I don't know how to put it) you prefer. Would you like to be in the country with no one to bother you, or do you love the city and all it brings? Or maybe you'd prefer somewhere in between. Just really think about what you'd like. Make a list, even, of what you're looking for. I'm sure that will help tons. :thumbsup:

7. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey thanks for your advice :slight_smile:. I've been considering moving to a different city in the UK but will then think "is there any point if I wanna move abroad eventually?" I may be doing this in the near future though, so as you said it might be a good chance to see how I cope living somewhere different. I'm still hoping for a lottery win before the end of the year so I don't have to worry about money... Surely that's not too much to ask for :slight_smile:.

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2012 at 11:14 PM ----------

Hey, the student thing is something I haven't really thought about. And don't know much about Oregon. My favourite choice for a random state to live in is Wisconsin, don't know if you know much about that state?

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2012 at 11:19 PM ----------

You must have read my mind, I've actually been writing a list today! And I think I'm definitely a city boy, although I like a bit of culture I like somewhere lively with a good nightlife! I would love to visit the rural states in the USA but I don't think I could live somewhere rural, it would drive me crazy living in the middle of nowhere.

8. Yougoglencoco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also want to move away from the shirt UK, my dream is to move to NYC :grin: and I'm determined to make it happen!
    As for the visa's, there are quite a few types that I've read, I can remember there's one in which a company backs your visa application, there's also one in which a direct family member such as a sister or parent already living in the US can back your application. There are obviously the normal visa's too, but I cant remember much about them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway goodluck with your search for a new country and keep us posted :slight_smile:

9. sunnii

I do not want to discourage you in any way but (beraring in mind im only 20 and am very naive) I was obsessed with moving to either America (particularly Florida or California) or Australia but have gave up (but mainly because i realised i am a home bird (but never say never)) partly because those particular countries (Canada was my plan C) were very difficult to move to. I kept getting told it was easier to move to an EU nation but I never had the passion for countries like Spain, France, Italy or Portugal like I did for US/Australia/Canada.

But seriously I hope you get what you want and if you get ity would you mind telling me how? lol Xx

10. Gen

Gen

Well nom I wouldnt suppose we(US) are going down that fast lol.

Honestly I would say that any of your original choices are good decisions. Even the US is not even a fraction of as bad as most people chalk it up to be. Honestly, the middle/lower class of America has no right to complain as much as they do considering the state of many other areas in the world. I have traveled to much of the continents of the world and I will be the first to admit that we are like that spoiled kid.

Anyway, an above poster had the absolute best idea. None of the countries you chose, nor staying in your country, are a bad idea. So it isnt the best idea to decide where to live solely based off what others say. Pick where you would want to live in America(Though California is the best :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and go on a trip there. Go to Canada. Go to Australia. Dont just pick the place that would be easiest to get into. Pick the place that will make you the most happy. If living in America really is your dream than thats where you should go. I'm not positive on immigration processes, however, I dont believe it is as bad if you have a clean record, education, etc.

11. mischa91

After i finished uni in the UK i moved to the USA. Granted my family had a family visa which included me and my brother if we wanted it, my dads company moved him out to Ohio from Newcastle in my first year of uni and they payed for the visas and the moving expenses. All i can say is getting a US visa is incredibly difficult unless you are in the medical profession, it was hard before 9/11, it's just gotten harder since then.

I have an irish friend who went to stay in NZ for a year with another friend, she found a job there and has just been approved for a permanent visa. It does happen, just try and keep your options open.

12. starfish

That's for sure. I've been to British Columbia and Alberta. Plenty of open spaces.

Where abouts in Alberta are you? I've been to Banff, Calgary, and Edmonton.

I really liked Edmonton but did not have much time there. Next year I am thinking of trying to spend a week in Edmonton and Fort McMurray.

Heck if it wasn't for the NHL lockout I'd fly up to catch an Oilers game.

13. Zontar

This is actually a great topic to discuss. If a draft broke out and I had to get out in a jiff, what country would be the easiest to move to? I'm college-educated and would have the money, I just don't know if that translates to easier emigration...

14. Onyxknight

I know this is off topic, but I agree, lol. My husband says even our lower class is richer than a lot of countries. We are definitely spoiled.

15. Gen

Gen

It certainly is. Though I dont want people to think this is us gloating about it, because the American ideal and 'hungar for more' is a large aspect of our struggles. There will always be debt and poverty in the world because average living conditions only continue to rise. :/

16. Onyxknight

Oh no, didn't mean that at all. :eusa_doh:

17. Gen

Gen

Oh no, I wasnt thinking that you were I just didnt want anyone to think that we were. :eusa_doh:. Lol

18. Onyxknight

Oh, OK, lol. Still, sorry for getting off-topic. :icon_redf

19. boy0boy

US! It's funny because I want to move to the UK - let's do a switcharoo and film it all, it would be great

20. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If only it was that easy haha. "Hi Barack, this guy wants to move to the UK and I will take his place in the US. Deal?"