1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would u rather be bisexual then gay/lesbian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swapnil, Aug 29, 2012.

1. GingerGuy

Well, there are some disadvantages of being bissexual, specially if you are mistaken for gay because you like guys as well, while your inclinations towards women are ignored. I have some attraction towards women, but the vast majority goes to men. Does that make me bissexual? Like its said, we are all bissexual to some degree. I think I would be Kinsey 4 or 5.

In a world that still divides people between gay and straight, being bi is complicated. In a world were people did not care about other's sexual orientation that much, and we were not "classified" for it, then it would be great to be bi. More chances of getting a date.

2. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't help but think that if someone perceives it as 'greediness', they're admitting there was an aspect of choice in their decision to identify as gay/straight. I can't help but be suspicious that they're consciously ignoring some of their own attractions because of their values.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, those are catatonically stupid values.

4. Lad123

I disagree. Not everyone has some form of bisexuality. There are people who classify themselves as 100% gay including me and there are others on EC who do too.

I'm not sure if I would want to be bisexual. It just seems really confusing with some of the stories I have read about how people favour guys one day and then completely switch to girls another day. That would be annoying.

5. BudderMC

^ seconded. If I'm bisexual, it has yet to show in my nearly 21 years of living. I've never been sexually attracted to a girl; on the contrary, I'm rather sexually repulsed by them (sorry ladies).

6. King

King Guest

I'm exceptionally tired of seeing people writing this. It's not true, not everyone is any shade of bisexual. I'm gay, not bi, as are countless others.

As for the question at hand, no, because of my own hesitance about bisexuality. I'm fine being gay.

7. quietvictory

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's a hard question to answer, because I feel like both paths (gay or bi) have their own learning experiences, and in the end they are equal either in learning and growth or in 'ease'. Uhhh.. Sooo.. I'm going to think on that one!

I'm a lesbian, and it would be a lot easier to find somebody if I was bi! It would look like such a world of possibilities. But at the same time, being a lesbian who does not know any other lesbians is going to force me to break out of my introverted shell and meet people, and that's a great learning experience, I wouldn't want to give that up. So I think I'll stay gay, thanks for the imaginary offer though ;P

8. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I'd rather just stay the way I am, i.e. not straight. I'm fine with liking girls rather than guys, as no guy has really ever interested me enough like a girl has and still does.

That doesn't mean I'm not completely opposed to dating a guy, since I've never really dated a guy before nor do I know if there is that special guy for me out there. Kinda doubt it though.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally second this. I file this under "shit I wish other bis would stop saying."

10. quietvictory

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Totttallllyyyy

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    third

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Not really...I go back and forth deciding whether I am gay or bisexual and part of that is I think I really would rather be gay than bi at this point.

I do wish we would not put people into such rigid boxes based on orientation though. If two people are attracted to each other, that is all that is important, it shouldn't matter what artificial label they each use to describe themselves. I think there are plenty of people on the bisexual spectrum who nevertheless choose to identify as gay or straight; it's an individual's choice to make.

13. I agree. I'm sick of people pushing this ideal on others. Just because you're attracted to both sexes doesn't mean everyone else is or can be; you're not inside their head, so who are you to tell them what they're thinking?

As for the question, I'm pansexual and perfectly happy with my orientation. I wouldn't change it.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Indeed. I would not want to change who I am, thought being bi/pansexual can be quite anoying due to peoples (straight and LGT) ignorance. You just have to keep remembering that they're not in your position and might need some info.

15. BNQ2012

I don't really identify with the term bisexual for a couple of reasons but I think that is how most outsiders would see my sexuality. I think it's certainly different from being gay/lesbian but I don't think it's better. The whole thing is comparing apples and oranges really.

Personally, I think that being bi carries the unique challenge of being feared, nullified, misunderstood, and sometimes hated by people on both sides of the sexuality spectrum. Frankly, I am just as nervous about coming out to some of the monosexual gays and lesbians in my circles as I am the straights. :eek:

16. Seagypsy

There are also lots of different types of Bisexuality which makes it a rather ambiguous label. My idea of bisexual may be different from someone else's, although this could also be said about my idea of straight...!!

17. Pancake

I may be against the crowd here, but yes I would rather be bi. I honestly think it would make things easier for me rather than harder. Currently, since I'm not out, being gay can be quite awkward at times. Being bisexual would relieve some of the awkwardness when talking about certain subjects (ie girls).

18. BNQ2012

This is absolutely true. One reason I had a lot of trouble seeing myself in the term bisexual was because I had certain ideas about what bi was and was not. One example of a misconception I held was that in order to be bi, you had to be roughly equal in your attraction to men and women. Now I understand that bisexuality represents a lot of different patterns of behavior and attraction. It's still not quite what I identify with but I no longer get upset if someone applies the term to me.

19. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some days I wish i could be bi just so I could hook up with someone. I know if i were into girls i could get a girl. I hate to sound cocky in anyway but you know for the easiness of it.

20. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I wouldn't be bi even if I could because I feel like being a lesbian is just part of me now. I don't know, I know people usually say it shouldn't define a person, but to me, it almost really does. I know that I wouldn't want to, nor could be bi. And, I agree with everyone else though, it really wouldn't be any easier to be bi than it would to be gay/lesbian. Bisexual people always have this stereotypes labeled upon them that are quite absurd. People say that if a bisexual person is dating a guy, they'll probably cheat on the guy for a girl because they can't settle for one. Or that bisexual people can't decide. Or that bisexual people are just confused on which side to choose. I've heard a lot of absurd assumptions about bisexual people just as much as I've heard absurd assumptions about gay/lesbian people. So, no, I wouldn't rather be bisexual because I like how I am, and, no, it wouldn't be easier because there's just too many ignorant people in the world that make false assumptions.