1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chic-fil-a are not only ignorant bigots, they're also lying sacks of shit

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Jul 24, 2012.

1. justchris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know it may be a little off-topic, but I found two things while carousing Chic-fil-A's FB page:

First of all, more than 3/4ths of the thanks were for standing up for Christian values and not because of their right to free speech/freedom of religion. I mean, I may not like what the company believes in, but I sure as hell respect their decision to stick to their guns/beliefs because they have the freedom. It's just shocking to me that more people cared about their ridiculous stance on marriage and not their arguable right to freedoms of speech, religion, etc.

Secondly; the following was posted by someone on FB today:
    "Hi! A friend of mine shared a post about your restaurant on 71st st in Tulsa. There are some girls with signs protesting outside there today and it's 110 degrees out there. Your employees have been taking them drinks all day. I think those employees should be commended and rewarded for their kindness, even in the face of hatred. Y'all are awesome!!"

Wait...what? The employees should be rewarded for doing what is right by human standards because they were facing hatred? Um yeah...explain to me again why it's ok for them to hate against us but when we argue it becomes "OMG THE GAYS ARE REVOLTING".

2. J Snow

Supporters line up at Chick-fil-A | Local News - KCCI Home

Just saw this article linked on facebook. This is literally the only Chic-Fil-A I know of in the Des Moines area and I'm so mad right now. I have refused to buy their food and then 1500 people line up in SUPPORT of them. I think I literally just lost all of my faith in humanity. Its gone.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's the same way here in Ohio. I feel your pain...

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the other hand... you're in Iowa and Ohio, not exactly a hotbed of the most independent, intelligent thinkers in the country. (Present company excluded, of course!) :slight_smile:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... there are some places in Ohio that are ok, but not many. The only Chick-Fil-A near me is in Columbus, which is a 30 min. drive. If there was one in my town, I bet it would be busy too..

6. Mohawke13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sadly, those long lines were found all over the place, according to the news....it really pissed me off. I even drove by a Chick-Fil-A in South Florida today and found it completely packed, with supporters carrying signs in front of it and everything...it's really disheartening..

But on the other hand, I came to a realization and heard a story on the radio that made me feel better:

I realized that there are tons of gay-supportive groups like Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon just to name a few. So while these Chick-Fil-A supporters may be spending a couple dollars to boycott gay marriage, they probably spend TONS more money on companies that help LGBT issues.

And though I don't exactly condone what happened, this story did make me feel happy there was some protesting going on: one guy apparently lined up at Chick-Fil-A's drive-thru, made a whole bunch of specific orders, then when he arrived at the window, claimed that he had forgotten his wallet. It's slightly counter-productive, since I think it's not necessarily the employees of CFA that should be punished, but that was a small blow to their profits and seemed like a funny story to me.

7. Aeon Magus

8. Night Rain

Somehow every single person that supports Chick-fil-A says they do so because they support the First Amendment rights!? Are they deluded or what? And they refuse to listen to very clear explanations why no one's free speech has been violated. It's hopeless.

And there's a huge battle between the two sides on HP if anyone's interested:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ontroversy-employees-speak-out_n_1729968.html

9. Aeon Magus

10. Night Rain

They spin the whole thing on the mayors now and validate their bigotry as support for freedom of speech. :wink:

11. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The local Chick-Fil-A in Mobile was so crowded with customers today that it affected the road traffic within a huge radius of the restaurant. I saw it when I went to the gym and it really pissed me off. No more Chick-Fil-A for me.

12. Emberstone

I am glad to live in a part of the country where this bullshit, and the people who peddle it, find their ignorance falls on deaf ears. No shit-fil-a's in my state that I am aware of.

13. silkfrog1292

I'm actually quite jealous that something this could happen in the states. A nation willing to tear itself apart for or against a CEOs words on gay marriage suggest that your nation has progressed to the point that Lgbt rights are very much a part of mainstream culture and can be openly debated/fought about. Where I live, something like this would never happen. Not because there's a lot of acceptance, but the fact that it's simply not talked about and not at all understood :frowning2: :frowning2:

14. mranvil

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The part that rubs me the wrong way is the way these folks that are "supporting" CFA seem to be enjoying communing over rubbing it in the LGBT community's face. This isn't about free speech, it's about slapping those evil gay lovers and it's pissing me off so much. :bang:

I won't buy there. I have lots of friends who won't.

I like it that way.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. SkyDiver

Gay Marriage Supporter Harasses Chick-fil-A employee | MRCTV

What do you guys think about this?

The people commenting seem to think the man was extremely hateful... they obviously are oblivious to what some anti-gays say. He wasn't disrespectful in the slightest.

But the woman behind the counter was also extremely professional and sweet. It makes me sad thinking about how many genuinely good people are involved with this.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That such responses should be reserved for people you know to be hateful, anti-gay activists. I don't know if I'd go so far as calling him hateful, but it was definitely extremely disrespectful - you can boycott a restaurant without being a douchebag...

18. Hate it. That guy does realize not ALL employee's there are hateful right? That poor woman was just doing her job and being VERY respectful and professional, then this guy comes along and says "I don't know how you live with yourself." It is not that woman's fault that the Chic-Fil-A CEO is an asshole. She's just doing her job, she doesn't need jerks coming up to her with this faux activism crap that accomplishes NOTHING except making the GLBTQ community and it's supporters look bad.

That was brilliant! Channeling Walter Sobchack there speaking of Walter gotta say Chic-Fil-A ARE OUT OF THEIR ELEMENT! (Yeah no one will get that.)

#78 BuzzFledderjohn, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  19. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Let's keep Chick-Fil-A's "record setting sales" in perspective. McDonald's, a very LGBT friendly company, probably sells more chicken a day than Chick-Fil-A could buy in a week. And, Amtrak, a company that has donated millions of dollars to republican candidates, has just started a LGBT advertising campaign called "Ride With Pride." It isn't all depressing news. ^_^

20. IrisM

On the bright side, this is one day. Even if they have one good day, that's all it is. The fact remains that more people will become aware, or be made aware. They have already driven off a good 50% of their customers, which will hamper profitability severely. It will only be downhill from here for them. Stay strong, there's light at the end of the tunnel. All we need to do is keep Mitt Romney out of the Whitehouse and we should hopefully see nationwide marriage equality soon. LGBT rights are a large part of this election's democrat platform. And considering Mitt isn't smart enough not to insult the British Olympics in England, talked about m16 meetings he's not supposed to, and then on top of that scheduling a 50k per plate funding dinner in Israel on a Jewish fasting day, I think Obama is a shoe in.