LGBT Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dauntless, May 10, 2012.

1. couragetobeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, I admit I only made it through 5 pages... and ended up getting too many books on Amazon, but not totally what I was looking for. Anybody have some recommendations for gay/lesbian humor? (Preferably lesbian?) I ordered Alison Bechdel's "Essential Dykes to Look Out For", and Ellen's latest book ('are you kidding me', or something to that effect). I recently picked up a silly but funny book at Half Price Books that really helped my depression (I'm in the very early stages of coming out, and just going through a shitload of emotions as a result)- it was called "The Quotable Queer" by Minnie van Pileup (which I believe is a pseudonym). I sat in my bubble bath for a good 25 minutes giggling, which was great after going through another suicidal 'episode'/state of mind. It really lifted my spirits. So that's the kind of book I'm looking for, but Amazon has no suggestions for me. I did want something with more lesbian humor or lesbian contributors, as this book seems to be about 75% quotes from the 5 guys from "Queer Eye". Suggestions?

2. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I loved reading and re-reading that book. Today, actually, I had to return it because it was almost over a month overdue. :redface:

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2014 at 11:13 PM ----------

the mortal instruments series is and was my 6th and 7th grade life, just saying.

3. barcelonabound

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We the Animals by Justin Torres. Such a beautifully written book. Very short read.

[​IMG]

4. afroblackbi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Anybody read " Violence begets " by P T Denys. My first LGBT book

5. w1e2e9s5a9L6ou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Good/favorite GBLT books?

You should post some in your blog when you're done some! I'd love to read it.
    If you do want to read any in the meantime, here are somethat I enjoy:

-Tipping The Velvet - Sarah Waters
    -Keeping You A Secret - Julie Anne Peters
    -Kissing Kate - ??
    -Annie on My Mind - Nancy Garden
    -Empress of the World - Sara Ryan
    -Rainbow Road - ??
    -Define Normal - Julie Anne Peters.

Enjoy your writing, and maybe reading! :icon_bigg

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favorite gay-themed book--actually my favorite book--is Dancer from the Dance by Andrew Holleran. It may well work better for older members of the board. I'm in my forties and was always kind of wistful for the generation before mine--I had my hedonistic years but after the pall of AIDS and always felt a sort of nostalgia for the generation before mine despite never having actually experienced that time. The book is an elegy to a gay Manhattan that doesn't exist any more and which I missed by about 15 years--yet it so amazingly evokes all those feeling of being young and a little desperately in love with the idea of being in love. It's the type of beautifully written book that makes you stop every few paragraphs to think about a turn of phrase or to remember something from your own story. Highly recommended.

Another great one is Borrowed Time: An AIDS Memoir by Paul Monette who won the National Book Award for Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story. It is about the final years of the author's partner's life as he succumbed to AIDS. Paul Monette is also a poet--Elegies for Roger will break your heart--and it shows in every page. It's crushingly sad but beautiful and inspiring as well. One of my sisters--the one who is probably the least accepting in my Mormon family--saw the book on my bedside table while I was visiting my parents and read a few pages while she was waiting for me. She was so impressed that she found the book in the library and read it. She told me she cried through the whole thing. Partly, of course, because you know Roger dies in the end, but mainly because she didn't think she'd ever known anyone who had loved anyone the way these two men loved each other. It's an amazing book.

7. Manika

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey guys, girls :slight_smile:

Im new to this forum, but I am also looking for some good lgbt books to read. Thanks for the recommendations! I thought I'd share a new one that I just read. I think it's only a few months old? Anyways, absolutely loved it!

Bow To Me by G.C. Julien.

It's a lesbian romance, but it touches on so much more. Super easy to read, very intense and passionate. I finished it in a day!

I got my copy shipped through online but it's also on Kobo. I haven't found it in store yet.

Thanks again for all of the sharing ! I'm now heading out to the bookstore :slight_smile:

8. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Good/favorite GBLT books?

That is so cool!!! What's it about?!?! Have you thought of a title?!?! I tried writing stories and such, but they never seem to come out that good :frowning2:

9. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't know if japanese manga counts or not but Hourou Musuko (called Wandering Son in english) by takako shimura is a nice story about trans kids in japan
    Pretty much everything else I like has been mentioned before. Will grayson, will grayson is good too

10. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just have to add my favourite, (and the one that makes me cry just looking at the cover) Tim Conigrave's "Holding the man."
    And on a much lighter note David Larochelle's "Absolutely,positively, not Gay"

11. Closetlesbian99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if it was already mentioned here, but Everyday by David Leviathan. It's about a person who wakes up in a new body every day, and a lot of those people are LGBT.

12. PinkCammelia90

I've just checked this out on Amazon and it looks really good. I'm gonna see if I can find it secondhand somewhere.

Also, it probably goes without saying, but Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City is definitely worth reading. Easy, soap-opera-feel, read - features a few different LGBTQ characters but isn't an LGBTQ novel, if you catch my drift?

Also Malinda Lo's Ash was a lovely little read :slight_smile: I've got Rat Bohemia (Sarah Schulman) and The Gilda Stories (Jewelle Gomez) sitting on my shelf right now too.

13. MycroftTARDIS

I read a non-fiction book called 'Beyond Magenta', which is short stories about several trans teens. Pretty good, and is what introduced me for real to the LGBTQ world. :icon_bigg

14. xBBxSebastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never read a single LGBT book in my life which makes me feel terrible cuz I never thought there really were any :/ thank all of you for the recommendations!! I think the only one I read that I saw was the mortal instruments but I never finished it.

15. vanessaDgnev

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From Larking Rose the pleasure planer and I dare you, authors karin kallmaker, Radclyffe, Shamim Sarif i can't think straigth both the movie and the book.!!!

16. Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters and Everything Leads to You by Nina Lacour are two good recent lesbian novels!! I'm loving them so far :slight_smile:

17. shehas

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Loving this thread. Could talk books all day. I've read so many listed here and planning to hunt down some of the others.
    Also fantastic is "if you could be mine" by sara farizan, lesbian teen love story set in Iran. Learned a lot about middle eastern culture as well. And "ask the passengers" a more modern day coming out story that deals with the emotional struggle and sexual pressure. Anything by David levithan, especially "everyday" I love how it focuses on gender identity as well as sexuality. Kim Baldwin for a good lesbian romance and Alaskan adventure

18. EvoDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Uhhhh...... Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green! :thumbsup:

19. Samantha2014

I've just finished reading

After shadow by Kim Pritekel (Lesbian mystery/romance)
    The Gravity between us by Kristen Zimmer (Lesbian coming out/romance)
    After Mrs Hamilton by Clare Ashton (Lesbian romance)
    Dildo in the Kitchen draw by Clare Ashton (Short lesbian comedy)
    That Certain Something by Clare Ashton (Lesbian romance)
    When women were warriors books 1-3 by Catherin M Wilson(Lesbian science fiction/fantasy romance)
    The only Way by Jamie Sulliy (Lesbian coming out/romance)

I absolutely loved the characters and storyline in Clare Ashtons books and Catherine M Wilsons, shame I've run out!

20. Toast8971

The You Know Who Girls: Freshmen Year by Annameekee Hesik