1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dauntless, May 10, 2012.

1. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Re: Good/favorite GBLT books?

Rainbow boys by Alex sanchez, also rainbow high, and rainbow road

2. ems

ems

ems, the Hollows series (which I mentioned above) by Kim Harrison is urban fantasy with a strong bi undercurrent theme between Rachel and Ivy. It's beautiful, but heartbreaking, too. Nine or ten books out in the series now, and still going. But it's not looking promising for the pair, unfortunately. But I suppose there's always hope. If you decide to read the series, and want some closure, I have a few fanfiction favs I can recommend if you want. Just message me. Black Blade Blues is also fantasy, and The Dark Wife is a greek myth rewrite, which sorta counts as fantasy. :wink: Definitely read Dark Wife.

I'd also like some other fantasy L/B recommendations if anyone has them. No offense, but I read Midnight Hunt by LL Rand...and sorry, but I really disliked it. It was just...sex on steroids without any romantic love, in my opinion. But that's my take on it.[/QUOTE]

3. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The book that I am reading is not necessarily a LGBT book. however, I am late coming out and I talked with a LGBT pastor who recommended The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. This book would be classified in the New Age genre.

The book is about primarily writing and rewriting your Moral Law Book. Ruiz states that family, parents, siblings, parents and others have written your book for you. When you are experiencing something new or confusing, you will compare that to your book of Moral Law. If it is not in the book of Moral Law you feel confused, frustrated, depressed. For example, Ruiz does not use this example in the book, this is mine and probably a lot of yours as well. I was raised in a mainline protestant denomination with the teachings that homosexuality is a sin, deplorable and those individuals have a choice. I have been believing all of these with the exception of the choice. I am in the process of rewriting this portion of my Moral Law book.

I hope this helps.

Craig

4. poison53sumac

Julie Ann Peters has lots of books on the LGBT subject, almost all of hers, actually
    Empress of the World (forget the author--Sara something?)
    Annie on My Mind
    Scars--Cheryl Rainfield
    Fat Angie
    A bunch of Ellen Hopkins books have LGBT characters

Any others I must be forgetting; also, these are all YA i think
    haven't found many adult books with LGBT characters; i know they exist but can't find

5. Ideate Me

Ideate Me Guest

Anyone got any recommendations for non-fiction LGBTI books about dealing with it? In fact any non-fiction recommendations for LGBTI books would be great? Even stuff on queer theory and all that kinda stuff?

Thanky panky you.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Silver by Scott Cairns. Historical Victorian fiction with a transman lead character. Just picked it up and so far, seems good.

7. Deaderpool2

gone by michael grant

I saw this book on the shelf a few years ago, its 6th and last book came out this year. Oh. MY. God. go read it. the series is brilliant. i've shared them with my co workers not a single one could stop reading them and needed the next one as soon as possible. i had to actually go into town and buy one for her on the day it was released because she didn't want to wait for me to finish it.

Its set in a fictional american town called Perdido beach where we follow one of our many protagonists named Sam. the book starts right off the bat when every person over 15 disappears suddenly and without reason. He and some others discover a large barrier that encircles the town, out to sea, through a Forrest area and even some open dessert with a nuclear power plant acting as the center of the entrapped area.
    wondering what to do since they cant get out and with no adult supervision the children and teenagers are lost until the children from the boarding school for the rich and troubled on the outskirts of town come to try and bring some order, particularly one boy called Caine. However there methods and caines manipulations have Sam and others on edge.
    At this point we learn some of the children and wildlife have started to mutate and gain special abilities. a cat attacks a boy by teleporting, one girl accidentally starts a fire and Sam's crush has an autistic brother who may have some abilities too. Sam himself is hiding an ability he had long before the barrier appeared.

I cant give much more than that away because the story is too good. Each chapter follows one of the many characters and has a countdown to some major event that happens near the stories end. There are some grisly deaths for minor characters and even some main characters: no one is safe in these books. there are love triangles, some romances that last the entire series, some that don't. there are even a few gay/lesbian characters who are some of the most bad ass in the series.

And yes i am aware that Stephan Kings under the dome has a similar theme but this came out first. he's even written comments in the reviews in the books saying he loves them. my brother got all excited when the trailer for under the dome came out because he thought it was gone till i pointed out there was no way those actors could pass for 14. dumb ass.

There are however trailers for the books and talks of it being adapted into a movie or tv series. here are the links for the us and uk book trailers

1) Gone the first ones not that good and american trailer only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8B3FM1L8c

2) Hunger shows some of the powers but none of the plot uk only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Sxcr5f3dw

3) Lies really bad acting on us one. really creepy uk one, the trailers are definatly getting better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_yz5Ekaz0 us
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_Mmbx5rPo uk

4) Plague this is where things start to get really nasty and really dark. once again us one has some dodgy scripting and acting while the uk one goes for the creepyness and silence. that being said caines actor is hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoK42YH2xrA us
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LclgFsAznLg uk

5)Fear once again very dark and has one of the most twisted scenes (in book) ever. will never make it to film. unless its animated an has a 18 certificate. uk only trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNZ...?v=brNZlqwC7AQ

6) Light sweet jesus i love this series. 1 uk trailer and 3 us trailers that renact scenes from the book. once again think i like the uk version better though this time the actings not bad in the us one. obviously MASSIVE spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0cpHFq9YQ uk
    us part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftKrcRBFI1o
    us part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EEewWFl64k
    us part 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctqgM2hptc

8. hewkie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Has anyone mentioned Density of Souls, by Christopher Rice. Brilliant!:eusa_clap

9. biggayguy

I'm re-reading Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey. It's the first book in a sword and sorcery trilogy. The main character is gay. I was much younger when I read this before and only bi-curious. Now that I'm older and gay it holds new meaning for me.

10. aquartertosix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't read much fiction but Colm Tóibín's "The Story of the Night" will be forever one of my favourite books. I can't recommend it enough. Not only a great novel but a solid portrayal of Argentine society in the years following the restoration of democracy in the country. The narrative is built upon the common themes of most LGBT-oriented books, coming out and HIV/AIDS, but it's subtle eroticism, contextualization and Tóibín's stunning writing sets it apart from the rest.

There's also "Call Me by Your Name", by André Aciman, and "The Absolutist", by John Boyne. Both great reads.

11. DeepCover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    GONE is an amazing series, I started reading them when they first came out and they've pretty much been my favourite books since. The first one came out when I was about 13, and the last when I graduated, so they pretty much accompanied me throughout highschool. The writing, the characters, the stories... pretty much everything is amazing. It can also be quite brutal for a YA novel. The LGBT undertones are great aswell. There's a few gay/lesbian characters, but none of them are defined entirely by their sexuality (which seems to happen a lot when authors decide to be diverse). Everyone should read it. Oh and Michael Grant was co-author of animorphs with he's wife k.a. applegate, which is another series that I loved.

12. pennydreadful

Out Status:
    A few people

I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE THIS BOOK the ending always makes me smile .

Being Emily by Rachel Gold . I loved Julie anne peters Luna but this book is written from the pov of Emily and how she deals with hideing her self from her family and comeing out to her gf great read .

Anything by Julie Anne Peters , Rage a love story was awesome .

anything by Jennifer Finney Boylan I stuck in the middle with you caused me to rethink ending my own life . ( the book fell on my head at the library ask the gods for help oi :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

How beautiful the ordinary ( a collection of short stories so awesome )

It gets better by dan savage

The Black blade blues Series by JA pits the awesome adventures of the black smith Sarah and her gf Kate , sca fighting , dragons , and weapon smithing be steal my heart .

13. DrkRayne

Im just now reading Jodi Picoult --Sing You Home. Me likey

It's about a woman whose marriage ends and she falls in love with her female friend.
    I'm saying less than Amazon.com because their summary spoils the book!
    The book is written in alternatings viewpoints from the main character, the ex-husband and her partner/gf/friend.

really good so far. I got it yesterday and I've already read 150 pages.

14. LadyPoltergeist

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've read The Colour Purple by Alice Walker, which is a heartbreaking book to read and involves a relationship between two women.
    There's also Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson, which I absolutely loved- it's about a young lesbian growing up in a very religious English Pentecostal community and is semi-autobiographical.
    At the moment, I'm reading Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin which focusses on the relationship between two men who meet in a Parisian bar and so far I think it's really vividly and beautifully written.

15. AliceHutchins

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oranges are not the only fruit
    & there is a ton of gay and lesbian vampire literature: this is a list of 60 lesbian stories alone: Lesbian Vampire Books (60 books)

16. PookaciousOne

Unless I missed it I am shocked that no one has mentioned Poppy Z Brite.I loved her books Lost Souls and Drawing Blood

17. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can I just ask you guys something? I've read Geography Club. I'm just wondering.. the second book in the Russel Middlebrook series, The Order of the Poison Oak, is that about Russel being gay too, or is it more like a general book about his life? What I mean is that.. do we get to read about his love life, does he get a boyfriend, or is it just about him and his friends, Min and Gunnar, working at the summer camp?

I'd appreciate the help. I'm wondering if I should read the book or not. I want to read it if it's gay themed.

18. natashaholme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Essential Dykes To Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel is FAB. It's a collection of all her Dykes To Watch Out For comic strips.

19. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Rainbow Boys is by Alex Sanchez. He is a very good LGBTQA Author.

20. thekillingmoon

My favourite book is The Price Of Salt by Patricia Highsmith. I also like Sarah Walters' Tipping The Velvet and some of her other books.