1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheDude, Feb 5, 2012.

1. justjade

I have the DVD of Milk. I got it at Big Lots a while back for $3. I need to pull that out sometimes when I'm not so damn tired.

Romeos addresses a lot of trans issues from what I've read. That's why I want to watch it. It appears to be very deep.

2. Lucky Oshawott

So I watched Shelter yesterday too and I must say I loved it.

3. Saint Otaku

Just watched Beautiful Thing! I'm not much one for romances, but this movie was just simple and sweet enough for my usually gory, psychological-thriller tastes. :grin:

4. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @justjade, I just watched Romeos after reading your post and I have to say it's pretty fantastic, thanks for mentioning it!

5. Ruthven

I watched it after you two mentioned it, and I loved it! Never have I related/empathised so much with something. :tears:

I was in tears at one point, I was happy, I was literally screaming in rage at another infuriating point (lol I'm very emotional and vocal). It was just so awesome, I only wish Rick Okon was really trans but oh well...Those prosthetics were so realistic!

And oh my god, I was so drawn and attracted to Fabio. :love:

6. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Ruthven

It's seriously like my number one favorite trans movie now. I may be the other side of the coin, but I could relate to soooo much of the movie. I LOVED the fact that Lucas did his own vlog on youtube too haha (what trans person doesn't these days lol -- only slightly kidding). There had to be a lot of influence from real trans people on that movie, they just got so many things so right.

7. ninerw

Recent watches include Geography Club and Private Romeo. Both were great at highlighting youth...but Shelter and I go way back. It was probably on of the few movies that really exposed who I was to myself and I am changed by it. But I haven't seen it in almost 4 years!

8. SweetNShySam

SweetNShySam Guest

I love the movie Get Real. One of my favorites! =)

9. DesertTortoise

#329 DesertTortoise, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  10. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Reviews of some gay themed movies:

Freier Fall (Free Fall):

So I've seen Freier Fall (Free Fall). A movie from Germany. It was good and realistic, until the last 20-30 minutes or so, then it started to go downhill. And yeah... NOT my favorite movie. Too bad it couldn't have ended a bit sooner. I'm so disappointed with the ending you have no idea.

Geography Club:

Another good gay movie that was ruined by a sad ending.

Out In The Dark:

See the two former mentioned movies.

What happened? How did gay movies become so effing depressing? Can't gay men be happy and in love too? Why must it always be so difficult?

11. Tim

Tim

Just watched this.

Why the fuck do all movies with gay guys as the main characters tend to end with sadness? -.- I mean, it's not sad sad, but it's still depressing.

I actually really liked the movie until the ending.

12. Jamesey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Today I watched Geography Club (ordered the book to read aswell) and Prayers for Bobby. I was not prepared for that. It really hit hard.

I've also seen:

Priscilla Queen of the Desert (LOVE)
    To Wong Foo
    But Im a Cheerleader
    Transamerica
    Rent
    Paris Is Burning (sort of a documentary)

I've also just watched season 1 of Queer as Folk USA and am onto season 2 today. I have the UK one to watch too.

13. karina

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't think straight
    Imagine Me and You
    Blue is the warmest color
    Room in Rome
    Brokeback Mountain
    Monster
    Boy's Don't Cry
    Lost & Delirious

14. PurpleGrey

Oh, dear, I don't know If I can remember ALL of them, so here are my faves:

But I'm A Cheerleader (Loved that one, very Burtonesque. Mrs. Stick-up-her-@$$ made me laugh, and don't even get me started on how damn hot Graham is. Lovleh!)
    I Love You Phillip Morris (OTT camp, but very romantic. The feel of the movie was alot like this novel I was writing, sort of.)
    Priest (Okay, so I happen to have a sick fetish for priests, bad me, but it was just such a beautiful movie! And I can't get over how perfect the dad's chechre-cat head tilting is in that one scene.)
    Milk (I'm a sucker for biopics!)
    Boys Don't Cry (All-time fave transgender movie!)

I'ma go look at evvie's comments and look up the ones I haven't seen!

15. ninerw

So just watched Monster Pies...I'm not sure what to think about it. The actors portraying the main characters are pretty good, but the editing sucks. It just felt really choppy. That being said, the story is pretty heavy, especially in the latter 3rd of the movie. I don't know yet if I'd watch it again.

16. elwood123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You should watch 'Orange's Are Not The Only Fruit' its on YouTube and its about a child of the leader of a cult-type group who turns out to be a lesbian. Its sad at times but the actors are quite cute!!

17. GearHead

Full Movies:

Brokeback, not completely though
    Kiss The Bride (2007)

Short Movies: (not sure if they count but whatever)

In The Light
    Thirteen or so Minutes
    Triple Standard
    The Invention
    How Not To Live Your Life (comedic)

Want to see:

Triple Crossed
    Bridegroom (more of a documentary)

After seeing my Youtube history I can see why my head hurts.

18. apostrophied

I've seen a bunch (including a number of documentaries). Among those that stick out in my mind:

- Consequence
    - Trembling Before G-d
    - Prayers for Bobby
    - The Matthew Sheppard Story (I think that was the title)
    - For the Bible Tells Me So

There surely were more, including some entitled YouTube movies, but these stick out to me as the best. I saw a bunch of crappy ones, too...

ETA: I also saw Lost and Delirious, although I wasn't too impressed. Later on, I learned that the folks who lived across the street from my house were quite involved in the production of that movie... Haha thank Goodness we never talked about that. "Oh so YOU made that movie, huh..." Lol.

#338 apostrophied, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  19. Rainbow Girl

I looked up "But I'm A Cheerleader" online after I saw a lot of people talking about it here and I really to see it but the only problem is every source I've found says it's R-rated and I'm only a young teenager. Could somebody who's seen tell me why they think it's R-rated so I can try to convince my parents to let me watch it, (they don't know I'm gay but have no problem with me watching stuff with gay characters). Basically I want to know how graphic the sex scenes are, what's the worst language they use, if there's any gore and violence and if so how graphic/bad is it? That be a big help, thank you.

20. apostrophied

Honestly, I don't remember how bad it was in terms of sex, I never remember sex scenes and stuff like that. I do remember, however, that it wasn't a particularly good movie, so if they don't let you watch it, don't stress it. You couldn't pay me to watch it again, it was two hours of my life I ain't getting back...

Now I better go hide to avoid the flying tomatoes... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Why don't you ask your parents to watch it first so they can let you know if they find it appropriate for you?

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2013 at 02:32 PM ----------

For those of you who understand French, this short movie (8 min) was sad but sweet.

Pauline - Film contre l'homophobie 5/5 INPES & Ministère de la Santé et des Sports - YouTube