1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Games that made you cry?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by VaultBoy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Drowzee64

I forgot to mention Yume Nikki. It's just so creepy, lonely, and disorientating. And then there's the ending... :icon_sad:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzMSTwnWnbc[/YOUTUBE]

Let's just say it's a horrible game to play when you've shut yourself in for the past few months and you're so lonely that you're going crazy.

2. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    MGS3
    That lump in my throat didn't break but I shed one tear/
    Contemplated bad guys and their actions for months after.

#42 MyDecember, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't ever shed real tears, but in recent memory, I had to fight tears two times that I can remember:

- Shadow of the Colossus: Mainly, once I started noticing, towards the end of the game that I was, in fact, the bad guy of the piece. That I was murdering these majestic creatures for my own needs. That it was a kind of ritual sacrifice to violate the natural order of things. It was one of the few games that really worked as a tragedy.

- Myst IV: revelation. Maybe not the most well-known game, but having played through all of the games until then, it was a wonderful end-point. Especially considering some of the most touching parts are in the diary pieces. It's not a perfect game, but it grabbed me like not many other games did.

And I may almost have cried ages ago, when first finishing Zelda: Link's Awakening, when the Wind Fish wakes and the island disappears. Part of the crying was also that I spent 4 years to finish that game, and had to teach myself English in the process just to make sense of it. It felt like the end of an era :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. gaius

gaius Guest

Final Fantasy 10 has to be the most tear jerky...unless you count 10 x2 which made me cry because it was so bad...

5. Sunandmoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I cried at the ending of Kingdom Hearts 2. Ahhh I'm going to watch that scene on youtube now. :tears:

6. Aeon Magus

There's so many games I've played, ranging from the PS One to PS3, plus the PSP and the XBox 360 and the Wii and the Nintendo Gameboy... AND THE old cartridge games, those very very old ones.

My first tear shed for a game would be for Breath of Fire 3. Some ways into the beginning of the game you get a "fixed" battle, you don't have much of a choice other than lose. The screen goes dark, you wake up alone in an acquaintance's house who vaguely tells you that you're the only one that survived the attack. Then as the game progresses, you come to a certain point where you have to go back to that place... and Rei is alive, trying to avenge you and the other boy who is "dead". Nearing the end, you find the other boy as well, although, not as teary there, 'cause you have to kill him. Traitorous bastard.

Then, like many who've posted before me, Final Fantasy VII. Yes, the scene where Aeris sacrifices herself and is returned to Gaia. Almost cried for Cait Sith too, but then, he magically appears again... because it's a remote controlled robot? :confused:

And also for Final Fantasy X and X-2. The love story of Tidus and Yuna. When they first started getting "close", they didn't know that Tidus was a Dream that the Faith allowed to be there. And once you destroy the Faith's and the final boss, he has to go... but even before that, I cried because Auron had to go, Tidus' father figure, since his dad was Sin. Then Tidus started fading and Yuna tried to cling onto what was left of him, she fell right through him and he was pretty much gone after that.
    In the second one (X-2), Yuna still isn't over him. The Thousand Words song she sings ("I know that you're hiding things, using gentle words to shelter me...") really got to me... flashbacks of the previous one. Gah!

7. Vesper

Slightly off topic, but I would argue that Aerith didn't sacrifice herself. Rather, she thought it would be over quickly and that she would return to the party once Holy was summoned. She most definitely knew that she was in danger, but she certainly didn't go to the Forgotten City knowing for sure Sephiroth would kill her, and she most certainly knew that praying for Holy would not kill her. The character designer has said that he wished for Aerith's death to be sudden and unexpected, in direct contrast to earlier games in which characters heroically sacrifice themselves. He went on to say that the fact that many players found her death profoundly upsetting is proof that she was successful as a character. Link to source

On topic, I haven't yet cried in any video game...not even FFVII, which seems to be pretty frequently cited. I love Aerith as a character, and I do dread her death, but the knowledge that I can just restart the game and play her again prevents me from feeling too sad. Graphics do play a part in how strongly I react emotionally.

#47 Vesper, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  8. Hazel

Bastion came very close. It's a really cute indie game, but it has a complicated post-apocalyptic storyline. No spoilers from me, sorry.

9. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm sure it's been said already, but the only time I've come close to crying from a game:

The endings for Kingdom Hearts: BBS and 358/2 Days.

10. Colton

For Dragon Age: Origins, during Morrigan's downloadable content, I chose to kill her and I felt like curling up and crying for hours.

11. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Final Fantasy VII. So many times throughout the game because I knew beforehand what was going to happen to Aerith. I sobbed like a baby when it happened and I still can't watch that scene without crying. OH MY GOD I cannot with that game, everything seems so sad.

Final Fantasy VI, X, X-2, and XIII, as well. I'm just really emotionally invested in FF games.

12. PistolWhip

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Keep it to yourself but Oblivion, I fucking loved that game. And In Gears of War 3 Dom. WHY?!?

13. stephaniko

I nearly cried when my little brother saved over my nearly beaten Pokemon fire red game....

14. Gaetan

While I didn't actually cry, the ending of Bastion was really quite poignant.

15. Elicitra

dragon age origins :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: - i love that game

16. Luxord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ending of Kingdom Hearts I, and i almost cried at the end of Kingdom Hearts: BBS where Aqua saved Terra, and locks up Roxas. i also cried cause of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but that i was because the Forest temple (as an Adult) gave me nightmares and i was only a child...

17. Fiddledeedee

I very nearly cried when I saw the best ending on Cave Story – I didn't as it was my brother who got it, since I ony got the normal ending a few hours ago.

18. whoareyou

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would have to say Portal 2 o.o I cryed cause it was just so sollum and sad in my opinion.

19. Alexandria

Tales of Symphonia (the original) for GameCube. I Don't like turn base games, which most RPGs are. However, my little sister had been playing it for a few days and got stuck a third of the way in. I watched for an hour, finding it to be a real time RPG, got into the game, and took the controller - and didnt set it down for 36 hours. The game drew me in that much. Not just the primary quest either; there's a multitude of side stories in the game, and some of them are beyond tragic; absolutely heart rending. Ive heard the PS2 version is a bit better, and the Japanese has even more in it - but i don't know the language.

If people are looking for an incredibly well written, well rounded, very deep RPG, look it up - but not the second. Buggers made the second game a Pokemon ripoff. -__-;

20. Sesshomaru

There have been quite a few for me.

Crisis Core: Watching Zack die at the end was just sad after Shinra turned on him.

FFX, X-2, and IV: All mentioned in previous posts.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2: Sora and Kairi reminded me a lot of Tidus and Yuna.

Infamous 2 (Good Karma ending): One of the most selfless acts I've ever seen.

Golden Sun The Lost Age: More so tears of happiness from this one since everything just barely worked out in the end. And the unexpected twist just before/after the final battle.

The World Ends With You: I was going through my own problems when I played that game and could relate so much to the main character that I couldn't believe it.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: The initial storyline ending was just sad until after the credits. Then again was able to relate to the "second" storyline ending.

I'm sure there are others but that list is already getting a bit long and bringing back many memories.