1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Echroid - The EC RPG Project

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Rinto, Aug 22, 2011.

1. DarkClarity

Okay, so this is a character I made up. Feel free to suggest ideas so I can develop the character more. I haven't decided what to write in the letter yet. Anywho, let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. maverick

This looks like it's coming along nicely, I'll be working on some plotlines and character portraits the rest of this week and this weekend hopefully.

I'll probably practice on some of the characters/objects already outlined here, just because I haven't painted or drawn in a year and I'm probably rusty. I'm interested to take a swing at Aka Manto and the Evarion especially.

So what's the predominating artistic style we're going for here? Japanese RPG (a la Final Fantasy), or more realistic like Bioware's Mass Effect/Knights of the Old Republic?

I vote anime/JRPG style, mostly because it's fun to draw and easier than realistic portraits. :lol: However, I'm up for anything really.

3. djt820

I will provide the music, if wanted.

4. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Nice ideas everyone!

@Nazo: I had the same thought for synquinite actually^^ ABout Usagitate, I think it's too long...

@DarkClarity: Nice definitions, once again. But about your character profile, I suggest we become general and not base only to Japanese thingies. Although it's really obvious I'm so obsessed with Japanese, I'm keeping my best to be a little bit more European and Western and avoid being too much Asian.^^ This way we could keep our "unity".

About the age, I guess that's well. But I suggest we could have characters from the age 8 up to 70+ or even a million years! ^^ I'm not preventing you from your ideas, but I just want it to be more wider in perspective.

Nice job everyone~ I'll constantly be updating this thread with my ideas so please watch out~! :wink:

#24 Rinto, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  5. DarkClarity

@Heeder13: Thanks for the feedback.

6. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I've been forgetting about something and I went too far before deciding on these things. In no particular order:

First and foremost, how are we going to create this game? I mean, I can use RPG Maker VX which is on 2D while thylvin recommended we do 3D using some software with Flash. How can we do that?

Second, what should our style be? As posted by maverick, it could be anime-style or the realistic ones. How should we do it?

Third, what is our MOST MAIN GOAL? Just why are we making this game? Is it just for fun, for show-off or what?

Fourth, who exactly are those ones who vow to their very hearts that would help in this project no matter what happens? I've seen a couple of these project dev forums from one other site and many ones that were products of great long efforts have just been put to waste because the main idea holder lost interest already. And I'm beginning to feel that way.

Fifth, are we really sure we can do this? Please try asking yourselves. Do you have what it takes to make this project successful?

Sixth, I'm sure you guys have schedules and all so I guess we must make one for this ourselves too, so we can balance our time.

Seventh, no offense really but, we're mostly teens here... I don't think we alone have knowledge and capabilities to make such a project with our current abilities at hand (maybe except if you're exceptionally advanced for your age). It would be better if we could balance our teen numbers with the older ones.

________
    Sorry if I'm becoming strict^^" Just really want to make this successful. Maybe we could talk about this altogether sometime?

7. Artemicion

@Heeder13

I believe your concerns are well grounded and completely valid. True that some of us are teens, but for me as a recent graduate view this as a chance to produce something and hopefully eventually end up as a portfolio piece. Even IF this doesn't fall through I still have acquired something – experience with online teamworking, a workable story/idea that could be used in the future, etc.

I will say that I will be producing something whether this projects goes or not. It is something that I MUST do if I want to push myself and hopefully into the industry someday. So it is a big bonus for me to have others critique, co-create a masterpiece together.

As for the platform question...I'm actually not too sure how we're going to combine this all into one game. But one possible solution that I can think of right now is that we each have a specified job at a time. Meaning, things that are text only then you job only involves anything that has to do with writing. Meanwhile if you do sound, you do only sound portions like background music, sound effects, etc (but this also has different styles...). Then the tough part comes in which are the artists. Here it would involve different kinds of art styles and dimensions. Certainly we could have a unified art style, but to pull that off would be quite difficult. I would propose here that artists pick a world that is being formed and stick with it and be that world's artist. If there's more than one of you per world, then collaborate. Like someone do the backdrops and the other does character etc. But of course we can go for anime style if we can all agree.

As for the 2D and 3D part, I'm not too sure myself as implementing these things isn't really my field. But I have a suggestion where both 2D and 3D could be combined together. Like 3D renders for backgrounds and 2D characters? I'm thinking along the lines of FF8, FF9. But of course they used low poly 3D models for the characters, which then could be solved if we followed Ragnarok Online's model where the world is 3D but the characters are 2D sprites. Just a thought. This might be able to work with RPG Maker, but I know this could work for Game Maker 8 (another game making program, but needs a lot more coding than RPG Maker and you start from literally scratch). So, having said Game Maker 8, you could possibly take resources from RPG Maker into Game Maker and mash the two then mash more of our own creations in and eventually we'll have something together. Another problem that we would encounter is, implementing this into all into ONE project file folder. Since we don't meet physically we would be uploading and downloading tons...but so far we should be fine.

Last thing to point out is if we really want to chat with each other live we would all have to be Full Members in order to access the Chat Room, however...I don't think thats the best idea to apply just because for this...just my opinion...So the other way would be set a time where the majority of us can make it and use either the last thread or this one to start the meeting?

P.S. Sorry if i went too technical...ask questions on my wall so we don't flood this thread too much.

8. Enaithor

This sounds great, although most of the skills required, I do not have :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I would be able to have a go at any musical stuff though :grin:

9. Corny

Corny Guest

RPGMaker would be a good start. If you want to do some programming, too - I recommend a canvas engine like impact JS. You can do a lot, but you will need to do javascript coding. bonus is that it will be playable on mobile devices, too.

10. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Well the music and sound design really only come into the mix when the game has actually already been made, so it's really up to the technical bits of making the game right now.

11. DarkClarity

@Heeder13: I'm prepared to put in as much as I can into this. I'm going to make some changes to the character I made and I have an idea for another character but that still in it's early stages.

First and foremost, how are we going to create this game? I mean, I can use RPG Maker VX which is on 2D while thylvin recommended we do 3D using some software with Flash. How can we do that?

Unfortunley I can't help when it comes to this. I do think we should try making it 3D.

Second, what should our style be? As posted by maverick, it could be anime-style or the realistic ones. How should we do it?

I'd say anime would look the best but it's your decision.

Third, what is our MOST MAIN GOAL? Just why are we making this game? Is it just for fun, for show-off or what?

Honestly I can't answer this one. I think this has the potential to go far if we can pull it off.

Fourth, who exactly are those ones who vow to their very hearts that would help in this project no matter what happens? I've seen a couple of these project dev forums from one other site and many ones that were products of great long efforts have just been put to waste because the main idea holder lost interest already. And I'm beginning to feel that way.

Again, I'm prepared to put in as much as I can into this.

Sixth, I'm sure you guys have schedules and all so I guess we must make one for this ourselves too, so we can balance our time.

I was thinking about this. For now though, I think it's best everyone knows exactly what they are doing.

Have people put into teams so they can get on with things. Have a team who are responsible for the technical things. Have a team responsible for character development. Have a team for writing the plot. These are just suggestion but the sooner everybody knows what they're doing the better.

Seventh, no offense really but, we're mostly teens here... I don't think we alone have knowledge and capabilities to make such a project with our current abilities at hand (maybe except if you're exceptionally advanced for your age). It would be better if we could balance our teen numbers with the older ones.

This is a fair point. I think having some of the older and more experianced members focus on the technical things and having some of the teens like myself focus on story and character development would be a good idea.

12. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Thank you guys for responding. Sorry for not going on for the last few days (or a week, perhaps?) since my net got a bit of a problem and i don't think it'll be up permanently. Anyway, our project's still on. I'm working on the background even if I'm not here (I've created 5 characters already, a lot more theories, made many name for items already and planned a bit)

Thanks for the support~!

13. DarkClarity

I've made changes to the character I've already made and I'm in the process of creating two new characters.

14. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys... so sorry I haven't been on EC lately, I'm still in on this but currently studying Cinema4D far more in depth that the usual stuff I usefully do in it.

great news though... I have found a far more superior game development software, some of you may have heard about it already but for those who haven't here is a link
    unity3d

It allows the games created on this to be compatible to Windows, Mac and even Linux, you can make it playable on the web through any kind of major browsers like chrome, firefox, IE and safari to name but a few. The pro version which I recently aquired goes beyond than, you can now develop the smae game for xbox, p3, wii, android phones and more.

What is even great is the Unity3D community allows you to submit your game to be marketed at various levels and the developer (you) get 80% of the profits generated. You can make great 3D rgp games to even 2d games.

15. DarkClarity

@Heeder13 have you thought about putting people into teams as I suggested into one of my previous post? And is there a certain deadline for creating characters?

16. Artemicion

Alright, here's my pretty simple story, with classic elements that's been used over and over again:

Setting: Set in a fantasy world where there is magic, monsters, kingdoms, castles, princesses, knights etc.

Synopsis given to the players at the start:

The king is missing. Kidnapped by his very own court mage. Knights and mages have tried to locate and rescue the king but to no avail, he could not be found. The realm boils in turmoil as mysterious fiends have started to roam the land. Nowhere is safe. The princess of the kingdom in desperation has called out all the people who can rescue her father and willing to reward them with unparalleled riches that one can only dream of.

Being a traveling swordsman, you set out on a new adventure, towards the realm of Promenenthia where the king's ransom awaits.

World Mythos Related:

The Abyss was supposedly sealed away forever in the folds of space and time by the Gods themselves. However, the curiosities of powerful wizards and its conclave recreated a passage to the Abyss realm once again letting loose the denizens of the Abyss. The Abyss Gate it was called and demons were all they found in the Abyss. From this portal, darkness poured forth and threatened to cover the world. Immortal objects wrought by mortal hands, could not be destroyed by mortals, only to be sealed by mortals.

But a champion arose in the darkness, Tarion the Blessed and his partner and wife, Drea the White Priestess, sealed the gate once again. (Of course not just these two people, there should be more in this team.)

There are six realms in all, each guards an object of power that can open the Abyss Gate. When one is brought to the gate within the Tower of Time, they can open a small rift to the abyss. When all six are collected, the Abyss Gate seal is released and the true horrors shall be released and darkness shall reign supreme.

Actual Over Arcing Story:

The king is kidnapped by a wizard who's seduced by a succubus (therefore i'll have incubus's as well...). Not by the court mage, but a wizard from their neighboring kingdom of Astralongue. Having a demonic summoning gone awry, the succubus Lilith, a powerful demoness, broke free from her Abyssal prison to wreck havoc and open the Abyss Gate.

Kidnapping the king was just the start of her plans to plunge the world into darkness. Also, along the way, she stole the Jewel of Gaia, one of the six keys on unlocking the Abyss Gate. With the first key in place, lesser demons have started to pour forth...

I don't have any characters in it yet, but the main character's occupation. And of course I'm planning to include something more than just your usual straight relationship stuff hopefully...:thumbsup:

Feedback is welcome as I'm quite a newbie writer...

17. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Hello everyone!
    for some unknown and distressing reason, Heeder13 hasn't been able to connect to EC for three days, he's pretty down about it and isn't sure why it's happening, but he wanted me to post this for him.

18. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to change the text display speed and character starting point to make the game playable, but you've got some great ideas.

19. Rinto

Rinto Guest

At last, I've been able to come back here! \(^0^)/ Yay~!!!
    A really great thanks for DominoFlare for relaying my message to all of you.
    I dunno why I wasn't able to come here but I researched it may have been because of malware but who cares now, I'm back~

Although I'm practically here now, I still won't be able to post regularly since I lost net connection at home and I'm busy at school due to school paper obligations. But I'll try my best to give what I can whenever I shall visit here.

For now, here's what I think we should do: Start the project little by little. I am actually getting a little bit uninterested in making the game once again but I'm still keeping to push it through.

I have already given my part of this project and I guess it's your turn now. SO please, let's help out each other.

For the meantime, please sort yourselves first to any of the following: researchers, developers and writers. Since we can't do any eventing as of now yet, I think we better start with the research.

For the researchers, please search for names of items (weapons, armors, etc.), historical events, controversial issues or any other interesting things we could put up in our game. The plot is right inside my Idea Compilation so please check it so you can determine what sorts of things you should find.

For the developers, I recommend that we better find the program we should be using.

For the writers, the characters.

That's all that we should think about for this moment. About the actual game making process, let's just settle them later.

Good day to all.

20. DarkClarity

I tried it but it doesn't work.