1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents... how did they react??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KaotikPrincess, Jul 29, 2011.

1. AlTaboo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't told them. I don't know why I haven't told my mother, she went out to visit family for a funeral and staid with her gay cousin and his boyfriend. And then fought with the rest of the family when they wouldn't let him carry the casket. So I know she'd be accepting, I just don't have the nerve to do it.

2. TraceElement

When I came out to my mom last week, she claimed she "loved me no matter what" and gave me a hug, so I thought she was going to be pretty chill about it. But, a few days ago I had my rainbow lanyard hanging out of my pocket, and when my mom asked what it was i told her it was a lanyard, she made a face... one of those faces people make when they don't want to say anything to offend you. So, that leads me to think that she really doesn't accept the LGBT community as much as she is trying to claim she is.

3. XSethX

XSethX Guest

Well my mom and step dad were giving me a sex talk when I was around 12 and I was just like 'ya I don't really care about what to do with a girl...what to do with a boy would be useful though'. They both just gave me a hug and my mom was like ' well I don't know that much about it, let me get back to you on that' and that was that really.

My real dad was a different story though.He found out when I was 14, my sister let it slip :dry:. He was really mad and we had a massive fight about it.Thankfully I wasn't living with him so I refused to see him for about a year. He's calmed down since. He still doesn't like it but he doesn't say anything about it.

4. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Awh <3 i was just like mom i love girls just like aunt &** does n mom was like oh and almost crashed the car

5. redstormrising

my dad immediately said he loves me whether i like boys, girls, or both . . . but he still says the most homophobic things around me. lol so i guess that means our relationship hasn't changed at all.

my mom spent awhile trying to convince me that i was just confused and i am really straight, but eventually said she loves me no matter what. but i think she still thinks it is just a phase and keeps telling me i don't have to deal with it right now, there's plenty of time to figure it out. otherwise, our relationship hasn't really changed either.

6. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

(when came out to them, i thought i was bi, turns out i'm not...whoops.)

dad- accepted it right away
    mom- said there was no such thing as bi (even thou turns out i don't like dudes, i don't agree with this)

7. blikeo

my mom's reaction was great.

to this day my dad still says "it's just a phase"

8. Gambit

I came out to my mom about 8 months ago and it didnt go well. I told her I was bi. She said that I was confused and that she's sure I'm straight. She took me to a psichologist ( did I spell that right?) who claim she could turn me straight in a few sessions. My mom was very pleased with this. I never ended up going because I was at home only for vacation. I came back to the US before I could go to one of those sessions. We haven't spoken about the topic since then. It is as if I never came out to her. She still asks me about girls, how I'm gonna make a girl very happy, etc.

I don't think I'll ever come out to my dad. He's way too homophobic

9. Raeil

I haven't told my Dad yet, but I don't anticipate him accepting it right away. He's a former youth pastor of a rather fundamentalist church (which I was a part of until February of this year), so he has rather strong feelings on homosexuality even though he doesn't make them known that often.

My mother tends to agree with him, but when I told her she was rather reassuring. I knew she wouldn't accept it, at least to the point of saying "I approve of your sexuality," but I was surprised that she didn't go any further than saying "I disagree with your choice, and I will be praying that you choose to return to God." (I had also told her I wasn't Christian anymore at the time, which was likely a mistake.) Either way, we still have a great relationship, even though we don't talk about my sexuality at all, so I suppose she reacted pretty well!

Charlie, sorry about how your Mom reacted. I'm sure you already know this, but if the psychologist your Mom wants to take you to is claiming to be able to "make you straight," you should never visit that psychologist. While I cannot find my source at the moment, research suggests that anti-gay therapy can cause major psychological damage. The sources I can find state that there is no sanction for any psychologist to attempt to change an individual's sexual orientation, and the majority of the professional organizations have policies which caution against all of these claimed treatments. Sorry if this seems unheeded, but I feel obligated to remind people of these facts because there are several people who don't know them.

10. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

I'm not out to my parents yet, my mother is a homophobic Jerk, i don't live with her, i live with my dad, but she constantly looks down on gay people and makes offensive comments anytime she sees them.
    One time, while she was showing off this pathetic and ignorant side of her, i stood up for them and told her she was wrong. She completly turned on me and accused me of being gay and acting like it was some kind of bloody disease.
    It's disgusting really, how completely ignorant and hypocritical people can be.

My dad however, is EXTREMELY accepting, even though i'm not out to him. I'm bi, but he suspected me of being gay after my mum's little rant, then had this entire conversation with me about how he "wouldn't mind, and would still love me" even if was gay.
    So i know he's accepting and I don't think my brother would mind either but i still don't have the courage to come out yet :icon_sad:

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my mom was ok with it right away, "So, you're still my kid." she said.

Dad was quiet for about.......45 minutes then he started talking again and we never discussed it after that.

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I have a gay younger brother who came out to my mom before I did, and he was in the 8th grade at that time and she initially wasn't very accepting at all and said that it was just a phase and everything, and then I came out to both of my parents and that kind of just settled it for everyone. In this family I'm the one that has the last word, and that's how it has always been.

They couldn't be more amazing now. My parents went on day trips with my brother and his boyfriend when they were dating, and they always ask if I'm dating anyone and stuff like that. It gets kind of annoying though because they still use phrases like "special friend" and it just makes me cringe.

13. Lotty

Well, my uncle thought he was gay until he married my aunt, so my parents were pretty used to having a gay relative. They were surprised when I told them, but said they didn't care, as long as I chose someone nice to be with. I thing they were a little dissapointed because maybe they won't get grandchildren (oh well, there's still my sister and my brother (though I'm not sure if my brother is straight himself)), but they also know that I really want to have kids when I'm 'grown up', and I'll do anything to have kids, so they don't worry about that too much.

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I told my mom she just sighed a little bit. I told her at 1:11am, so the next morning since we were both more awake we talked about it more. She said that it didn't bother her any.

15. biosynth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my mom just said ok, so what? (i was really freaking out at that moment) and she just told me she would have preferred that i had been strait since i wouldn't have kids but otherwise its was fine as long as i didn't become a "weird gay" no stilletos or fake boobs she said. :roflmao:

later on she told me she had always thought i was asexual like Sheldon from the big bang theory (i guess because i had been pretending to myself that i didn't like guys but i couldn't pull off pretending to like girls either.)

16. redstormrising

i'm starting to see my mom doesn't care so much if i'm not straight, she just doesn't want me to be with the woman i'm crushing on. (which is fine, bc a) she's right - this woman is horrible and manipulative and i don't understand why i am so drawn to her; and b) it'll never happen anyway)

i finally told her i'm planning to attend a PFLAG meeting tomorrow, and was afraid of how she'd react. but i just had to explain to her what it was, and then she said, hmm ok . . . do you want me to go with you? i said no, i'd rather do this one alone, but maybe at some point i would want her to come with me. i'm just surprised (but glad) she offered

17. Zontar

This unorthodox mix of denial and apathy. No animosity though.

18. knight of ni

That's brilliant!

19. XXReye

I never actually came out as gay to my dad. He'd been hearing it from my siblings for years, and I guess finally decided to believe it. So I was going to be turning 16, and I was planning my sleepover for my birthday party (I always invited my friends over for sleepovers). He turns to me and says "You know...if you're gay, I don't think it's appropriate for you to be having sleepovers with girls."
    So I raged and I was like "Its not like I'm gonna be banging all my friends!"
    We argued over that part for a while, then he said he'd think about it. He eventually decided I was allowed to have friends sleep over still.
    He never really brings it up, so I have no clue if he accepted it or not.

When I came out to him as trans, he wasn't happy. I know he was pretty angry that I was like "Oh yeah, and I am getting surgery in two weeks!". But mostly he didn't believe me. He thought I was unhappy and I was using GRS because I thought it was the answer. Now, even after my surgery, he acts like I didn't come out to him at all. It's frustrating.

I haven't really had contact with my mother since I was 14 or 15...I remember I told her when I got my first girlfriend (but this was during the period where she first kicked me out, for other reasons). She didn't want to discuss it. I hear from my younger sister that my mom thinks I became gay to piss my dad off. She doesn't know I am trans yet.
    I want her to know because I think it would piss her off :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I'm not gonna be sending her any letters about it.

20. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My conservative Mormon parents told me that I wasn't gay, and a bunch of horrible untrue bs arguments that I later had answers to. I cried myself to sleep that night. How could the people that are supposed to love me be so cruel. I was not allowed to spend the night or use the internet for a year. I started wearing black to church and not participating.

Four years later my mom still doesn't accept it, (Something about not being "God's Plan") and rolls her eyes if I bring it up.
    My dad is supportive, but not openly because of how my mom feels.

I no longer go to church or hate myself for lying anymore. Telling them was the stupid-bravest thing I've ever done, and I am better off for it. :]