1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How and why did you find Empty Closets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too... teehee... I was so naughty. :wink:

I lurked for about a week. I decided to join because some of the posts and advice here made me burst into tears and I wanted to accept myself.
    I stayed because of the community.
    I just love everybody! :grin:

2. Eric

How did you find Empty Closets? Were you specifically searching for a support and/or GLBT forum/community, or did you stumble upon it? If you were actively looking for a forum or community like us, why were you looking for one? And finally, why have you stayed?

I don't remember how I found EC, although it seems I had stumbled onto it somehow. I wasn't really looking for support or anything like that. I guess I wanted to talk to people I could relate to, perhaps talk about guys on occasion. I still here because I like most of the people, and not many other places have so many security precautions in place.

3. kwyjibo

I joined because another member (Thing) who I know IRL, took my iPod and wrote into the notes app:
    Join emptyclosets.com
    I am Thing
    Friend me!
    I joined that day.

4. Cantthinkofone

I was like arrghh I need advice because I didn't really have people to talk to (I did have one friend who declared herself as bi but even she herself wasn't sure and she didn't really know how to help me) and googled "sexuality advice" and stumbled upon this one. And I'm glad I did :slight_smile:

(@Fairybread that picture in your signature is adorable ;D)

5. Saikou7

Honestly, I don't remember. I probably googled something about coming out and stumbled here. I lurked for almost a year probably before I actually joined. It was a while! :lol:

Anyway, I really enjoy this place, though I don't post a ton. I don't want to think of leaving. (&&&)

6. olides84

+1 for the site which cannot be named :grin:

Wasn't really looking for a support site, but after lurking for awhile I noticed what a great community it is with lots of great, supportive people, so I joined up. Jeez it's been 3 years now!

7. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think i was looking up LGBT topics on wikipedia, clicked on one of the external links, clicked a few other links, and somehow ended up here. Seemed like the kind of place I was looking for, so I joined.

8. Raeil

Was at the beginning of the process of coming out to friends, and google searched "coming out stories" to find some for encouragement. I think this site was on the second or third page. Signed up within a few hours and voila, now I'm here once a day (unless I'm on a WoW stint).

9. Dykezz

Back then it was time for me to come to terms with me being gay. I had been putting it off for so long and was living a miserable life. I had no clue how to change that so I googled coming out and ended up here. I posted a thread and got some wonderfull advice from everyone here. I really felt at home. (&&&)
    I read all the threads on the site (well not all of them :icon_wink) but alot of them and it gave me a feeling that I wasn't alone. So I joined! :icon_bigg

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

When I noticed, I started typing in ask jeeves, gay related issues, and found EC, I forgot what I said in the other thread :lol:

11. Artemicion

Went on a rampage on google about gay related topics when I finally broke down and admitted to myself that I was gay. Well that's almost a year ago now...(story for later). Well, popped in and wow, I was surprised by what an unique, supportive and helpful forum this is! :grin: Go Empty Closets!

12. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found it on the External Links section of a Wikipedia page (I think the Coming Out page), and decided to join up as the site was currently in the middle of a google advertisement campaign and was surging in popularity and activity. I didn't actually post very much or anything to start with, and very nearly became inactive on the site. It was only because of my procrastination during my January AS exams in 2008 that I signed in again, and since then I've just been arounddd. :slight_smile:

13. DefineNormal

DefineNormal Guest

I'd been googling sexual orientation, confusion and stuff for like that for about half a year untill I stumbled accross this. I read loads of threads about confusion and coming out before I decided that if I wanted answers I would have to post myself. After posting my thread and hanging around I've finally began to accept myself completely. I've stayed because- apart from being completely addictive- the people on this site are amazing and I would never throw away such a valuable resource. Thank you for helping me find myself :slight_smile:

14. Kosie345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I stumbled onto it this afternoon. I was feeling very frustrated with my current situation and decided to find something that made me feel better. I found 32733872 web sites dedicated to teenagers and googled support for older gay men (I almost died when I had to type "older" ).

And here I am.

15. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I. . .

Actually have no idea. It might have been through another site, but I doubt it as I do remember EC being the first LGBT/coming out forum I stumbled across. It may have been related to the hacking/destroying of a Christian forum that I was very active on that left me and all of it's members "homeless."

I found EC my senior year of high school, in 2007.

Let me just say. . .wow. . .soooooo much has changed, and that's thanks to everything/everyone that's helped here.

Can't believe it's been 4 years.

16. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I feel ya. My four year anniversary of my membership to this site is coming up, and I can't believe I've been in this community for so long.

17. Mr Ishida

Mr Ishida Guest

I'll pretend i have no idea what your talking about.

Kudos if you can guess how i found this site.

18. Bolin

I know how you found this site! :grin:

19. confusedgirl

nothin but dry desert here no beach either
    My sophmore year of high school of 08 was when I figured out I was bi I went through this horrible depression when I finally figured it out so I went on youtube and looked up some coming out videos. One day I was on one of my favorite websites called fan fiction I have no clue what story I was reading but I saw this advertisment for EC and it was a picture of these two boys holding hands and said Empty Closets so I clicked on it.

I immidately fell in love with that one page that I'm sure everyone has read that explains what the site is about and something inside me told me that I needed to join this site so that night I joined and I haven't regretted it. The reason that I've stayed on this site is because this site has great atomsphere and has people that help other people in anyway possible and because everyone is just so friendly its great. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if I didn't find this site.

So I've gotta give the creator of this site a big virtual hug.

20. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

I think I was looking for advice on coming out, and EC was one of the google results or something. But everyone here is really awesome and gets along really well. I feel like I can be understood, so I'm extremely glad to have found EC. :icon_bigg