1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Osama Bin Laden is dead

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, May 1, 2011.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Yes, Osama was a *enter every swear word here*, but he was human none the less. We're killing someone because we believe it was wrong that he killed people. Ironic much??

Idk. My opinions are mixed. I don't want to celebrate a persons death. No matter how you spin it, that's what people are doing.

And while I'm a person that believes in justice, I just refuse to celebrate this. It feels wrong to me.

Hate isn't anywhere on the path to peace.

#61 x2x2x2x2y2, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

"Bin Laden's body buried at sea"

Wheres the piccies!?

3. Cathulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to go out here and say that I'm one of the people who felt a sense of relief that this had happened. Not that a human was dead, but to hear that there was finally something coming out of that side of the world that could boost the morale of troops who were weary from that much time doing something they were seeing no turn in. I'm not foolish enough to think that this ends things. This honestly just opens a whole new can of worms.

However, I am a little unsettled by some of the sentiments expressed. Yes, I feel uncomfortable that some people are celebrating his death more than the fact that there was a strategic victory made. However, just as some feel it is unfair he was killed without a trial, how fair is it of us to make the assumption that some soldier just killed him for no real reason after the conflict had already been resolved at that particular firefight?

Who are we to immediately assume that just because the President says he was killed, that means it was done in cold blood? Who are we to assume that he didn't pick up a loaded gun and aim it at a soldier, who shot in self defense? Until we know more, it is equally unfair of us to make assumptions of the soldiers involved in the fight. No one said how it was done. He was ill, but not dead, and even a man who knows he's lost will try to fight back. It's caged animal reflex. So until we know more, I refuse to assume.

After all, when we found Saddam Hussein, we brought him in for a trial as well...

4. Hexagon

Its a kind of psychological blow to them. But not nearly enough.

5. partietraumatic

I'm worried it will be almost the opposite. I have a feeling it will just energise fundamentalist Islamic terrorist groups around the world to show that Bin Laden's death doesn't affect them at all. I strongly suspect there will be many terrorist attacks being planned at this very moment.

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I just heard on CNN a little bit ago that there was a firefight between Osama and the strike team. CNN is also reporting that a woman died after one of Osama's bodyguards used her as a human shield. Sick...

7. kem

kem

x2x2x2x2y2, that is precisely what I was thinking.
    Death for death for death for death, it's an endless cycle.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone expressing joy at this person's death should stop and think for a moment.

This may be victory for anti-terrorism, this may be justice being enacted, this may be closure for relatives of victims...

But a human being has been expunged. That should never, ever be a cause for celebration, under any circumstances. Joy in death is precisely the sentiment that he and his followers had after more than three thousand murders of what we see to be innocent people, but what he saw to be the root of all evil.

Take heart in the fact that terrorism has been dealt a blow, but also take a moment to mourn the death of a misguided, morally twisted man who under different circumstances and with a different upbringing may have been just like you or i.

9. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I don't think that there is celebration soley because he is dead. I know that I, and I am sure many other people would much rather have seen him captured, brought to America and forced to hear from his victims. However, I think it should be clear that the rejoicing is that this terrorist will not live to continue threatening the lives of innocent peoppe.

Death is sad, but this death is a reason to celebrate, despite what you are saying. The death of a man who has killed thousands (if not hundreds of thousands), planned the death of innocent people, and actively recruited and promoted terrorism is an excellent thing - it is justice, there is no "may be" about that. There is no reason to mourn his death. There is reason to mourn the fact that he may have grown up in an environments that pushed him towards such awful things. However, that itself does not excuse such actions. Unless there is a mental illness that restricts culpability, Osama bin Laden has lived his life in the way he has chosen and he is responsible for his actions. If you or I chose to become terrorists and rose to his level, I don't hesitate to say that we would deserve the same end and the same reaction.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there is any justification for joy in death.

I have no problem with relief that the brains of a terrorist organisation has been neutralised.

The reason to mourn his death is that he was alive. He was a human being.

Don't let his death erode your humanity.

11. NickT

Look, I agree that death shouldn't actually be celebrated like this, but this is our modern-day Hitler. He was an evil person who needed to be stopped. I'm celebrating the fact that we can rest easier now that he's gone.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i would copy/paste exactly what i said about Osama with regard to Hitler and be comfortable with it.

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Well if that is what you think, then that is fine. These are matters of opinion and not fact I suppose. But I will have to disagree with you in this instance. Don't mistake me, I am not pro-death penalty and I do not prefer death out of vengeance. However, for a man who is so extremely dangerous, I think that his death is a good thing. I would hope that this disagreement does not lead you to question my humanity.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, i suppose in some respects i agree, the fact that he is no longer around may be a net positive for the world in many respects....

i just can't abandon my compassion for fellow humans, regardless of their level of misguidedness

and no, i in no way doubt your humanity, sorry, i didn't mean to imply that... that was more said for those out there who would yell in unthinking joy

15. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think they should have embalmed him with pig's blood before tossing him into the sea.

16. booby

I'm getting sick of seeing this uuuurvywhere .. they wouldn't make such a big deal if Obama had died

Plus the US has nothing to be proud of .. it took them a decade to kill a guy who was comfortably living in a mansion close to a military station in Pakistan .. he was killed with one bullet in his head: he did not suffer/get tortured/arrested/etc.

I'm glad he was killed .. now there is no reason for the US to stay in Afghanistan/Iraq .. unless they were there for other *cough* Iraq's oil *cough* purposes

Also, Osama has left his mark/principles for whoever is coming next.. it wouldn't have made such a difference if he died from a fever 1 year before/later

17. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Didn't think you did, just wanted to clarify my feelings as well so I didn't sound vengeful.

18. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

To all the people who are saying there is no reason to celebrate his death, how fucking dare you. He was not human. A human does not mercilessly have thousands of people killed. A human does not spread fear for the sake of fear. I am happy he is dead. So fucking happy. You say he didn't deserve to be killed, well I know close to 8 million people who would say he deserved a hell of a lot worse.

(For the record I consider myself to be somewhat of a pacifist. I wouldn't say this about just anyone. In fact I can't think of anyone else I would say this about. Honestly though, you all make me feel sick when you say he shouldn't have been killed.)

#78 Pepsi, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you serious? They really really would.

You only need to look at presidents like Abraham Lincoln and John F Kennedy to see how their death is documented within history. Say what you want about America, but let us not pretend that they wouldn't care as much if their Commander in Chief was killed. Any person who assassinated their president (assuming they got caught) would soon have America's unified boot being shoved up their backside.

20. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I am glad he is dead, but he should have been lock up as death is to easy.