1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Osama Bin Laden is dead

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, May 1, 2011.

1. RaRa

+1.

The aftershock of this event in LA has been almost as chaotic when the Lakers won the championship last year. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Markio

I agree with MonsieurGodiva's statement.

I really appreciated the part of Obama's speech where he mentioned Muslims not being the enemy and how all people are in support of peace and the dignity of people are welcome. Or something, he said it way better than that.

3. brodyman

I agree with you about what Obama said, but I can't agree with MonsieurGodiva's statement. Countless innocents victims were murdered, the fact that we have brought justice upon the man and stumbling blow to the United State's sworn enemy is a momentous achievement. This is a blow to evil in the world and it shows that if America wants to do something, we can achieve it together.

I'm happy to see Osama Bin Laden go, but my Dad also got called away to the pentagon because of this :/

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your Dad was called to the Pentagon namely because as said on ABC News, security experts are keeping eyes out for anything.

5. While I don't expect everyone (or anyone, for that matter) to agree with me, I think that a) there is more than one type of justice in this world and b) your post demonstrates the exact type of rhetoric that I was discussing. Although perhaps those are just my political beliefs coming to light.

6. brodyman

I would have to agree with you that there are different types of justice in the world. But I don't think people are nessecarily celebrating his death as much as they are the victory over evil. In the ten years since this war on terrorism started, the U.S. has not had a clear-cut victory. This is definitely a victory over terrorism and the Al-Quaeda. Now my views are probably skewed because your talking to a guy who comes from a military family too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. While I respect your opinion, this is hardly a victory over terrorism, if you ask me. What about the KKK? Chechnyan Separatists? Lashkar-e-Taiba?

Regardless, I stand by what I said originally.

8. Ridiculous

I misheard my mum telling me, thought she said Obama, not Osama, so I was quite surprised.

Turns out it was Osama, so it wasn't quite as alarming. However you could've been fooled if you watched Fox news: image (that's not fake, by the way)
    I am glad that Fox news is very obscure in New Zealand.

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I can't believe I am just now learning this monumental news at 3 AM. And not even through a big time news station, but through EC rather. Honestly I still don't know what to think about the most wanted man in the world being killed. I think as an American I should be happy, but I actually feel sort of sad.:confused:

10. brodyman

Hmm, that is a good point but you have to remember: Most (now this is a generalization and you have every right to disagree with it) people in my opinion, think about Osama Bin Laden when they think about terrorism. He is the figurehead of terrorism, who up until now has successfuly declared war on the U.S., killed thousands of innocent civilians, and gotten away with it. When we killed him, we proved that no one can get away with such atrocities. It is true that there are other organizations that use terrorism but Osama Bin laden was a master at it.

11. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I will remember where I was when I heard the news.. I was making up with a friend (see "Friend?" in support and advice).

But this is great news; I am so glad!

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ima go out on a limb and put forth a completely different sentiment than I've heard from much of anyone. Same sentiment I put forth right after the 9/11 attacks.

We're told in many different ways, in the bible and elsewhere, to treat our enemies with kindness. And hundreds of years ago, we went away from the rules of law where liars got their tongues cut out, thieves their hands cut off, and so forth. Gandhi put it quite well when he said "An eye for an eye and pretty soon the whole world is blind."

Now... I'm not for an instant saying that bin Laden isn't an evil piece of shit, completely beyond redemption, and there's no possible way that he would ever be rehabilitated, or express remorse or contrition, and I am afraid that, from a pragmatic standpoint, the only real option was to assassinate him. So I can understand the justification for the action, and I really don't see there was much other choice.

But am I alone in feeling no joy about this? Our government killed someone. Another human being. Without a judge, jury, or any due process. Yes, he killed (or ordered killed) thousands of people, harmed tens of thousands more, and did all sorts of damage. But I don't think he was insane. Misguided yes. Dangerous and harmful, yes. I think he honestly, in his heart, saw the West as corrupt and dangerous and ruining the world, and believed, deep down, that he was doing the right thing. Clearly he wasn't, but to me, that at least deserves some thought as we think about this. (Bill Maher said something similar to what I just said, soon after 9/11 and got thrown off network television as a result because people completely missed his point, so I don't necessarily think anyone will get mine.)

What I'm saying is, for me, this idea that we just go and get all patriotic because we murdered someone in cold blood gives me pause. It may have been necessary, but I don't think it's something to celebrate.

13. Except that what I'm saying is that looking at this situation in such a manner is incredibly myopic. After Bin Laden was killed (my opinions on the actual event and not the reaction to which are basically the same as Chip's), many people are sensationalizing the event and have bought/are buying into these nationalistic ideals that state that "nobody can get away with terrorism." Well, many people do commit acts of terrorism and probably will continue to, even in the American nation-state. Now that Bin Laden is gone, we should mourn the dead and simply move on, hopefully bringing an end to terrorism in much more peaceful ways in the future.

14. RaRa

Well you know what they say Chip...."one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter." You make some good points.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kind of on the fence more or less. On one hand, I'm happy he's dead but like the former brigadier-general said, the past couple of years he was more a figurehead than an actual commander. His affiliates in Yemin, etc were the ones coming up with the plans, etc. He simply did the broadcasts and such. Still I think with his death, there may be a slight disjoint but at the same time I'm worried about them coming back either stronger or just they'll continue the route they were already going.

As for the other side of the fence, there was something in Naruto that makes me think of this situation: "We are but men, drawn to act in the name of revenge we deem to be justice. But when we call our vengeance justice, it only breeds more revenge... forging the first link in the chains of hatred."

16. partietraumatic

I'm worried people are falling into the trap of thinking that this is an end to all evil and Islamic fundamentalism, when in reality he had little to do with the running of al quida and the taliban over the last few years.

17. Hexagon

I know, I just heard about this. Its brilliant news!

18. Mogget

You aren't alone Chip. I think it's grotesque to celebrate anyone's death.

19. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fox: Taking the Freudian slip to the next level.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this yet...

20. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I went to bed kinda early last night and when I woke up this morning I was so speechless. This was the absolute thing I was expecting. I'm happy that he was killed, and I'm happy that some people are finally able to have closure, but ultimately it doesn't change a whole lot. There are other people and sects out there that are just as dangerous as he was. His death might give them pause but this is an issue that is probably going to plague us for the rest of our lives, unfortunately.