1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grades so far. Next semester's classes.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Math and Science based courses are the easiest courses to curve, while any other is easier to apply the catagorical pass/no pass rule. Really, when comparing it to european systems, US schools are incredibly lax. They usually depend on the achievement of a certian year to determine how all others are to be graded, instead of just setting a certain rule against which all years are measured.

2. theJosephDean

:lol: Insert innuendo here, eh? XD

3. Meropspusillus

I wouldn't exactly call the US system of schooling "lax" because of curving. I'll admit, I don't attend a very typical college, but I've encountered very few curved classes. Those classes that are curved tend to be very hard: I've heard of curved classes where the "A" is a 75%, and of course in a curve class you would discard sever outliers (like if you had 10 students and one had 100% and the other nine had less than 75% you'd discard the 100 for the curve.) I'd imagine that professors who curve classes don't really see the curve change much from year to year, so really curving is just so that the teachers can give students really hard questions while at the same time not punishing them for not being able to answer the question fully. (Trying and failing to answer questions can help you learn, as frustrating as it is.)

In summary, the philosophy behind curving really has nothing to do with the US school system being "lax". That being said, it may be more lax for other reasons as I really know very little about European schools.

4. Markio

Race/Ethnicity = A-
    Environmental Sociology = B+
    GLB Political Science = B-
    Psych 101 = A
    Life Drawing = A

I'm pretty pleased; no more Cs!

5. Étoile

To revive a very old thread:

This was last semester's grades. I rocked those classes and I feel in my heart that I won't do the same this semester already.

Elementary Statistics: B
    Principles of Biology II (with lab): A
    Introduction to Philosophy: A
    World Religions: A
    Art Appreciation: A
    Beginning Ballet: A

This semester's classes:

Ethics in Psychology
    Careers and Professional Skills in Psychology
    Fundamentals of the WWW
    Theories of Personality
    Diversity of Life

6. duriru

In my university, classes are graded from 0-100%, below 70 you fail. And we have trimesters instead of semesters.

Grades for last trimester:
    Investigation Methods and Techniques - 93
    Genetics - 90
    Embryology - 81
    Neuroanatomy I - 75
    Medical Psychology - 73 (Chose the worst section, only about 20/50 passed)
    (Had some issues with depression and some bad class choices, hence my lower than normal grades)

Classes for next trimester:
    Anatomy I
    Histology + Lab
    Anthropology
    Medical Ethics
    Total Quality Management
    Cooking

7. Étoile

^So lucky. I hate the fact that with our system, an 80 and an 89 is the same thing when the class ends.

8. Alexandria

Attempt # 2 at posting this. Damned blackberry.

Ill be the first to admit - I didn't pass high school. At all. I did well (80%) in foods, biology, english, history, social studies and gym, but bombed horribly on french and math; the latter being this not for me economic stuff that may be great for some, but I was hopeless with it. The other course I failed - deliberately I might add - was this retarded, moronic thing called 'career and personal planning' that I was told was an essential life skills course - but wound up being making stupid art collages and other useless nonsensical garbage. (Note to art people - that is what my sister - a semi pro artist - called it. So no b!tching. )

Anyway, after surviving the hell that was school, I drifted for 6 years till I got my apprenticeship for automotive service technician. 3 months in, I was told by the boss I had to, due to lack of diploma, take an aptitude test; which supposedly was akin to a GED. I didn't do much study aside of 3 nights of quick brushup - and blew it out of the water with a 86%.

Then I did the 4 years of schooling. Well, this is delightful to me - the scoring is simple; class mark must be >65%, while final exams for each year must be >70%

Year one - class 84%, final 89%
    Year two - class 86%, final 87%
    Year three - class 83%, final 85%
    Year four - class 82%, final 74%, apprenticeship final 86%.

(In my defense, I had personality conflicts with one instructor while suffering health issues during 4th year. Pretty sure if I was atop my game I would of cleared 85 easy. Also, the 4th year final is notorious for washing out students, even if they pass the apprenticeship final. )

So yea, for me, that high school diploma didn't mean beans.

Oh, and the icing on the cake for me was, a month after my finals for 4th year, while still awaiting my results, I competed in a certain nation wide technician competition for a certain auto manufacture - in which I placed 3rd in western canada, placing me in the top ten across canada for the competition. Not too shabby.

9. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Maths and Logic: B+
    18th/19th Century Lit: A
    Modern Philosophy: A-
    Art History: A
    Modern History: A
    Intro to Sociology: A+
    Intro to Political Science: A

My worst/hardest semester so far. I swear, I become more and more of an overachiever with each semester...

10. Mad Man L

German: C+
    English: B+
    Maths C: B+
    Chemistry: B+
    Music: A-
    Maths B: A

Best semester in quite a while.

11. kem

kem

In our school (and in the Finnish secondary education system in general) there are five terms. My second term grades:
    Multimedia 4 = 10
    A-English 5 = 10
    B-Swedish 4 = 10
    Art 4 (Architecture/Design/Fashion Design) = 10
    Maths 7 (Calculus, Derivative) = 9
    Health Education 1 = 9
    Philosophy 2 (Ethics) = 9

I'm quite proud. :slight_smile: 10 is the highest grade, 4 is the lowest. To be honest I don't quite understand why the scale is 4--10 instead of 1--7 or 1--10.

12. NickT

Last Semester:
    Intro to Software Engineering: B
    Hardware: B
    Organizational Communication: A
    Calc 2: C (GOOD GOD. It's like, Calc 1? Easy cake. Calc 2? OMG WTF IS THIS WHAT IS GOING OOOOON)

Next Semester:
    Intro to Game Design
    Game Modification
    Database Systems
    Managing in Organizations
    Computer Graphics