1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Religion Do You Belong To?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XxToshixX, Jul 23, 2010.

?

What Religion Do You Belong To?

1. Agnostic

25 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Atheist

41 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Buddhist/Taoist

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Christian - Catholic

14 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Christian - LDS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Christian - Protestant

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  7. Christian - Other

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. Hindu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jewish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Islam

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. Spiritual but not religious

9 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. Religious Humanism

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  13. Satanism

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  14. Wicca

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  15. Other

16 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. starfish

To those going on that Atheism is not a religion, quit being so damn pedantic. Its inclusion is apropos because it is a negative assertion which precludes the existence of a god. Selecting none lacks any assertion about the existence of a god. To draw any conclusion in that case would be a fallacy.

I place myself into the other camp. I don't believe in a god, but I don't preclude the existence of one either. My belief is that life as we know it is not the only type of life in the universe. The universe is a very large and complex place. There are parts of the universe that we just can not perceive there maybe life in those places. I also believe that while unlikely and rare it is possible for use to transform into those life forms. That we have had interactions with those life forms in the past and that is the basis for religion as we know it. I can't say where they intentional interacted with us or if the interaction was unintentional and incidental to something they were doing. I do believe that is possible for us to understand what is going on and to drive our interaction with it. That all it is requires is an open mind and a commitment to the pursuit of knowledge. I don't feel right calling it a religion, as it is more of a meta-religion.

2. RaRa

No religion, so what would that be??

I just put agnostic. :/

3. blankpaper

I'm an atheist however I practice meditation and study the philosophies of Buddhism

4. Lady Macbeth

I'm an atheistic LaVeyan Satanist.
    Seriously.

5. koolman957

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im catholic, but not for long, i'm going to become atheist when my parents get off my back

6. partietraumatic

after a while of not being sure what to put i opted for 'other'. I was going to put spiritual, but i don't like the connotations that has.

I believe in god, but i don't subscribe to a religion specifically, because i don't like the necessary assertion that many of them have, that other religions's ideas of god are wrong. Ultimately i believe that if you lead a good life, god will love you and accept you into heaven. It is not important what religion you follow, or even that you follow one atall, just as it is not important what race, sexuality etc you are.

However, though i don't follow one myself, i believe strongly in the value of religion. It can give people a good moral and ethical code. Religion can provide purpose for people, or provide them with a sense of community.

As with anything of course, there are a minority of fools who take it too far and use it as a method to persecute people. However, it does annoy me when some people use that as a stick to beat religion as a concept with, and declare it evil, since the for the vast majority of religious people, it enriches their life, and they try and lead good lives because of it.

7. confusedgirl

nothin but dry desert here no beach either
    well I was born a christian but I've kind of lost my faith in it so I belong to no religon really it's actually quite comfortable for me

8. MusicIsLife

I was raised Catholic, but I rejected that religion several years ago and now I'm Solitary Wicca :slight_smile:

9. CatLaughs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Born and raised Catholic its sooo true once a catholic always a catholic.... even if you dont want to be anymore. I really want to check out buddhism.

10. Winny719

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I like the way you think LOL

----------

I'm open to all religion. I was raised Roman Catholic I respect my church but to be honest I don't believe we have to be a part of organized religion. I believe we have the option to grow up and figure out what it is we really believe in. Yes I believe in G*D, But I will never ask for forgiveness for being who he made me.

11. partietraumatic

This is called Pascal's Wager.

The french philosopher Pascal stated that out of your two options to believe in god or not, you may as well believe. If he exists then you gain entry to heaven, if he doesn't, then there is no afterlife, and you have lost nothing.

However sadly it doesn't quite hold up, as people have pointed out, god would know if you were only believing in him by default :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Severed Serenity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was dedicated United when I was first born, baptised Catholic when I was 7, and then dedicated myself into Wicca 3 or 4 years ago. I don't know what that technically makes me, but my beliefs are solely Wiccan.

13. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted Wiiccan, but I'm actually more old-school Pagan than Wiccan really. Either way that was closest on the poll for me x

14. dude99

dude99 Guest

Used to be catholic, baptist and pentecostal but now agnostic.

15. 507bro

I am a Buddhist one thing I like about my religion is that we do not condemned being gay.
    also it pretty peaceful religion.

#95 507bro, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  16. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

[​IMG]

17. 507bro

the church of the flying spaghetti monster
    [​IMG]

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I'll be as pedantic as I want when the language is incorrect. Like I said in my previous post, it's like saying bald is a hair color when it just isn't. Bald is lack of hair. Atheism is lack of belief in a deity/deities. And like I said before you could simply pick none and then elaborate on why you chose it. All this talk about assertions and such doesn't really have any bearing on the point. I'm not interested in arguing it any further and the thread shouldn't be derailed anymore over it.

#98 Phoenix, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  19. Jeremy

I believe the Earth was created by various debris in our galaxy when the Sun was formed by hydrogen gases. I believe man was created by an excruciatingly slow process of evolution. I believe God was a concept created to explain unexpected or seemingly illogical situations. I don't mean to offend; that's just what I believe. xD

20. Stuie

I think I'd have to say apathetic agnostic. I used to be much more of an atheist but now I think agnosticism is the only real logical choice. However at the end of the day, I don't care at all as it plays absolutely no part in my life or moral code.