1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study Abroad (University)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iLambedil, Jan 17, 2010.

1. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Since I made a post about doing high school exchange I'm interested in people's experiences with studying abroad in university.

I'm a linguistics major at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver and I'm doing a 2 semester (year long) study abroad program at the Universitat de les Illes Balears in Spain, studying Spanish and Catalan History and Language.

Have any of you participated in study abroad programs or interested in doing study abroad? If so, where did you study? What did you study? If you are interested in doing it, what do you want to study and where?

2. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I'm planning out a study abroad! I'm a Chemical Engineering major going to school at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY and I'll be going to Denmark Technical Institute this upcoming fall semester. I won't be focusing on anything special while I'm abroad, pretty much all the classes I'm taking are just going to be making requirements for my curriculum back home. I'll be going over at the latest in August and staying until the end of January.

I'm terribly excited to get it all started up. I'm planning on traveling around Europe during the winter break, and I might be coming up earlier in the summer to either work or just be there.

3. AllSmiles

You know I like this, Chaz! :grin:

4. Hoppip

I'm still in high school. I want to major in Linguistics (but I have to settle for French). I want to study abroad somewhere in France. I've been learning French for five years, so hopefully by my junior year of university I should be proficient enough to not die in France. :'D

5. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Nohtanaes,

Why do you say you have to settle for French? Have you though of maybe doing an exchange program after high school? Are you a senior or a junior? You don't have to settle for anything! If you want to study linguistics, then study linguistics! You are located in Colorado? Are you looking to go to school somewhere in Colorado or are you open to other universities? Are you familiar with linguistics? Which area do you like? I could give you great recommendations of schools that would specialize in your area.

For example, the University of Washington has a great Lingusitics program with an excellent sub-field in Romance Linguistics. You could do both French and Linguistics! Let me know if you have any questions! Don't settle! I think it is great you are learning French and love it, but it is a pretty competitive language, especially in North America as many people, like you, fall in love with it and learn it!

----------

Not to discourage you, nohtanaes, but I've met people who have degrees in French and even studied abroad for a semester, and their French is complete crap and incomprehensible! On the other hand, I have met people who did a year abroad as high school exchange students (living with host families and not studying with other people from their country) and their French is amazing, a few I've met have native like accents!

#5 iLambedil, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
  6. SolitaryKnight

I've done two study abroad programs, both of them were in Greece. The first one was purely for my courses at university that I earned credit for. We went from Athens to Corinth, Sparta, Olympia and Delphi and several other places. Since my degree was in Ancient History, we visited all the sites and museums we could. Its much different to be at the place that you are studying than to look at it only in pictures in textbooks. It gave me a new appreciation of what I was studying.

The second program I went to the northern part of Greece, near Thessaloniki. There I was in a program to learn modern Greek and go on tours to famous sites in the north. While not as exhilerating as my first trip, it was still amazing since I met lots of interesting people from all over the world and saw some interesting places that I wouldn't otherwise have seen.

My experiences abroad were absolutely amazing and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

7. Hoppip

The only school in Colorado that has linguistics as a major is CU Boulder. That's $26,000 a year (read: too much for me), it's full of pot-smoking hippies, and the cost of living there is insanely high. I'm going to be doing French Emphasis on Secondary Teaching at a different school, so I'll basically already have a double major (and I'm going to try to fit in a Writing minor, and maybe even do the Honors program).

I'm not leaving Colorado unless it's for France.

EDIT: My main thing is that I want to perfect my French and English (writing) skills. I want to teach both of them and/or EFL in France.

8. TyraBanksIsFierce

I've always wanted to study in Canada(Toronto) but I guess the reality is I wouldn't be able to afford it. :frowning2:

So, realistically i'd probably go study in Australia, in one of the East coast cities :slight_smile:

9. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

This saddens me....but if this is what you want to do then go for it! But we need more LINGUISTS! Why don't you want to leave CO?

10. Hoppip

I'm "economically disadvantaged." I also like my family too much, and I have my heart set on the school I'm going to. Besides, I dislike non-Colorado states anyway.

11. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Well goodluck studying abroad with that attitude....you'll have to get over the family closeness if you are going to survive living abroad! All the people I knew who were way close with their family and did exchange with me, either were miserable the whole time and stayed on line all the time, or they left and went home...

12. littledinosaurs

I haven't studied abroad yet, but I will soon!!
    Over this summer I am going to France for an intensive French Language program! It should be really awesome because a lot of kids from different countries will be going to the same city. I believe my school will be the only school from the US and the idea is that us students will have to use French to communicate because it will be our only common language. I am really pumped to go and I know that I'll learn so much. It will also be a great experience to not only learn french culture, but about the cultures of all the other students! :slight_smile:

13. BrownBoi89

Hey Etienne!

I too am from UBC! I leave the day the Olympics start for my exchange program and I will be studying for one semester at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia. My main reason for going on exchange is to meet people, to travel, and to experience living on my own away from my family and on campus. As much as I love my family, I'm kinda getting sick of living with them lol. So this will be a nice change. I'm super excited! (!)

14. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Awesome Brownboi!

Have a great time abroad!

15. donnie5

I'm in nursing school right now in Nebraska but I plan on moving to Britain after at some point to study language casually, then I plan on joining the peace corps. I'm requesting to be stationed in eastern Europe.

16. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Eastern Europe, you'll go to Romania most likely!

17. donnie5

Yes, A woman from my college came here from Romania the language is very beautiful I speak Spanish so at least I have on latin based language in my repertoire to help me with learning another one though I heard from her that it is closer to Italian

18. Eleanor Rigby

I studied for one year in the UK at Durham's university when I was 22 as an ERASMUS student. And then I did a part of my teacher's training as an exchange student at Worcester university when I was 25.
    And if I ever get the opportunity to work in a primary school in the UK, or in any other english speaking country, I will seize it. Living in the UK has been the best experiences of my life. Now, everytime I set a foot in the UK, I feel at home, and that's a very nice feeling.

By the way Sean, your french is great and I am sure you would already be able to live in France without problems.

19. Meropspusillus

I'm currently planning on studying abroad in East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania). My college has a program there that's quite good, and I really, really want to see the Serengeti.

Now I just have to get into the program.

20. olides84

I graduated from UCLA. While there, I did an exchange program at the Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien (Economics University of Vienna) in Austria. While I never really got the hang of German--I had never taken it until the summer before I went--my studies were in English and I was able to take a number of interesting courses. It was a great experience, and Vienna is such a beautiful city.

I'm sure my study abroad was instrumental in giving me the confidence to eventually move to Europe where I now live.