1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RaeofLite, Dec 14, 2009.

?

When/Where did you come out to the most people?

1. During a Holiday (ie: Christmas, Easter, Halloween, your country's holiday etc)

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. In a vehicle

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. At school/on campus

24 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. In a letter/email/Instant Message

35 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. Other

26 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. I just changed my style/look and people I know started clueing in

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. I haven't really come out yet, but I will!

15 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. Ralivar

I've only come out to one person and that was face to face, and I've written letters to give to my parents but at the moment are too terrified for me to actually give them to my parents.

2. Dr Acula

I came out to the most important people (family) in an email sent en-masse to all of them. Uni mates I told face to face, otherwise I just mention it in conversation if the chance crops up or they look on facebook.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

To one of my good friends in an IM.

4. Rygirl

I told my best friends over EC chat. Yes they are both here as well.

5. knight of ni

All the friends who I told, I did it face to face (some friends found out through the grapevine... to say that the news spread like wildfire is an understatement!).
    Told my parents over the phone, mostly because I'd cornered myself and the best way to stop them worrying was to tell the truth.
    Was once in a pub with a whole load of team-mates, and one of them said, "My housemate saw you at an LGBT party last night. Why would you be there?"
    I just said, "Why wouldn't I be there?" There was a moment's silence, and then one girl said, "Oh." The were a bit surprised, but they all reacted well.

6. littledinosaurs

Other: Facebook "Interested In"

7. riddlerno1

Everyone ive told has been in coffee shops or restaurants. Its sometimes the only way to get someone on their own!

8. Glunn11

The most significant coming out I had was with one of my best friends in his car in my driveway. :slight_smile:

9. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    email. i'm not proud, but i was at boarding school, and i didn't want to phone my mum because i was scared of getting my words mixed up. i was also afraid of the long pause at the other end of the line.

10. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I put holiday because that's when I came out to my mom and I feel like that's when I was really out to everyone (even though my dad and his whole family didn't know still :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) I came out to my mom on the 4th of July.

11. if i had a dime

well the whole 2 times i have come out the frist was via a habd written letter and the second was though text. I am better at doing it in a none face to face way don't have to see instant reactions.

12. AtomicCafe

I've only ever told one person, actually -- I was telling an old teacher of mine about a place I was volunteering at (focused on LGBT youth) and ended up actually using the words "I'm gay" for the only time in my life. That was over email. I chose the option that I just changed my dress/manner and people picked up on it since everyone just takes to assuming I'm gay. (There was no style change, however -- I've just always acted this way!)

13. Tom

Tom

I came out to my family and best friends face to face one day, and then the word spread but I dont know who it was who told everyone, but that doesnt really matter, all that matters is everyone knows and it was a pain free experience =]

14. alittlebit

I am sleeping with a guy who lives in my dorms and nobody knows about it. One day i got caught walking to my room in the morning with the previous night's clothes so i had to say I had stayed at a friends flat that night forcing myself to tell the flat owner where i had been. So my first coming out was face to face.

15. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was actually boiling water for pasta in my dorm when it hit me (strangely enough :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). The first person I told was via cellphone.

16. MrSmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to a couple people in October '08 and it was around Halloween. I made most of them promise that they wouldn't think of me any differently than what they did before I told them what I had to tell them. It started with two teachers I had in high school who ate very close and we still talk to this day. After that I told a very close friend through email and she said she was happy I told her. She also said she loved me and that was the first time she ever said it to me.

Next was my bestfriend of now 10 years... I was extremely scared to tell him and it took me about half an hour to spit it out. He told me he knew since 8th grade and I asked him why he didn't say anything. He said because he didn't want me to get mad at him for asking.

After that I told another close friend through text who said she'd love me no matter what.

I told a friend who is gay I knew since 9th grade through myspace and he said he knew since we first met. He told me he loved me and to leave the people who don't accept me behind.

Next was a girl I met my senior year in high school. She said she was shocked for some reason, but was very supportive and we've been good friends since. I told her girlfriend about 3 months.

I told my mom about a week before Halloween. I was so scared. I was in the kitchen and she walked in and I told her that I needed to tell her something. She said what and all I could say was "What if I told you that," over and over again. I started to cry and she told me that I could tell her anything. She held my hands and I was finally able to get out about an hour later.

She told me that she already knew and would always love me.

17. Apocalypte

The first friend I came out to - I told her while we were at the bar at a Metallica gig (we were both very drunk). That was June 2004, on my 20th birthday. Came out to most of the rest of my friends over the next while at college though.

18. bkwrm175

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I first came out to a guy I had met less than 48 hours before at a conference 3,000km away from home :slight_smile:. He was gay, it was like 1am, we were hanging out surfing facebook, and I just blurted out 'I'm gay...and I've never told anyone that before.' He was pretty shocked that I chose that time to come out, but it worked out great. Eight days after that I came out to my parents, and within a couple months was completely out.

It took 20 years to get that first toe out of the closet, but after that I burst the doors off!

19. Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth Guest

I didn't really realize it until I saw this thread, but I've come out to the most people in a car. Usually it's because we were talking one on one, and it was an opportunity for me to get it off my chest and not have to worry about other people hearing/listening in, or whatever. But I've told other people when I haven't been in a car, for the record.

20. RainInAfrica

Emailed my dad.