Saw some ECers at Pride today!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jennn

Why/what is such a big deal? I do think it's a tiny bit of an overreaction. And yeah.. it's great people support gay people, but why such a fuss about them doing so... it's making it out to be something huge, when surely it should be the norm.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't know how it is in your part of the world Jenn but here gay people are still not receiving the support that they need. Gay kids are still killing themselves, getting kicked out of their homes, fired from their jobs, ect. So until all those things stop, PFLAG is needed.

3. Jennn

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it includes friends.. I don't understand what they're doing. I was under the impression it supported the gay people and their families.. Or does the group protest and stuff?

#23 Jennn, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  4. Just Adam

JENN! no

beckys right we need help out there for people i just wish i had somthing as good around here. i support PFLAG any lgbt person should as far as im concerned as they care about you.

i love becky and what she does x

i just wish i could get to DC for that event :frowning2:

* random hug for becky*

5. Just Adam

pflag is support and advice for anyone really to help them understand come to terms and embrace lgbt family and friends :slight_smile:

6. Jennn

We do. There are LGBT groups all over the UK. Personally they make more sense to me, dealing with the people who need help.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it includes friends.. I don't understand what they're doing. I was under the impression it supported the gay people and their families..

Perhaps you're misunderstanding. The support is coming FROM the parents, families and friends of gays. And they provide support to gays, as well as providing information and support to (mainly) people who have recently discovered that somebody close to them is gay, and who have questions/concerns/doubts about what this might mean. I can't say as I know of somebody who went to PFLAG for information because a friend said they were gay - it's far more likely for a parent to go to PFLAG for support. However, it's not surprising at all to find friends of gays joining PFLAG to provide the support, rather than receive it.

Lex

8. Just Adam

i dont have anythign like that around here though, i wish i did it would help me and as lex says parents of lgbt kids

i would find that helpfull accepting family is important.

9. Just Adam

as usual lex you sum it up perfectly

10. Jennn

Yes you do. West midlands has a number of them..

11. Jennn

Ah. I see. That makes sense now. :slight_smile:

12. Just Adam

its actually quite a big area and i cant afford to keep traveling in it. i would have to go to birmingham.

13. pirateninja

We have FFLAG here in Blighty. And personally, I think that support for friends and family of gay people IS needed. In an idealistic world, parents and friends would be totally okay with gay people, but the world isn't ideal, so people can react badly to it. But do you know how we combat this? Education. And by having organisations like PFLAG/FFLAG the information IS out there and is accessible if a parent or friend has questions like "I know somebody close to me is gay. What do I do now?". I know for a fact that my Mom accessed info from the web when I first came out to her.

14. Dazed

Dazed Guest

im jealous of you people with pride events. i have found one in my state and its 4 hours away and would cost me 45 bucks just to go. but thats so cool that you saw ECers becky.

15. Ronnie92

Sounds good to me, I'll convince my Uncle to take me when I visit this time :wink:.

Gay uncle FTW.

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap

17. Lane

:icon_bigg We were very happy to see you marching in the parade Becky, we got there a little bit late and were worried we had missed you. But luckily we didn't. After you went by we both wondered if you realized it was us, glad you figured it out after a few moments.
    Our going to the parade was a very last minute plan on our part, in fact neither of us were going to go. But my aunt called and asked us to go with her, and I for one am very happy that I did. It was my first pride event, and more than likely it will not be my last. I was pleasantly surprised by the large number of churches in attendance supporting their LGBT members and the community, that was something I did not expect.

18. Amy

Amy

*coughs*SF Pride*coughs*

Aw, I can totally see that happening.

19. godfather

godfather Guest

That sounds awsome would be so good to see peopl!
    I went to one in London however i didn't know anyone and not many came to it :frowning2:
    GF

20. Jennn

I don't think support for friends is needed whatsoever. It's making a huge fuss- it makes it sound like we have some terminal illness or something, where the friends need support coping. It's a sexual orientation. Okay, the families might need support coming to terms with the fact their son/daughter is gay, I can understand that, but friends? It's ridiculous in my opinion.