1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you interested in the opposite sex before you knew you were gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Apr 9, 2009.

1. RainbowJay

I wasn't really attracted to boys, I usually stuck around them as a friend, I could find guys good looking, but not enough to actually have a crush on them

until I was about 11 or something (I actually dun remember the age), I never really felt anything with boys as I did with girls, and then I just thought I was weird to be attracted to the females, but it just sunk in :icon_wink

2. Coldflame

Not really. I once had a girlfriend in kindergarten, but I don't think that counts.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've never felt the same way about girls as I have about guys.

3. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I was in high school, I went through a period where I thought I was asexual. And it freaked me out.

My female friends would constantly talk about how cute other guys were, & they'd talk about dating, etc, but I never felt the same way. I found myself just agreeing with them whenever they commented on guys, and I felt so left out & confused because I didn't understand why I wasn't interested in boys & avoided discussions about sex.

It got even worse when my friends began sexual relationships. I went into a lengthy period of depression. I really did feel as though something was wrong with me & maybe I was destined to never have sex (which made the depression even worse because I started imagining my whole life never experiencing love).

In the end, I did date a couple of guys, but nothing sexual ever happened because I just didn't feel attracted to them in that way. Given that, the relationships didn't last overly long, but I was never upset when they ended.

This whole time, I knew that I liked being around certain girls. I experienced butterflies for the first time when one of them came up & put her arm around my shoulders. But I never picked up that it was actually an attraction that I was feeling.

It was only a few years after highschool, that I literally sat myself down & tried to sort out what was going on. It wasn't easy coming to terms with my feelings. To be honest, I was terrified when I realised I was a lesbian. But only then did I start noticing other women in a sexual way, & I immediately felt alot more comfortable & relieved that I finally knew why I felt so different to my friends about boys.

Not sure if any of that helped, but I figured I'd share my own experience in case it rings similar to what you're going through :icon_wink

4. Elven

To be honest.... I didn't have time to be intrested in the other sex, I wasnt confused about my sexuality for very long and although I didn't accept it straight away I was never truly attracted to the opposite sex...

5. VanceA

I don't feel that i was ever sexually attracted to females, but after high school i did try and pursue a relationship based on a close friends personality, it was a dumb thing to do, and didn't go anywhere, and looking back on it that should have been one of my 'red flag' moments that i was gay.

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I wasn't interested in romance full stop.

I used to think it was really stupid and sappy and believed that I would spend my teenage years just not caring. Looking back, I now think that's because I wasn't attracted to guys and hadn't realized that I was attracted to girls. So I thought I was attracted to neither, but that the right kind of feelings would come later / when I was older.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never had more than a fake crush on girls.

8. twixy30

i just recently can out as being bi but i always woundered why i thought Girls were so hot now i know

9. Mugwump

It does... thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

10. cm25

cm25 Guest

well at first, 8-9 ish, i started noticing that i liked girls, in a weird way though. it never seemed that i could picture myself with a girl, i always saw them as friends. so then i became very confused until i was about 12. at 12, i noticed that my relationship with guys was different than other guys. So really, i wasnt interested in girls in THAT way, but i was/am guys

11. J Snow

I was interested in dating girls. I was always kind of the good guy though. I always heard guys talking about how a girl had a rocking body or what they would "do to her," and it just didn't connect to me. I was like, who cares about that stuff? Isn't the person inside more important.

Now when I think about guys it makes sense though lol

12. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

I really wanted to date this one guy who I had a total crush on. I wasn't really attracted to him sexually, as I wasn't with any other guy after I got over him, but I thought he was really funny and had pretty eyes. But guys just don't do it for me I guess lol

13. maverick

I dated the opposite sex for about ten years, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I was interested. It was mostly half-hearted camouflage or earnest attempts to escape reality, depending on the situation.

Mostly I felt romantic attraction to both sexes growing up, I just focused my reciprocation on the men and assumed whatever I felt for women was strong friendship.

But whenever a guy got me in a compromising position, it was like having someone throw a bucket of cold water in my face. I pretty much realized I might be not-oriented-to-dudes when I thought about how much I had to fake "getting into it" with guys. No matter how much I liked a guy as a friend, they could not get me wound up in bed.

At first I thought it was just because the guys I was sleeping with weren't that good, but I recognized that their basic moves were sound, they just weren't doing a damned thing for me.

^ Me too.

Unfortunately, personality isn't everything. Genitals do come into play at some point. :lol:

14. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Yeah I used to think I was straight (When I was alot younger but I sometimes liked guys too :s), and at some point I thought I was bi but now I just feel different about things ... I don't even know if I like either gender in that way anymore but I just describe my orientation as gay or gay asexual.

15. I had a few (kind of dysfunctional) relationships with guys. The very last of which was with a guy whose personality I was very much in love with. And he admitted to me later that he was going to ask me to marry him. If I hadn't realized at the time that I did that I'm gay....well, I'd be engaged to be married right now. The thought is both sad and terrifying.

16. Dalmatian

I was never attracted to girls. In my preteens I knew I was going to start dating soon and once marry; that wasn't a conscious thought, it was just so. I had no idea how that would work, how I would find someone attractive and why on Earth I would ever want to kiss a girl, but I understood that it will come with time. And yet, at that very age, I already had crushes on guys and never realized it. So the teens went by and I thought "ok, I'm not that interested, there's plenty of time to mature". Then I went to university and suddenly everybody around me was in relationships. So I thought "ok, so I'm asexual, my libido is extremely low, everything from AVEN just fits, ok, great". And so I graduated, found a job and life went on. Then one day a friend sent me on a blind date with a girl. And I felt like crying and vomiting and screaming all at once. Then I went on another blind date and I thought I would die later. I was a lost cause.. beautiful girls both times and I.. just.. a lost cause. All through all those years, preschool, school, college and later, I practically continuously had a crush on some boy. And never realized it till a year and a half ago. And now it seems right. Now I see why on Earth or any other planet I would want to kiss a guy :slight_smile:

17. whatsnormal7

i thought i was interested in guys but i think that when I thought about sex i would focus on me instead of him... yeah i did think i was asexual for a little then I realized that i would love to focus on both me and the other person if that person was a girl

18. tiredofsleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope... got drunk and made out with a few girls in effort of turning straight, and for that reason only really...

Even before I had my first, and only official, gf in like 8th grade (as official as that gets lol), I knew I was gay by then (couldn't stop checking out some of the other guys in the locker room after PE, does that make me a perv? always wondered that... ), and it messed with me because she REALLY liked me and would always try starting a makeout session with me (slut! JK JK!) and I played along a couple times when I ran out of excuses, and wondered how anybody could possibly like the act of kissing afterwords... then I found out I liked kissing boys a couple years later... I really felt bad not being able to tell her why I didn't want to be bf/gf because we always got along well and everything, she asked if I was gay after we graduated HS but I was still a mile deep in denial (somehow), she deserves to know now I think... she reallllly liked me for several years... ugggh I feel shady lol...

19. Bosco

Yea with my ex. She was the best and I really loved her. Just not in a sexual way though so maybe I was mistaking it for a romance when it was more of a friendship (or even a sibling) kind of love.

20. Lotty

Yeah, I know when a boy's attractive, but I don't feel anything for them. During the holidays there was this guy, and I would've been into him, and we kissed, but it meant nothing to me, so I gently let him down. Afterwards. I felt so guilty. But before I realized I was gay, no, I haven't been attracted to guys. Yeah, I pretended to like someone, just because everyone seemed to have a crush and I didn't want to be left out.