1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

books

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sarah, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Sarah

hey you guys. im out of books to read and im suffering...lol

anyone have good recomendations?

2. Shevanel

The Hitchiker's Guide To the Galaxy and the rest of the Series by Douglas Adams. Its probably the best book ever lol.

There are like thousands of books out there. Just head to your local bookstore and browse :slight_smile: you could ask someone who works there for reccomendations too :slight_smile:

3. antarranger

Lord of the rings was good it's prety long though. Story is alot better then the moives not that the moives where bad

4. Greggers

I have a few :slight_smile:

1) Haroun and the Sea of Stories - BEST. BOOK. EVER. Its almost like a mix of a chronicles of narnia with Douglas Adams? Its very well written and smart, but it is very funny and witty. Its VERY random though, so you have to be a big thinker for this one!

2) Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series - Douglas Adams is one of my many heroes (but one of my only straight male ones :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) He writes the funniest books you will EVER read, but its very intelligent humor for the most part. Defnintly a good read, but you might want to read it slow and make sure you get all the epic puns :slight_smile: (WARNING: BRITISH HUMOR)

3) The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime - This one has quite alot of swearing near the end, but its an amazing story through the most unique point of view. Its via an autistic child who has trouble feeling emotions. Its very, very, very good though if you dont mind some swearing?

4) The eyre affair - This one is another Britishy book, but its easier to handle than Douglas Adams. Its very very funny, and a good book for book lovers (its about books, essentially)

5. Shevanel

It really all depends on the kind of book you like to read. What are some books you already read and enjoyed?

6. Sarah

i NEED to go. but my parents are never home and when they are its to late to go. soooo ive been naggin at them to friggin take me! mayb this weekend. ugh i wish i could drive!

7. Greggers

OH OH OH!

I didnt add in....

Agatha Christie. Shes the worlds best selling author period other than The Bible. I started reading her because of Doctor Who, but it was NO let down.

They are all crime novels, quite short and very VERY on the edge of your seat :slight_smile: Its classic crime, and its brilliant stuff.

Opening line from her book im currently reading: "Thats Queer" i ejaculated suddenly beneath my breath" :slight_smile: The books are older, so you get old English language in it heh

8. StrataScribe

Haha. I was just about to recommand Sherlock Holmes. I'm in the middle of reading the complete collection and I chuckle everytime the phrase "I ejaculated!" comes up. I've always gotta stop and remind myself, "This is 1880 London, ejaculate means 'exclaimed'; they aren't talking about the good ol' money shot!"

9. Sarah

lets see, um
    Twilight series and The Host-stephanie meyer
    Gone- by i forget who
    Beastly-
    Keeping You a Secret-Id tell you the author cuz i usually keep tat with me cuz it comforts me but a friend is borrowing it
    Uninvited-
    Glass, Crank, Identical-Elin Hopkins
    I heart you, you haunt me-
    criss cross-
    ransom
    HALLOWMERE series-

i like a lot of kinds of book. i mostly like fantasy and stuff

10. Iceeh

Omigosh, yes! This is one of my favorite books ever! I definitely reccomend it. :slight_smile:

11. Greggers

Sarah, go read the book i said was my 1).

Its a fantasy, and i think you would REALLY like it :slight_smile: alot alot

12. Sarah

lol. ok!

13. donnie5

omg !! me and my best girlfriend always trade books!! you have to read "perks of being a wall flower" im serious read i promise youll love it!!

14. Greggers

Oh yes, 5awesomegays recommended that so i must also read that :slight_smile:

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seconded! I love that book.
    And I've been trying to find a copy of Keeping You A Secret forever and a day, but haven't been able to find one. The author is Julie Ann Peters.

16. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

We had to study this book for English in year 10 and I hated it! Sorry Greg!

Personally I'm in love with the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. I also really like book by Steve Berry particularly The Third Secret, his books are quite a bit like the DaVinci Code though.

Also the Windsinger Series by William Nicholson are really good if you like fantasy storys.

And I can give you a really really long list of forensic crime books but I won't so pretty much anything by Patrica Cornwell or Kathy Reichs are really really awesome!!

Oh and if you like true stories I just finished one called Fatwa: Living with a death treat by Jacky Trevane. It is about a woman who marries and Egyption guy and has children to him but he abuses her so she tries to leave but because of the laws in Egypt now if he finds her she can be sentenced to death. It's really really good I read it all in one day because I couldn't put it down.

And yes I am nerd who loves reading lol :grin:

17. Greggers

No problem, its definitely not everyones cup of tea :slight_smile:

Im planning to read "Hes just not that into you" next cause im in LOVE with the movie

18. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just got done reading The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks, and I only just started it on Tuesday evening. Though I guess it might not be to everyone's tastes, I really liked it. Actually, anything by Russell Banks should be good - he's one of my favorite authors. Also, have you tried Lolita? It's amazing, and anyone who enjoys language should love that book.

19. Axon

Well, if you're up to reading a book containing about 1000 pages, then I reccommend you read:

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (ISBN: 0451225244)

Almost everyone I know that has read this book says he or she loves it.

20. biisme

Okkkk....

Series (fantasy)
    - The Named : Marianne Curley
    - The Abhorsen Trilogy: Garth Nix
    - Silver on the Tree : Susan Cooper
    - Anite Blake...(some sort of person) : Laurell K. Hamilton

Authors
    - Jodi Picoult (The Pact, My Sister's Keeper)
    - Catherine Anderson (romance)
    - Sarah Dessen (The Truth about Forever, Just listen, This Lullaby)
    - Alex Sanchez

I will be back with more later...I'm having trouble recalling them off the top of my head. I need to go look at a bookshelf.