1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kevinx519, Nov 4, 2008.

1. xequar

What'll probably happen is that the marriages will be converted to Domestic Partnerships, since Cali already had those before the ruling. There are still a couple avenues in California by which this could be contested, as well. The California Supreme Court could rule that this amendment was technically a REVISION to the state constitution, which would mean the process used (voter initiated amendment) would be illegal and would thus render the amendment invalid. Or, we could sue yet again. Since the ruling explicitly stated that sexual orientation deserves highest scrutiny for discrimination and also stated that whatever NAME and LEGAL INSTITUION the straights get, gays must have equal access. The Cali Supreme Court could rule that if the straights want marriage to themselves, then NO ONE can have it.

Personally, that's the one I would like to see. Government has no business touching marriage, given that it's a religious institution. If people want government recognition of their relationships, gay or straight, let them do it through Domestic Partnerships. No church should be allowed to legally wed people.

2. JayC

JayC Guest

I have found that most people i know don't have a prob with gay people but they will act like it cuz their parents are 100% against it. BUT their parents wont live forever so it's only a matter of time!!! hopefully less than 13 years cuz i want to be married when i 30

3. lexie

:bang: unbelievable.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the saying goes, we may have lost the battle, but we haven't lost the war.

Regroup.
    Refight.

Lex

5. Nugget

The fact that the overturn in June nullified the marriage licenses in San Fransisco, only to have the marriage licenses of 18,000 couples nullified (including the ones in San Fransisco) really, really pisses me off.

On a slight positive note, Connecticut will legalize gay marriage on November 12, 2008, and on January 1st, 2009, Norway will join the party.

6. Mickey

Don't worry...there's gonna be many law suits coming. People who's marriages are "up for grabs" will NOT sit by & watch this happen.
    The U.S. Supreme Court is going to have to really deal with this. IMO,between the court & the Federal Gov't.,the U.S. Constitution (NOT state by state) is going to have to make the ultimate decision. I believe if this happens,we will win,everywhere in the U.S.
    The U.S. Constitution IS on OUR side because,as it says,EVERY AMERICAN is entitled to
    LIFE,LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS.( EQUALITY)

This is my opinion,but having talked to MANY different people,on this issue,most all tend to agree. Keep the faith!

#46 Mickey, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It's absolutely illegal to nullify something due to a later law passed...

The constitution of the United States states that anything before a law is passed that was made illegal by the law is still legal.

8. Mick

Mick Guest

I can't believe this. This is just really horrible. This is really sad news. I thought that the people over the in CA would actually definitely vote no on it. Well in a week from today, same sex marriage will be legalized in CT. CT is not that far away from me either. It's like a 3 hour drive.

9. EM68

I am so pissed right now. I was out for lunch today and was in the car on the way back to work. We were listening to Rush and he announced that Prop 8 passed. The 2 people that I was with both said alright and cheered. I felt soo sick. My stomach sank. I felt like saying something but I was too much of a coward to say anything. I feel bad now that I did not stand up. If it was another issue I would have spoken my mind. :bang: :frowning2:

10. Malchik89

The people you were with kinda suck

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    (*hug*)

12. Seanboy23

Well, I just heard that Gloria Allred is holding a live press conference where she's announcing that she's filing a lawsuit to challenge Prop 8.

By itself that doesn't mean too much, since she's notorious for jumping into every legal spotlight she can find in order to rake in $$ and be in the pulic eye. HOWEVER, she IS a famous attorney, and every known public figure who steps up to challenge the Prop 8 outcome can only help, right?

Also, it's very swift (almost instant) evidence that this fight is far, far from over.

13. jazzrawr

I'm so angry that Prop 8 passed. And I don't even live in the states!
    This whole thing over gay marriage makes me feel incredibly lucky to live where I do.
    I'm so sorry that this passed...I really wish me and my entire group of friends could have been American citizens for just 2 hours, so we could have voted against prop 8!
    :frowning2:

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I am so pissed right now. I was out for lunch today and was in the car on the way back to work. We were listening to Rush and he announced that Prop 8 passed. The 2 people that I was with both said alright and cheered. I felt soo sick. My stomach sank. I felt like saying something but I was too much of a coward to say anything. I feel bad now that I did not stand up. If it was another issue I would have spoken my mind.

You can always use us. "I know some gay people, and I think it sucks that they're not allowed to get married."

Lex

15. Bunny

Seconded.

16. Nodnarb

My attempt at optimism; per DailyKos:

The No on 8 Campaign has released the following statement;

So, it may not be over yet. And I'm sure there will be legal challenges. It may be awhile before we find out for sure.

But in the event that it is a loss for No on 8, we have to come back stronger. We can't let this loss get us down, or make us feel defeated. We need to take the anger and disappointment we're all feeling right now and channel it in to what will surely be another battle in the 2010 election, so this never happens again. And as Martin pointed out, time is on our side. The electorate is shifting towards support of gay marriage. We will win in the end, it is just a matter of how quickly we get there.

17. sdc91

I read a comment on a story, in which a man said that he talked to his elderly neighbor who lived downstairs from him. She told him that she voted "Yes" so he could keep his right to marry.

Isn't that sad?

18. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Well I'm not surprised :frowning2:

19. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I found an article on MSN about Prop 8, and it gives a little bit of hope:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27557521/?GT1=43001

The section of the article covering the Pro-8 people is nearly sickening, but there's still a chance. Prop 8 can still be overturned, and the marriage disease is slowly spreading across the northeast. New York, New Hampshire, and Vermont can't be far behind.

20. sdc91

Time to crunch some numbers.

Outstanding absentee ballots: 3,500,000 (estimated)

Current CNN standings, 99% reported:
    YES 5,344,012 (52%)
    NO 4,854,132 (48%)

Difference = 5,344,012 - 4,854,132 = 489,880

3,500,000 / 2 = 1,750,000 (to divide votes in half Yes vs. No)

Number of votes NO needs from absentee ballots to win: 1,750,000 + 489,880 + 1 = 2,239,881

% = (2,239,881/3,500,000)*100 = 63.9966%

WE NEED 64% OF THE VOTE FROM THE ABSENTEE BALLOTS TO WIN.

Is it possible? Maybe, but not likely.