1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to EC 2.0!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! This is a great update! But I noticed an issue in the anonymous section. A thread was posted in duplicate, but one was anonymous and the other was not (see image attached, if I managed to find out how that function works hehe). It is the exact same post, I don't know if it was a mistake by the user, but then, it wouldn't have appeared in the anonymous section??? It only happened with that specific thread so far, the other threads posted today in that section are completely anonymous.

2. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here! In fact, I like to be able to see people's age (when they made that option available). When trying to help someone, I find it useful to know if you're speaking to a 15 years old or a 45 years old... Unfortunately, since you have to make your birthday public for people to know your age, I'm afraid many people will prefer to avoid giving out that information. Plus, you've got to click on the person's name to see their age, which I think should be listed along with the other information under your avatar. It's not like these are big priorities, but I think they are quite practical. :slight_smile:

3. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

The forum looks fabulous, guys~!! All your efforts are hugely appreciated and this update was most certainly worth the lil' wait~! :clap:

#43 Bobsleigh1, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely agree with this. I find that feature creepy.

5. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same. I find it really helpful when giving advice as well. And I also agree it should still be placed under the avatar instead of having to mouse over/click on the name.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely going to take some getting used to, but we'll get there eventually. I noticed my avatar is smaller and blurry. It's almost 4 years old, so it may be time for me to upload a new one. Avatar 2.0.

7. Really

Are the links gone from before? I just noticed on a Wall/Profile post where there should be some linked text, it's just text.

Also, when we tap/click on someone's username, does it have to pop-up that box? Can it just go straight to their page?

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It also looks like photos from he old site are gone too.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is excellent! :slight_smile: Thanks everybody!

10. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a huge fan of change, but I think the new version has a couple better features.
    I have noticed though that my signature picture disappeared, leaving only [sigpic][/sigpic] in its place. I removed that bit and just went with the plain text signature. Thanks to all for the trouble you all went to to enhance our experiences and great job with all the new features. It will take some getting used to but overall, a great job! I tried adding an emoticon to this post, but the icons are tiny and stretched. Not sure if it's due to my screen resolution, as Windows 10 was installed on my work pc, and everything looks stretched. But that's a personal issue, nothing to do with the site :slight_smile:

11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's going to be a little odd to get used to, but such is the way of life. Things change and adapt rather than remaining stagnant forever.

I do notice that icons require moderation now, it's a shame it's going to take longer but I can understand the reasons behind it. Somebody could literally just post up whatever they wanted for the world to see prior, and some take things a little too far. It's a shame since I just tried to swap mine out, sorta shrunk and wasn't animating, so I was going to use this adorable cat drawing I just found on google.

Oh well. I liked the general blockier look of the old one as a personal aesthetic preference, pixelated emoticons included, but text formatting showing up without a preview/refresh is quite nice. It'll be a while until I get the hang of it, though.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those who like to search/use EC on your phone, you should find it so much better.

As Martin pointed out in his original post, there are still some things to do and you can all help by continuing to highlight any issues you find in this thread.

13. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting, we used to have the feature on the last forum and disabled it. I'll have to ask the others about this! Thanks for the feedback.

14. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also agree that having the "last known activity" posted on each user's Profile page is disturbing. Additionally, the Recent Activity tab on the Profile page should only be accessible to the individual user (plus the Staff, of course). Why would any user need to trace the exact footsteps of another user on EC?

Also, when we had the lit or unlit green dots showing when a user was online, there was also a dot on each user's Profile page. Now there doesn't seem to be a clear way to tell if a fellow user is online/still online when going to their Profile page. Can the same 'flashing' green dot feature that shows if a user is online next to their posts also be used on each Profile page?

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are probably, conservatively, a thousand individual settings, and with the level of customization we have, many features impact other features.

There are a lot of important issues addressed here which we are either already aware of and looking at, or are adding to the list to be addressed. Birthdays and user activity are both ones I know for sure are on the list.

More updates soon. We ran Dillon (the engineering wizard that made all of this customization possible) ragged over the weekend and he's taking some much needed rest, but will be doing the next round of changes and mods in the next day or so.

16. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another thing I've noticed (well, the slightly OCD me) is the logo on the tabs and bookmarks. Instead of "ec" it's just the internet logo. I've gotten used to the EC logo on the tabs :grin: lol

17. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is being looked into so that tracking, to that level, is disabled/anonymised by default.

However, in the meantime the dropdown box when hovering over your username in the top right has an option called 'Privacy': https://forum.emptyclosets.com/index.php?account/privacy
    On there, you can tweak the 'last seen', and overall privacy settings, for your account as you see fit. As we settle in, we're going to find that certain features previously set by staff have now been passed on to member's to regulate, and vice versa. This would appear to be one such case.

I'm still not a fan of members having to consciously go and disable it though, so we'll examine this and see what changes we can make.

Not to undermine what I just said above, but wouldn't the 'last seen' message tell you this? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you're on their profile page and the 'last seen' is showing some recent activity, then they're online.

The only way this wouldn't be the case is if they are 'invisible' (i.e. appearing offline despite being online). In that instance, we would have to change the setting so that we forcibly show people as being online, which I would be hesitant to do. In other words, how much somebody is able to see you're online depends on how much you want those people to see. Whether it's a green dot, or a vague or detailed 'last seen' count, it should have the same effect when inside the profile page.

#57 Martin, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  18. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Martin,

Not necessarily. Someone could be online, but not active for a considerable period of time (i.e.doing something non-EC related), so the "last seen" activity wouldn't show any new updates/changes.

As far as the green dot on the Profile page goes, I would expect it to reflect the same user setting as the green dot on forum posts - i.e. if the user chooses to not show that they are online, then there would not be a flashing dot on the user's Profile page any more than there would be on their forum posts. If that makes any sense...

#58 Quantumreality, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  19. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still a little confused, so apologies if I'm still missing the point! :blush:

If they're not active for a considerable period of time on EC, then the last seen would still indicate this, would it not? For example, clicking on a random member in this thread just told me they were last seen 8 hours ago, whereas a member recently online was viewing a thread x minutes ago. I'm still a little unsure about what the green symbol shows as an advantage over the last seen option? I agree the little green dot looked good in profiles, so I too am hopeful it can be put back there, but I also found it wasn't a reliable way for me to check a member was online. For example, vBulletin would allow a member's green light to stay on up until an hour after their last activity, so it would often state they're online when they actually wandered away as much as 59 minutes ago. In comparison, the last activity on vB would say they hadn't had any activity for x amount of time, which allowed me to see they had infact gone and done something else.

FYI Others: Those who've asked a question which hasn't been answered, I'm not ignoring them. I'm just answering as and when I have answers to them, so they're still on my radar! :slight_smile: You're all raising interesting suggestions and questions, but as we're all still learning the basics it's taking a bit of research and enquiring to answer some of them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From the bit of research I have just done, it appears there's a specific setting which needs to be applied for gifs to work across the site. It's one to pass on to the tech admin. :slight_smile:

My own avatar is meant to be a gif, and it seems to work when I access my profile page. There just seems to be a weird setting stopping it applying in the postbit!