1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to EC 2.0!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, a lot has changed! I've been a member for a little over three years and just logged in again... wow. It looks a lot cleaner and fresher!

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This looks a-ma-zing

Edit: The only problem that I've encountered is when you try to visualize your posts it only shows the ones after the update and wall messages / PMs.

#62 andimon, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pre-migration posts under vBulletin are still being reindexed for this new platform. To ensure that the site could come online sooner rather than later, it is being done as a background process without impacting server performance. As a result, you'll find that search results, post counts etc are all going to be a bit off for the next day or so whilst that reindexing occurs.

It should all be integrated properly once that finishes - fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

4. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There may be formatting differences between vB and XF which is causing old links to no longer display as clickable, but a member's ability to post links still remains. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that's the one thing that annoys me quite a bit too. It seems to be a standard feature of XF, and I believe is referred to as a 'profile card'. The idea of it is that it's meant to save time by allowing you to pick whether you want to access their profile, media albums, direct PM link etc. I'm hoping it's just something that will take some getting used to.

I haven't looked into how easy it would be to remove, so I can't make any promises on the feasibility of it in future, but if it does become burdensome and something the community just can't get used to then it's certainly a fix worth considering. Again, I'm just not sure on the logistics of that at this stage.

5. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it just me or have the links to all my previous posts disappeared?

6. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i know there was a lot of hard work that went into changing the site and it looks great, some cool new features.

But I really like having my profile details up next to my name (Gay, out to everyone, etc...)

What happened to that?

And what happened to signatures??

Also a lot of the Pride emojis are completely gone....on this LGBT website, I find that a bit disappointing.

8. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing you are accessing via a mobile device? If so, that displays information in a different manner than a desktop, due to the restrictions within screen display. The postbit takes up quite a bit of room on a screen view, so having it display on a small mobile screen would cause spacing issues. To maximise usability, the forum view is quite a bit different to suit the logistics of mobile/cell devices.

When accessing the site via a computer, profile fields and signatures are displayed as part of posts and profiles. :slight_smile:

Regarding smilies, what we have at present are what is straight out the box. There'll be opportunities for us to get smilies replenished and rejigged, but it would be quite a bit down the to-do list due to other issues which need addressing first. :slight_smile:

#68 Martin, Jun 14, 2017
  9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah that's too bad...I'll almost always access from my phone.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and to everyone for all the hard work in getting the site updated!!

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a way to view the desktop version on a mobile device?

11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BUG REPORT -

A post I created in EC 1.0 contains the pride flag emoticon/emoji which displays as

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

in EC 2.0, creating a much different message than I intended :slight_smile:

#71 SiennaFire, Jun 14, 2017
  12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha I tried to respond to that exact same thread of yours with Pride flags, and ended up with that too :grin: yeah not what I intended!

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there is things that we don't understand can we ask someone?

14. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're basically right. Part of the request on this thread was to do away with the "last seen" notification on our Profiles. However, I also see a "last activity" field on our Profile pages and that seems to be just fine for doing what I was requesting without the green dot.

15. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to say thank you! This new interface is a great change, and I'll bet it took a lot of work. Thank you!

Patrick

16. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I should have mentioned this before, but can we change the link on your username to point to your wall instead of profile settings?

17. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow! Glad to see this site revamped, it's always been wonderfully kind, busy, and active for forums these days so I'm really happy to see it's layout getting dusted off so hopefully it will continue to be just as helpful and bustling! Also quite like the new ability to like posts, watch threads, and the neater organizational aspects of it.

One thing I am missing thought are the customizable options on the personal details for gender and sexuality. It really seemed to be one of the defining features that made this forum stand out from others. This seems to have already been brought up quite a bit though, so I'm sure it's being considered, but just thought I'd contribute a link to a thread I made with mine and a few others opinions on the topic as well, though: gender + sexuality drop down lists

Glad to be back! Thanks so much for all your guys' work!!

18. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, I can't find a way which allows mobiles to revert to desktop mode. What may be an option would be to look and see if the mobile layout can be amended to include those basic fields somewhere on the display.

I can look into that and see. :slight_smile:
    At present, we haven't got any vB EC smilies transferred over to here. There will be an opportunity for the smilies to be updated to better align them with our old selection, so issues like that can be ironed out then. The solutions will be relatively simple to fix once we know what emoji codes we'll be using. :slight_smile:

Of course. There's this thread, or you can also use the Help and Feedback forum, or Ask The Staff if the issue is something which is more private that you'd like to discuss just to the staff team. :slight_smile:

The staff are themselves also settling into the software, so I'd just remind people that there may be times when staff need to refer you to others, or you might accidentally get contradictory information. If the latter happens, point it out to us and we can get it resolved, as there'll be a learning experience for us in there too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Please see this post regarding that issue: https://forum.emptyclosets.com/index.php?threads/welcome-to-ec-2-0.457426/page-2#post-6477550

There is no easy solution to this at present, so it is one of a few things we have had to launch without to prevent further delays coming back online. It is on the agenda for discussing how to proceed with it though, so I'm afraid it's a 'watch this space' dilemma whilst we get everything up and running, and all the pending issues discussed and resolved. :slight_smile:

19. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One more thing. I know it's probably a small thing, but I also liked how on the previous version of the site, the cookie stored on my computer automatically cleared when I logged out. This one doesn't seem to do that. It's not really a big deal, but I didn't have to worry about traces of it remaining on my computer that way.

I'm sorry if I'm nitpicking at small things here and there. I really do like the new look and update of the site, I just want others to have a good experience.

#79 BothWaysSecret, Jun 14, 2017
  20. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The mobile browsers should have a setting in them to force them to show the desktop version. It's done in browser settings.

In XenForo, smilies are a plugin, which must be purchased unless a free one can be found. Many things come as plugins with XenForo software. I have been an admin and a tech admin on a XenForo site before.