1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UK EU Referendum - 23/06/2016

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How will you vote in the EU referendum?

1. Voting to Remain

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Voting to Leave

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not voting

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. Synesthesia

Are people really saying that? What idiots.

2. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. They didn't believe that the UK was going to leave the EU. They either thought remain would win or the UK just wouldn't leave.There are many leave voters who are actually regretting their votes now.

#162 radicalmuffins, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh, you should see some of the comments on MSN about it being a "victory" and "brainwashed, spoiled millennials" not having the wisdom of their grandparents who lived before the EU.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know, I would die to be in the EU. Going around in any country who is a member without any visa? Hell yeah, would be awesome.

The only good outcome in my opinion is that Scotland will finally get its independence. I thought that maybe Catalonia would have it before (still possible, actually), but I think Scotland might just get it even before them. What's sure though, is that we won't get ours before Scotland does.

5. mirkku

Not only are they saying it privately / sort of publicly (hello fb) online, but they also do so on national TV and related forums. It came as a shock, really, naive me thought that people of at least 18 years of age would have learned by now that votes count, and this is why you're asked to vote. Also, the fact that many UK residents are only NOW googling "what is the EU?" is quite hilarious and very sad. Urg.

6. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "I only wanted the world to burn as a meme! I was being ironic! Please stabilize again!"

#166 derVaminoi, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  7. Umme

Btw Gibraltar is screwed. 12000 people working in Gibraltar cross over the border every day. Now it will be a lot more difficult to do that, so a lot of people will be out of jobs, and Gibraltar will be out of staff.

Also, one of the most popular google searches a little bit after the referendum was "What is the EU". Another one was "What does it mean to leave the EU".

8. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
  9. mirkku

"I thought the government had decided to remain anyway, I was just being rebellious for the kick of it, please ignore my jumping off the cliff and send me back up on land again! ;_;"

radicalmuffins, (this username is so lovely) did it / would it work?

10. Lazuri

Interesting that the signatures are mostly from England.

11. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    (hahaha thank you) It will be up to parliament to decide but I fear this may only deepen the divide that was already caused by the referendum so this must be taken very seriously. Probably a strong argument for a second referendum would be the fragmentation of the UK-- with Northern Ireland and Scotland planning to leave, it is a very real threat to the existence of the UK as a country.

I'm very conflicted about this to be quite honest.

12. 741852963

The Leave campaigns lies coming out now:
    -No the NHS will not get £350million a week (because that money doesn't exist at all because: 1. We do not spend that much on the EU, 2. Even if we did, if that was directed all towards the NHS it would mean drastic cuts for other areas the EU subsidies are directed, 3. the money we pay paves the way for trade which generates further money)
    -There will still be some free movement of people regardless (as it is required to stay in the Single Market), so no we will not just close our borders or reduce immigration significantly

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/746466834610692096

I think this first voter was an accurate summary of the vast majority of what I've seen:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/45d75041-bf52-486a-91cc-59bd64a2e290

In summary "It's not about trade or Europe, its all about immigration. We have to stop the Muslims".

How is this different from what Donald Trump is selling? These are the sort of people who would be happy living under Trump! Well now they have Boris as PM so I suppose that is a happy medium for them. A privileged, elitist, racist, homophobic and violent man entrusted to protect us all for at least the next three years. What can go wrong?

And this demonstrates the idiocy of the decision on equality. The EU has often been dramatic in channelling funding to those who need it most. And now leave voters want to have their cake and eat it.

Cornwall backs Brexit then asks to be allowed to keep its EU funding | UK | News | London Evening Standard

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2016 at 02:34 AM ----------

The EU referendum is not a natural occurance existing since time immomorium. No, it is a man-made event, triggered and designed by a parliament of men.

Just as the decision to bar under 18s from the vote is a "rule" - it doesn't mean it is cemented and free from challenge (in fact it was challenged).

Are you not aware that votes can require simple or super majorities depending on the matter being voted on? In this instance (given the grave severity of the decision) a super-majority would have been fairer.

It is the same as we see in out legal system for example. Juries typically require unanimous decisions or super-majorities. They don't go "Well 7 out of 12 think you are guilty, lock him up!" for that very reason.

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2016 at 02:42 AM ----------

Just 37% of the eligible electorate voted to leave.

#172 741852963, Jun 25, 2016
  13. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The English and welsh are the only people who have something to say for now that their vote has counted to us leaving. Scotland and northern Ireland, by a large margin, voted remain, whilst England and Wales voted out. Actually the only 3 areas which voted remain over leave were scotland, northern Ireland and London.

#173 Aberrance, Jun 25, 2016
  14. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    oh no hen, this is for the petition. the darker the colour, the more people are signing the petition from that area.

15. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well disgraceful bigoted nincompoop Nigel Farage had said last month in an article in the Mirror that in the event of a 48-52 result, he would want a second referendum. Personally I think I would be a hypocrite to support that since the vote didn't go my way (plus I wouldn't support any of the bile that Farage has to say.) While I do think that 37% of the eligible voters in the UK voting to leave should not be enough to take the country out of the EU, I guess it's for those in charge to decide.

It's a very divisive situation, we have no idea what the 28% who didn't vote wanted, but also there are young people who were able to vote in last year's Scottish referendum but weren't in this one that wanted us to remain. The majority of Scotland wants to remain, but it was a very close decision in a lot of parts of England and Wales and I do see this bringing a lot of division and feelings of uncertainty. Boris and Nigel leading the UK is more than enough for me to want Scotland to become independent, but being taken out of the EU against our will is a strong factor too. I also disliked seeing idiot Donald Trump come back over here to try and manipulate things to suit his own personal agenda, but I did like seeing some of the twitter responses some of which are listed here.

16. mirkku

radicalmuffins and Davo, that's it, I am adopting you two. Mother Mirkku will defend your lovely butts and listen to your sobs.

Did they just not vote, or were they prevented to? The number of voters from Scotland was indeed quite low... what a shame :/

But the question is: when isn't Drumpf trying to manipulate uneducated? :rolle:

#176 mirkku, Jun 25, 2016
  17. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "I love the poorly educated!" -Donald J. Trump, 2016

Actual quote from February. :roflmao:

18. mirkku

Bless. :rolle:

19. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm just curious, if people change their minds in a few years let's say, can UK rejoin the EU? I'd love to visit England at some point without undergoing endless visa procedures.

As an outsider, I see the leave scarcely beneficial to the British. As for the rest of Europe, especially the developing countries, this is massively bad news. But then again, we can't claim anything from anyone, it's your choice at the end of the day.

20. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! (!)

The SNP has been in favour of reducing the voting age from 18 to 16, and when we had the independence referendum in 2014 (I wrongly thought it was more recent than that, how time flies), 16 year olds were allowed to vote. I think lowering the voting age has been on the agenda in the UK, Labour would have implemented it had they won in last year's General Election, but they didn't. So in this referendum the voting age was 18.

We had 84.6% turnout for Scottish Independence, compared with only 67.2% turnout from Scotland in the EU referendum.

No once the UK leaves I don't think they can rejoin. If Scotland, Northern Ireland (or London) get Independence and manage to stay in the EU then you could always visit us.

#180 Davo, Jun 25, 2016