Is LGBT common where you are?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silverdeer, Mar 6, 2016.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Where I live at the schools no one talks about lgbt and there are never any lgbt couples I have seen in public the whole 8 years I have lived here. We have about 100,000 people and it seems like something very taboo here.

2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't even know. I've known a few people that I definitely knew were in the community. Other than that, I've never made that much of an effort to find out how prevalent the community is here. Oh, and when going out in all of the years that I've lived in this state, I've probably only seen 10-11 gay couples. Though you may be interested to know that the majority of those couples involved were lesbian.

#2 PlantSoul, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. Just Adam

Where I live it is a bit conservative... Ok very conservative and really we have no groups and no real meeting place where people can hang get to know one another. It has been very tough tbh and think it is only getting harder here as the support network for LGBT+ individuals has been shrinking if anything.

I would say though don't be down heartened as online communities such as this are of such great benefit and can be a great doorway to the support and friendships that can last a lifetime. A real life physical support network is very important too and places like this can be a great gateway through those new friends to find others locally creating new support networks.

Also on the couple visibility thing, same the ones I see are usually female. Maybe says something about society but male couples are out there =)

4. Mariliss

My city is like the gayest city. Except some parts are kind of dangerous now because of [large tech company name redacted]'s new employees from out of town. Also my school is about 1/3 not straight according to an anonymous survey, but the school's environment is not welcoming at all (especially among guys, like, holy hell) so almost everyone is in the closet. I'm pretty sure I'm the only out lesbian at this school. There are no same-gender relationships here. It just doesn't happen. Ever.

I've resigned myself to this fate.

#4 Mariliss, Mar 6, 2016
  5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh definitely. Since moving from secondary school to sixth form college there's a lot more LGBT acceptance. Even in school with kids 16 and under people were fairly alright with the few lesbians and gay people that came out, I also had a teacher that came out as a transwoman when I was in year 9.

At college we have a gay-staight alliance (I've never been though) and its not uncommon to see queer couples holding hands or making out in the canteen. There are also quite a few out trans kids which is good to see. Some people stare but mostly people keep to themselves, in a bigger school people care less about others and just focus on what's going on in their own lives. I live in a fairly diverse, large city so that could be a big factor in it being more common here.

#5 Aberrance, Mar 6, 2016
  6. Harve

Yeah there are loads of gays. It's not so obvious in terms of 'community' though. By that I don't really see the need for gay rugby clubs and lesbian knitting associations and indeed they don't really exist to the extent they seem(ed) to in the US. In a country where the vast majority are accepting, and it's homophobia and not homosexuality which is frowned upon here, there's not much need for self-segregation is there?

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much this. I can't speak for anyone else but I definitely don't feel the need for 'gay-only' clubs or whatever. I feel like most people here are accepting enough that it just isn't necessary. A homophobe openly expressing anti-gay sentiment has a much, much bigger chance of being ostracised than a gay person anyway - much like racism, people won't tolerate it.

#7 imnotreallysure, Mar 6, 2016
  8. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My town has about 1500 people and if I even attempted to come out in this small town I'd get the shut beat out of me it's very taboo here lots of people hate on gays here!

9. MayaBee

Well, I have never met anyone who is against LGBT (except two guys from my class, but they arent aggressive about it, they just think stupid things like if a kid has two same sex parents it will be mobbed in school etc) but I think I only saw a gay couple once and the (I dont know how to call it in english) woman who leads my school is a lesbian. And since I am on a websites for LGbT in Switzerland I have actually met some people from my school on there. I just think people where I live dont show it that much.

10. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my country Lgbt is like non existent,and everybody is like a homophobe,infact its like being a part of lgbt sucks here :S

#10 bidemi, Mar 6, 2016
  11. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really. I mean there's some LGBT people around, but it's not very usual to see same gender couples in my town, at least being open about it in public.

12. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As my mom says, "this is a great city to be LGBT!"
    It's true. Our school has a GSA and a large "network" of kids who know each other. I've never heard of a person getting picked on for it in the high school. I know of several gay couples going to prom. We don't really have a trans scene, so I'm not sure how the administration is gonna react when I come out, but I'm cautiously hopeful. There's more out non binary people than binary trans, I only know of one trans girl and she isn't out to most people.

In our city, there's a lot of LGBT resources, the gender clinic I go to isn't too far from home (30 minutes, across the city) and it specializes in youth which is pretty cool.

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It isn't as common as I would like it to be. Growing up, I didn't know too many LGBT people. I can only think of one openly gay kid at my high school. He wasn't outright bullied, but I do remember people making snide comments about him behind his back. So while this isn't a place where people will shout at you about the "sins" of homosexuality, it's still not a place where it's considered perfectly normal. That said, there is a decent LGBT presence here at UNR (even though I'm not active in it).

14. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone talked about having that LGBT friend yet they still seemed so rare when I was in high school.

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thankfully, I live in one of the best states to be trans. LGBT is very accepted here and there are lots of resources available. I didn't go to school here, so I cannot vouch on that, nor do I know any LGBT "contacts" but tis a nice place from what I can tell.

16. the haunted

Yes. Although it's Texas, Houston is pretty queer.

17. BigBagOfBlank

When I drive to the big city in my area for theater or cosplay events, it's pretty diverse. You go downtown and there are gay bars, rainbow flags, all that jazz. But I live in a suburb that seems to be straight as a knife.
    Although I've met/seen quite a few gays and lesbians in the city, I honestly think I've only seen ONE lesbian couple where I live. Ever. In my life.
    ... Why are all the girls either taken or straight? :'(

18. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, there many LGBT-friendly places you can go in my city.We actually host one of the biggest Pride Parades in the world. And my college is friendly as well.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to say. Either there's more people out than I know and I'm just oblivious or everyone is in the closet.

20. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I live in the DC area, so I see lots of gay people around. Not couples necessarily, but I have decent gaydar.