1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual Erasure

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Taly, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Cider

Why on earth do people have to bitch about things that aren't relevant to them AT ALL? I mean, it's fine to have an opinion, but that doesn't mean everyone wants to hear it, or will take it well if you say it. I've even seen some gay people on this website say that "I wouldn't date a bisexual person because they are cheaters and afraid of commitment."

I mean seriously? How on earth are we supposed to get people to stop being homophobic and such when we have prejudices in our own LGBT community?

And also, to all of the people that say that loving more than one gender is impossible or being in denial, here's a big middle finger for you because I personally think that the ability to love and be attracted to more than one gender is beautiful and amazing.

2. sappho06

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    YES! I wanted to start a thread about this. There are way more bisexuals than there are of gays and lesbians! And how many jokes and comments do I read about them? Way too many. Some gay girls saying that they wouldn't date a bisexual because she's leave her for a guy... well if she leaves you she leaves you. And sure, we can say that bisexual erasure isn't a big deal, but it kind of is. When my sister told me she was bi, I'd make stupid jokes, and she kept on ranting about bisexual erasure. Then we went to Pride together, and I wanted to buy her bisexual pride flag; impossible to find! I finally found one and she was so happy, but damn it guys, we need more bi flags at Pride!

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the response, the clarification, and for suggesting a concrete alternative.

But I have to say that describing an insistence that my sexuality doesn't exist simply as "disrespect" sounds like under-emotional bullshit.

Treating me like a second-class citizen because I'm bisexual is disrespect.
    Treating me like I'm incapable of monogamy because I'm bisexual is disrespect.
    Treating me like I'm incapable of making up my mind because I'm bisexual is disrespect.
    Treating me like some kind of whore who'll fuck anything because I'm bisexual is disrespect.
    I'd even go so far as to say that beating, raping, or killing me because I'm bisexual is disrespect.

But denying that there is such a thing as bisexuality at all? That transcends disrespect to me. How is "denial" too strong a word for denying that something exists?

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^

5. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it eases you a bit more Chip(and possibly others)

Then maybe a mod can change the title of this thread to: "Bisexual Denial" or something along those lines?

6. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just don't understand how each time there is a conversation about bisexual erasure, in the process of claiming bisexual identity, people will throw generalising statements about the entirety of human sexuality, which essentially leaves a tiny patch for gay and straight identities- and the rest is consumed by the massive bisexual monster.

I've done a poll on EC recently - and http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-...where-do-you-place-yourself-kinsey-scale.html

Out of the 33 people who self- identify as a Kinsey 5, 28 are gay- and 5 are bisexual.

That is: nearly 85% of people who by your definitions are 'bisexual', don't feel they are.

In the EC poll 28 out of 70 gay identified individuals are a Kinsey 5- which places them at 40% of all gay identified individuals, as opposed to the 32 Kinsey 6's who comprise 46% of gay identified people . (btw. This has been replicated in even starker proportions on a specifically lesbian forum- where the majority of lesbians said they are a Kinsey 5.)

The 5 Kinsey 5s who identify as bisexual comprise 12% of all EC bisexual identified individuals. So there is nearly as much Kinsey 5s as 6s who feel they are gay, and comparably few Kinsey 5s who feel that they are bisexual. It also means that the proportion of Kinsey 5s and 6s are nearly the same within the gay identified people.

What this shows is the complexity of human sexuality and identity- and it shows that more gay people fall outside the "strictly" gay category, than we want to openly acknowledge.

By referring to the human sexuality spectrum as 'bisexual spectrum' and by defining bisexuality as 'anyone who is not exclusively a Kinsey 0 or 6' a large proportion of gay people is essentially told that they are 'not really gay, but bisexual'.

It's just not ok- it makes us feel like we don't belong under our own identity/label.

There is one bisexual activism website, called The Bisexual Index- which did exactly that- it rewrote the entirely of the Kinsey scale to claim everyone from 1 to 5 as bisexual.

I see it being used over and over again to absorb the entirety of the human sexuality into the bisexual identity.

We all want bisexual people to be more visible, feel more comfortable and for biphobia to stop plaguing our community- but I don't think the way is to rewrite the Kinsey scale, and claim that ca. 40% of gay people are really 'bisexual'- and this is precisely what bisexual activists has been doing through referring to the human sexuality spectrum as 'the bisexual spectrum', and using the broadest definition of bisexuality- so broad that it subsumes nearly half of the gay-identified individuals.

When you talk to a gay- identified person about bisexuality, it is just as likely that you are talking to a Kinsey 5 person, as a 6. What this means that each time you are coming from this super-broad definition of bisexuality they feel like their identity as a gay person is put into question- hence they will get defensive & negative about bisexuality.

7. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Hm, this topic has come up many times. Now gay guys have another 'privilege'. "Nobody thinks you don't exist!", hooray. I shall now put this in the "a bunch of people claiming the sun is a social construct and a bunch of people yelling sun erasure!" category.

Pardon the barely noticeable, insignificant little bit of sarcasm.

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2015 at 08:27 AM ----------

Dear lord, I first read "ease" as "erase" :roflmao:

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should add the following:

To be fair, I don't hear a *lot* of people outright saying "this bisexuality thing is utter bullshit; there is no such thing!"

What I do hear is an awful lot of *acting* as if it doesn't. The assumption that if you have same-sex attraction, then you must be gay (constantly happens). The line from "The Kids Are Alright", after one of the "lesbian" protagonists has sex with a man: "So what...you're straight now?" (one line from one movie, but hardly the only example of its kind...the movie never explores the fact that that woman is clearly bisexual...or even raises the possibility or question!) The term "Gay/Straight Alliance", as if there's no in-between. The term "Gay Marriage" (to which I realize many share my objection...but not for this reason). The list honestly can go on and on.

Suppose starting tomorrow, everyone you know simply started to neglect to acknowledge your existence. You, Glen, and Tony walk into the room, and someone you know says "Hey Glen, hey Tony". Nobody sets a place for you at the table. Almost nobody talks to you or responds when you talk to them. It's not uncommon that at restaurants the waiter will skip taking your order. And occasionally...just occasionally...you hear someone (usually a stranger, but sometimes, most unsettlingly, a friend) saying "X? Who are you talking about? Look, there is no such person as X! That's just a bunch of crap."

I'm guessing you're not going to just feel disrespected, and say "damn, why does nobody respect me?" You're going to feel like people are denying your existence, to erase your presence. Maybe it's just me...or just overly sensitive people...but I'm hazarding such a reaction would not be uncommon, and I posit it is not unreasonable.

Now imagine further that when you voice this feeling that people are trying to erase you, you are told by one of the voices of authority in your world, "Oh, please, stop with the overly emotional dramatic bullshit...*nobody* is trying to erase you!" Can you imagine how that would feel?

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just get tired of people calling me "gay". Not that there is anything wrong at all with that, I am attracted to women too. I may not be attracted to stereotypical females. Since I have come out, I find myself more attracted to bi females because they understand the struggle and won't judge me. At the end of the day, I just don't want judgment. And as for naming, how about we call it "bi marginalization"?

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am still a Kinsey 4 and attracted to guys more. What I meant in the above ^ was when I am attracted to women, they are not the traditional types.

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Kinsey scale was created for a reason :slight_smile:
    Personally, although I like women in a mostly non-sexual way, I find it easier to just identify with my gay side. Although you'd be hard pressed to figure it out unless I told you, I still feel that I am much more attracted to men. So...yeah

#51 Celatus, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess the last part of your sentence negates the fact that we just had a thread about Miley Cyrus coming out as bisexual and 90% of the people thought it was an act and questioned her sexuality. It's interesting. Might I add nobody really had an issue or was overly offended when people said Miley wasn't actually bi and was straight and just seeking attention.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not having a go Austin, but how do you know that?

14. TrueEmpath1185

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been looking for a forum to talk about this. I've identified as bi for 7-10 years at this point and when I come out to people, it's met with varied reactions from "you're confused" to "I think you're 100% Straight" or my personal favorite "you can't be bi if you've never slept with the same gender" which is completely bogus.

How can a person be expected to be 100% authentic when friends and loved ones attempt to discredit and deny what they're being told is true?

15. wanderinggirl

I have no idea why Bi erasure! The vast majority of people are monosexual, and I even think most queer people are monosexual. So people just have trouble understanding it; some might see a man who "went back to" women after a "gay" phase, or a closeted lesbian who finally started dating women, but long term relationships seem to be the way by which people judge each others' sexual preferences. The reality is not so simple, which makes peoples' heads explode.

I don't know if this is common, but for me I experience two very different attractions, with two different natures, and I swing back and forth. I don't experience both at the same time. I don't really understand it myself. I assume it'll take on a more fixed nature over time, and it has as I've mellowed out, but yeah it's frustrating and I don't know how to explain it to people and I don't know anyone to whom I can relate.

16. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To people who say "stop using the word erasure as it's too emotional''

If I can't tell black people how they're supposed to react to racism, or tell women how they're supposed to react to sexism ... then you can't tell me how I'm supposed to react to biphobia.

Also to people who say ''don't give a s*** about what they say"

Bisexual people need to fight for their rights, if we don't then they're never going to change. Too many gay people are saying this, but if I said this to gay people about homophobic people, then your rights would have never changed.

@biAnnika ... okay, so I didn't like ''The Kids are Alright'' in general because it's not the story line I thought it was going to be, but that line annoyed me as well. I also hated it how they made her cheat, given the bi stereotype that I see too often in film.

I know I'm probably going to get some kind of s*** for my comment but whatever.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apples and oranges comparision.

"Erasure" is an inaccurate, emotional, and dramatic word that is simply bullshit and has no value in furthering discussion of the issue. No one is "completely obliterating all evidence" (which is what "erasure" means) of bisexuality. Someone might be saying that they don't believe in it... but that doesn't somehow magically make all existence of it go away.

And, for that matter, it isn't "biphobia" either because I seriously doubt anyone is actually phobic toward bisexuals.

When we use dramatic and inaccurate language, we risk alienating those who might otherwise listen to what we have to say.

The bottom line is, bisexuality isn't even slightly in dispute among anyone credible. The research is clear that bisexuality exists, is real, and has been documented for over 70 years. Anyone who denies the existence of bisexuality might as well be denying the existence of blue skies, and deserves to be treated just as seriously.

If people want to have their ignorant beliefs, there's nothing we can do about it. The facts are there, they aren't in dispute, and anyone who values factual information can't really dispute them. But some people will, in the same way some people still argue that being gay is a choice. You can't really do much with people who refuse to look at factual information, other than to let them live in ignorance. But when you let their ignorance interfere with your enjoyment of life... that's when it gets to be a problem.

18. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Then why don't you tell me how I'm supposed to feel then?

Because you're the one whose being ignorant. I mean, having gay people call you ''greedy, promiscious, indecisive'' that's biphobic because they're scared of being in a relationship with me due to things that aren't even true (or might be for some bisexuals, but no different from gay and straight).

I know what I am and to have tell people I'm not, and then to have gay people tell me I can't be upset and feel isolated [in terms of not having a relationship when I'm older due to prejudice] by this, what kind of support group is this?

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know... to me (and this is just my personal opinion), if you're more concerned with the term bisexual erasure, over bisexuals actually being overlooked, excluded, and denied, then that seems like a case of misplaced priorities. Assuming you're an ally to the cause, of course.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not my place to tell you how to feel. I'm simply pointing out that in any given situation, we have choices. And when we let someone else's behavior or ignorance dictate how we feel, we're ceding an awful lot of our own power to that other person... and that generally isn't a very happy, fulfilling, or empowering way to live life.

Interesting and rather judgmental statement, given that I've given clear and sensible reasons (which, rather than being based in ignorance are, instead, based in logic, reason, facts, and current thinking, not to mention proper use of language.)

So are those things true? (I'm going to assume they're not.) Think about what you just wrote... because they're scared of being in a relationship with me . That their fear. It's not about you. It's about their own self-worth. If the people who say things like that were genuinely emotionally healthy and felt worth of love and belonging, they would not be fearful of someone potentially stealing their partner away. I'd hazard a guess that these same people, when in a relationship with a person who isn't bisexual, are still jealous and insecure... because, again, the problem is with them and not with bisexual people.

Even if the problem is their misperception of bisexuality, we don't generally have very good luck educating someone who is ignorant by using emotionally laden words that smack of victimhood; we're more likely to reach them and have them hear us when we can put ourselves in their shoes, understand their fears and concerns, and connect to them from that place. Otherwise, we risk simply further reinforcing the stereotypes, fears, and self-loathing that these people are already experiencing, and locking them down further into their beliefs.

I don't know where the idea came from that you can't tell people you're bisexual, but it certainly can't be inferred reasonably from anything I said. I also didn't say you couldn't feel upset, only that when you choose to let it upset you (and it is always a choice to let someone else's statements or behaviors impact how we feel), that's a choice you make.

As to what type of support group EC is... we are focused on helping people better themselves, learn the necessary information to make wise choices, and better understadnd themselves and those around them. Some people think that "support" means blind acceptance of whatever anyone says. That isn't support; it's being a "yes person". Being a "yes person" would be the easy path; a bot could do it.

Encouraging people to think about why they feel how they feel, about how their own actions impact their own feelings, and how empathy plays a role in understanding how others are acting is actually a lot harder. And doing that genuinely helps people (that is, assuming they want to do so) to develop a richer and better understanding of the world and how to live fully and richly in it.