1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that churches have a right to refuse marrying a same-sex couple?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WallWeed, Jun 26, 2015.

?

Do churches have a right to refuse to marry a gay couple?

1. Yes

92 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. Other (care to elaborate?)

14 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    the problem here is that we've got two sides with opposite ideas trying to merge. I think that you shouldn't need a priest to do it necessarily

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course they have the right.

3. 447

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Of course they should. I would rather have someone stand for their beliefs instead of making me happy if it goes against their consciences. I wouldn't go against mine, I won't make them go against theirs. I'd rather just be friends with everyone.

4. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes... But I think any church that does is an institution I want nothing to do with...

5. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

is it bad that I don't want to get married in a churches cause I don't.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course - marriage ceremonies are purely decorative, after all. It is only equality in legal rights that were civilly necessary.

You don't...again, purely decorative. All that is actually needed is to file for a marriage license.

#46 Browncoat, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  7. candyjiru

Churches, yes. Of course! And I wouldn't want to get married in a church that was anti-gay, tbh...

Government, no. Public organizations, no.

8. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. In the Netherlands this is already impossible, churches cannot refuse to marry same-sex couples. The weigerambtenaar (civil servant who refuses to marry homosexual couples - Wiktionary) does not exist anymore. If you refuse to marry same-sex couples, then you are not qualified for the job.

If you are not willing to marry same-sex couples, find another job.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the UK, churches and religious institutions are exempted from legislation and must choose to opt in to perform religious ceremonies. So far, Quakers, Unitarians and Liberal Jewish congregations have decided to opt in.

The Church of England would have to convene a meeting of the General Synod first to change Canon Law and then parliamentary approval and royal assent would be required. It's a tall order, but if it gets through synod the triple lock will break as parliament and the Queen would rubber stamp synods decision.

I wasn't happy to see the triple lock for the Church of England as many PCC's and Vicars (including my own) wouldn't blink at the idea of marrying a same sex couple.. but that's the law. We will continue to campaign for change from within.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Other:
    Churches have the right to refuse to perform religious marriage, within their community.
    They do not, as liscensed officials of the state, have the right to deny civil marriage.

This problem doesn't exist in the Netherlands, because only the state can issue civil marriages. You can get married in a church, but will still need to visit the local registry to register for civil marriage.

Damn you Quem, beat me to it :eusa_snoo

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I see it, churches are free to add whatever additional requirements they want on top of the basic state requirements if they are going to perform the wedding. Really, the only reason I see for clergy to perform weddings for the state is the convienience of the couple's.

12. MonsterAnarchy

i believe they should have a right to do that..
    i dont think its fair to do it, but it wouldnt be fair to force them into something they don't support in.
    it's not right to force anyone to do anything.

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But you clarified my post. =) I was a bit vague, your post makes it much more understandable. =]

14. doc

doc

I guess you're talking about a law change in the USA? We've had gay marriage here for some time and, guess what, society has not collapsed. I think it is only right that secular law has acknowledged this human right. In time all the more conservative churches will move that way too - I hope. Organised religion is far from perfect and changes in big conservative organisations can take time. If their heart is in the right place (and it should be!) they will come round eventually. If they don't then maybe they aren't really listening to God. IMHO.

15. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same stance and background as you.

Have to maintain religious rights and can't force them to do something they aren't comfortable with or that's also discrimination.

Also I'm pretty sure LGBT people wouldn't want to be married by someone who doesn't agree with what they're doing anyways...

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a bunch of gay couples who are overjoyed at the chance to finally get married. And I can guarantee that they want precisely what all straight couples want for their wedding - their "perfect day". And what "perfect day" would include a hostile environment, or a forced-by-law preacher performing the ceremony? No - they want to get married at places where they've always been accepted, by somebody who cares about them. And that might be at a gay-friendly church, but it's just as likely to be in another public space, or at a home.

Lex

17. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course!!!!!!

As much of an injustice as it is... Forcing this on religions would be a HUGE violation of religious freedom. People can believe whatever they want.

As a side note, spellcheck corrected "religious freedom" to "delicious freedom" and I almost left it that way because freedom is in fact delicious. Merica.

18. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, absolutely. Freedom of religion.

And please tell me: why would any self-respecting gay person want to get married at a church that rejects their "lifestyle" and is only being forced to do it?

There should be no forcing of churches to sell out their values; that is not America.

19. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't it puzzling how, in essence, this is quite the same as the Christian bakery discussion? If you'd go to a Christian bakery, are they allowed to refuse to give you food (assuming you are not straight)? Or can they refuse someone based on their skin colour, if they can make their faith justify it? If the answer is twice 'no', then I don't see a reason why one would see this as a different issue.

It's essentially the same.

Because they feel connected to that church, maybe? Perhaps one wants to marry in the church he or she grew up in.

20. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^But if you really cared about your church, you wouldn't try and get them to against their beliefs and be forced by the government to do something they don't want to do. Why have a marriage full of resentment?