1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "do I pass" thread

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Just Jess, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Folieadeux

Hey guys! I know I don't really pass right now, but do you have any tips on how I could get my hair cut so it is more masculine? The lady feminized it and it's almost been two months since I got it cut so it is getting long and is in need of a cut!
    Pictures in my album! :slight_smile:

2. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Folieadeux, you look like a young cisguy I used to know. He had a similar hairstyle too. To be honest, if I saw you out and about on the street, I'd pin you as a young boy. Mind you, quite young.

3. Folieadeux

Nice, thanks!
    I'm a young teen, so I'm totally fine with that and it makes sense considering my age.

4. Tardis221B

Hey :slight_smile: So...Barring my female clothing... just going by my face, what gender do think I'd be read as on the street? (photos in an album on my profile) I'm sort of going for ambiguous look.

5. Mischief

Mischief Guest

You look freakin great. Congrats on the binder, friend!

6. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That makes sense then, Folieadeux!

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It works very well. Tips... Maybe let your eyebrows grow a bit more. Otherwise, you pass.

Could be worse. Shave the sides, and cut a lot from the top, but don't go berserk like me.

Can't see them :confused:

I'll post mine later.

8. Tardis221B

I ended up taking them down.... my question was answered when several people on the street called me madame....

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You are in France, women's lovers country. Here up north, you might get a different treatement.

It's up to you if you want to satisfy my curiosity :icon_wink

10. AsheTheHuman

I know I don't pass %100, but, do I at least look okay? I know I need to do my eyebrows. And what about my hair? I'm thinking of getting a pixie cut. Would that look okay on me, you think? Pictures are in my gallery. I don't know why they've been rotated.:lol:Any other advice would help too. Thank you!

11. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Just because you don't always pass doesn't mean you don't pass at all.maybe people here can give you some tips.have a little confidence in yourself ^^

12. Tardis221B

Okay fine :icon_wink I posted them

13. Folieadeux

Hello again! :slight_smile:
    Didn't know where to ask, but I plan on dying my hair or a portion of my hair. I was thinking either something really bright, or a lighter brown/blonde? I don't really know what colors would look good though? Any ideas? (pictures of me in my album)

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The haircut is great, and so is your eye color... Damn, you are a handsome fellow! (no-homo intentions here, ok? :icon_bigg)
    Being a guy in your case is being you, there is no doubt about it. Doesn't suit you being androgynous at all.

You can do a lot of stuff with that hair in terms of styling. Also you could try (maaybe) to cut a bit shorter on the sides and at the back too, but otherwise... To me, you pass, doc, and the girls are going to love those green eyes.

The clothing, and the way you walk/act betray us. From what I've observed, americans and french are excel at being the gender police.
    Germans are way more relaxed (I observe feminine acting guys here daily, they even do girly stuff with their legs. A huge contrast with what I saw when I lived in Cali). The stuff about clothing is for real, so get men's clothing (specially jeans) as soon as possible... People is going to start singing a different tune, or at least they will doubt before calling you whatever. It's happening here already.

15. shota

shota Guest

your so right cause when I do pass people are like omg gay guy it's just funny to me at this point I don't really care if I pass or not some times I just dis gender

16. Tardis221B

Oh my god, Vodka, you're post just made my day :grin: I was totally blushing reading through the whole thing, and had a giant awkward grin on my face reading the whole thing, thanks man! (maybe I'll post a picture of the awkward grin later :icon_wink)

And yeah, I really want to get my hair cut even shorter, even this length still feels long, lol. (I'm counting down 3 more weeks until I'll go again, but different stylist for sure) I'm thinking of something more like Benni's hair cut in my current profile pic.

And yeah, I definitely agree, body language defintely plays a big part in passing, espceially in the US. Guys, get weird looks if they even so much as cross their legs sitting down, I don't get it. And you're completely right; I know i have really effeminate gestures, but for now I'm just going to say screw it; if I'm gonna be me, I'm gonna be me, effeminate gestures and all.

But you're completely right about the clothes thing, and I need to buy men's clothing. I keep walking past the men's section and staring longingly, but I never can bring myself to so much a leaf through the racks. I think tomorrow when I go book shopping for lit class I'll try to come back with at least a tie and a button up shirt, and maybe a razor to experiment with shaving peach fuzz. (and well of course a book :icon_wink)

And thanks again so, soo much. It really means a lot to hear someone else say that they can see me for me. Its a strange feeling when you feel like you're the only person who can see the man who you really are, so to have someone say they can see you too really means a lot, seriously thank you (*hug*)

Also, peeked in your album, and if I might say so you are quite the handsome fellow yourself :icon_wink

17. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Tardis221B I think you pass and you look cute :slight_smile:

18. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Tardis I think you pass pretty well, I think those French girls were telling you you're pretty after your haircut as a way to comfort you because you look like a guy lol. I won't comment on looks because that would be creepy, since I am quite homo.

Vodkabaret is right, it's better up North, once you get past Bavaria. Just a short trip on the high-speed rail, and you'll be amazed. You wouldn't believe how many butch women and feminine men, even trans people, I see on a daily basis, just commuting to and from work (not to mention the people at work ... several of them).

19. scarstar14

I'll have to dig up more pictures of me allowing the guy inside me out, so far right now the only really recent one is the same one that is now my profile pic (the fauxhawk one), ill look deep in my old iphone albums since i just cleaned off my phone to free space. I know i dont really pass... and in all honestly who knows if i want to all the time, but thats a whole other topic. What can i think about to look and present more male. Both looks and behavior i guess. Be critical I can handle it :slight_smile:

edit: ehhhh yeah the profile didnt change... i have no clue if the pic i was even talking about was loaded now... ignore the hat and glasses picture, its old and i lost weight since it

edit again: well its still not showing up as my profile but its the only picture i have in an album so yeah. Thanks ahead of time!

#1819 scarstar14, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  20. AsheTheHuman

Any advice about my hair? Thinking about a pixie cut.